Road Ride Easy Century

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    A few of us are doing a century tomorrow, but there's plenty of bailout options as in you just turn around. We are riding SART from Green River to the Queen Mary and back. Almost entirely flat with less then 700 feet over the entire route. Pace will be on the slower side (somewhere around 18 mph) as a few are going to do it on fixed geared. Standard rules apply and no one gets left behind.

Sorry I don't have the patience to figure out how to post this in the ride calender.

Meet at the Jack in the box on Green River at 7 am.

If you're going please PM me so I can look for you.

Bring tube/s, two water bottles, snack and a little money for lunch. I figure we will be riding around 5 to 6 hours, but will probably make it back closer to 8.

2. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Dang collar bone.I would love to do it.Sweet ride idea Mike.Post up pics when you finish the ride.

3. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Thats a good ride I have done it a few times. Nice, easy and flat. Should be a hot day though so plan for that!

4. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Oh man, gotta make it to fully tomorrow. Did 55 miles on the road today, wish I knew about it earlier.

5. Tmac

Tmac Lonewolf

moving cans from here to there
    Man, that sounds like a good time. Wish I didn't have to work. Damm job always getting in the way of ridding.:mad:

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Damnit, If I didnt already have plans on hangin with the family I would be all over this ride, its a great ride to go on for those who havent gone yet

7. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Earlier notice if you can next time it comes up Mike. :wave:
    I got in 80 today and already committed for tomorrow.

8. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Sundays are bad for me. Mike, can you do this again on a Saturday soon?? I'd love to do this one.

9. TeamDEKEbmx

TeamDEKEbmx Member

Re/Max Realtor
    Home Page:
    Green river to Queen Mary 50 mi? I do that twice a week. I think it is more like 80mi. I never clocked it.

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Nope we had 3 computers and all read the same mileage. 100 miles after we did a few miles of extra credit.

We had a few guys not show so we started out with 4 instead of the 6 we thought we'd have. My good riding bud showed up on his fixie and wanted to abuse himself, so we obliged him and took off a little quick. Pace out went right up to 22mph but my bud couldn't hang so we slowed down a little but he gave us the green light to go ahead. So I took it up a notch and after loosening up the legs a little got up to 23 and was able to hold it there. I rode at this rate for a while till I came up on a couple of guys who were clicking along at 20+ so I decided to jump in with them. We took turns pulling and the miles flew by. When we came up to my groups, regroup spot I had to let them go. My group showed up a lot later then I thought they would but I'm not complaing as it gave me some rest time. We went out again, and again I was given the green light so I took off for the beach and maintained an excellent pace the whole way down. I did work with a few but managed to ride away from them. I got down to the beach and looked at my average and I was at 21.3! Not bad for the first 30. So the mode was set for the day. I'd ride out and wait for my buds down the road. As far as the weather and conditions, it couldn't have been better. On the way back I even had company as one of the guys found his legs and could stay with me but he wouldn't pull. So we rode hard to the next regroup and this time we had quite a wait but it was no biggy as it just gave us time to eat another ice cream sandwich. Next time out the other guy took off out front by himself and I chased him down. Again I did most the pulling and after another 8 miles or so he fell off but wasn't to far back. I finished the ride at 98 miles so I went back down the hill to find my bud on his fixed. After riding back a few miles I found him plugging along. It's a lot of work to ride a bike like that over that distance but he gave it his all and did great. He wanted to make sure he could do the Amtrak Century next month. I have no doubt he'll do great. Overall I did manage a good average at just .2 miles under 20 mph. (19.8). Now I'm contemplating training on riding a sub 5 hour century.

11. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Sweet! I'd love to join you guys next time.

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Well there is a club ride going out next week out of Yorba Linda park but it's only 60 miles. I think it starts at 8. Everyone is invited.

13. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

Sat or Sun?

14. TeamDEKEbmx

TeamDEKEbmx Member

Re/Max Realtor
    Home Page:
    Woot! I have been under estimating for 2.5 months. I will go with yall next week.

15. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Any more info about it by chance??? I might try to get in on it

16. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    The ride is for Sunday. The meet spot is at Yorba Linda Park at 8 am, off the 91 at Imperial. Go up to La Palma I believe and at make a right and it's the first or second parking lot. here's a link:

http://www.cyclingconnection.org/

17. redcheetah

redcheetah New Member

Pain Freak - My GF and I have considered attending some of these rides you post on the SART but we usually only average about 15mph. I think we would drastically slow you down. Do you ever have slower rides for the mere mortals out there?

18. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I have at times, last ride I did we called it a fun ride, so it ended up moving between 12 and 15 MPH. took us longer than normal to get there, but most booked it on the way back. was a good time. Nice thing about this ride is that you can go it alone and not worry about getting lost, leftbehind ETC. when you hit the coast, north is Huntington, south is Newport. Think I might be hitting this on Sunday myself