Easton Carbon Bars?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BikeThePlanet, Aug 4, 2014.

1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  2. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

I got the Havoc Carbon a couple months ago, first carbon bar for me. They work, haven't broke, and were the right width for me (750mm). Absorbs some of the buzz to. I also like the rise and sweep (5 and 9 degree) better than my old 4 and 8.

The Haven carbon in the Jenson link is 710mm. If it's it's wide enough for you, it's super light and ought to be ok for xc/trail ish stuff. For me, my first trip to carbon, I didn't want to go "too light". just my opinion. Good luck!

3. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    I like Havoc- as much as i beat up my bike- they took a licking and kept on ticking, all tho- Easton makes great product. 90bucks is a great deal.

I will share this, the weight and durability of the stock bars (on my old XTC) made me faster down hill. I had more control and traction feel vs. carbon bars. Carbon made the front end too light for my taste. No traction feel no matter what tire pressure. So i went with carbon rail seat instead, that made up the difference in weight (vs.stock weight components).

BTP- just sharing the info i experienced- GL with the bars, they look great.

4. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I was thinking weight as much as dampening. I figured on a rigid every little bit helps. Also, I heard wide is better on a SS, helps with a little leverage when pulling and and climbing?

5. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Easton makes solid components. I've used their products over the years and don't recall ever being disappointed.

In my pile of parts is a carbon Easton bar. It's shorter than today's norm at 24", and it's a 25.4mm bar. But t have a 25.4 x 100 aluminum stem to go with it. They're both yours if you want to come by and pick them up.

And if you want a spiffy carbon seatpost to match, I have an EC70, new in the box. I bought it and never installed it, now I don't need it. $140 at Jenson, $80 this week if you come to pick up the bars.

6. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I have the carbon Haven on my trail bike and it's been great. It has a much more solid feel compared to MonkeyLite xc70 I used in the past. But at 710mm it may be a little short for SS, I have Thomson flat bar on mine and at 730mm it feels about right. I know people like to go even longer but I already clip stuff with my bar as it is.

As far as durability goes, when that old xc70 started to lose its lamination I was afraid to use it and decided to see how much abuse it could take. It took waaaaaay more than I thought it would; I jumped on the center with all my weight, swung it into a wall, hammered it, etc. and it held up.

7. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

Hey BTP,

I am using Easton Haven Carbons on all my bikes right now. I think they have been great for what I need. They are light, wide (enough), and strong(enough) for how I ride. I also tried an Easton Havoc Alloy bar and could definately tell that the alloy bar had more vibration. My hands buzzed more using the alloy bars vs. carbon. I also find that 710 to 720 is my sweet spot for width. So yeah, I like the Havens more.

Now as a caveat, I don't jump my bikes and are generally fairly light on my equipment, so if you are looking to survive huge drops and knar, I would prob lean more towards the Havoc line vs. the Haven line.

Easton has a strong reputation and their carbon products have proven reliable... as long as you keep to their intended use range.

Both prices are a very good deal.

Good luck !

8. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Member

I have the Easton Haven bars on my Rumblefish, which sees duty mostly on trails like El P., Turnbull and Luge. Nothing extreme. But I've had a couple of knarly crashes (as have others who've borrowed my bike). No problem with the bars.

9. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

Like others here, I've used Haven Carbons on my everyday bike for several years and like them. If the shape works for you, I say go for it! I have been thinking about going to a wider bar and would not hesitate to buy another set of Easton carbon bars.

10. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

My GF has the EC70 flatbar (685mm) version and its been pretty good for her so far. She took a tumble yesterday where her bar got knocked sideways...bar is still in one piece.:lol:

11. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Have two Haven Carbons, one of my HT 29er and one of my short travel 29er. Doing a basic test, tapping the bare bar on a hard surface, or tapping two bars together, it does seem to buzz noticeable less than other bars I have, but the ergonomics might be personal. I've had no slippage with Easton Haven and Syntace Megaforce2 stems. My hands don't go numb on my 1 hour long rides, but I recall some 2-3 hours rides that posed a prob, though bike geo plays a role in that. Takes only 30 minutes for my hands to go numb on my stock beater bike, in comparison. Can go all day on my Enve DH bar that I have cut down to 740 though, and also the RaceFace Atlas AM 725 bars I had before, but again that's probably personal with ergonomics and bike geo (both AM bikes).

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Big fan of http://whiskyparts.co/ for all my carbon needs. The fork on my Selma excellent...low rise bars on the Czar excellent.