Double water bottle cage recommendations

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Congo Kid, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    I'm in the market for a double water bottle cage for my road bike. Want to quit bringing my camelback backpack on long rides but need room to store adequate hydration.

Any recommendations between the seat post mounted one and the seat rail mounted one? Need adequate room for my under the seat tool kit, so not sure if one mounting system is better or not.

Looking at this one and would appreciate input/recommendations for/against. Or any other suggestions.

Or do I double up with single cages on my frame (I can put 2) and a single rear one?

Thanks
    Jeff

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KN1EUK...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002KN1EUK

2. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    I just run 2 in the traditional location. Even on long rides always found a place to refill.

3. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

Because my frame is small there is only one cage mount on my frame. I needed more space and got the Profile Design double holder for behind my seat. Mine is black and still allows room for my seat wedge, but I don't think I spent that much for mine ($60 seems kinda steep).

4. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

Right here.. I do the same

5. riiz

riiz Member

6. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    does it get in the way when you have to get your weight behind the seat? i'm also trying to figure out how to bring more water on a ride without having to use a camelbak. my frame only allows for one cage.

7. matty_P

matty_P New Member

medical student
    have you thought about getting a frame bag? the revelate bags come in different sizes and can hold a bladder plus more depending on your frame size. also keeps the weight a little lower than bottles behind the saddle.

8. riiz

riiz Member

I wouldnt use it for mountain biking, cause it will prevent shifting your weight behind the seat. On a road bike, it never gets in the way, even when sitting in an attack position on decents.

9. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I use the profile design model with the seat post clamp...side-entry cages from (B)Specialized when, mounted to shove the bottles up under the seat so they don't pop up and out whether mountain biking or on the road...hitting a bump on a descent is enough to pop bottles out of the profile cages.. My saddle is mounted rearward on the post so if your seat is mid- to forward-mount, use a small bungee cord to keep them from moving...then just shift the empties to the rear. Works with big bottles and small under-seat bags.

http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/hydration/all-hydration/aquarack.html

If you need a 4th bottle location, this is good for between the aero bars:
    http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/hydration/all-hydration
    The aero bar option for longer road rides will also allow you more hand/body positions to keep fatigue from setting in too quickly...and allows another spot to velcro/lash supplies.

10. Billabonk

Billabonk Member

Appliance Repair
    I had same problem with my fs mtb . Got an add on mount thatclamps on seat post tube from amazon. I have adjustable seat post and lost my seat bag mount too. Very strong clamp and expanded easily to fit my tube.

11. riiz

riiz Member

12. fatguy1

fatguy1 Active Member

owner of auto detail co.
    i just use the two mounts on the frame for my road bike and use the bigger bottles. i have always found a place to refill on my ride if needed. but i guess if you are doing some super long ride thru the desert i can see needing the extra bottles.

13. Congo Kid

Thanks to all for the great input.

I put a cage on the frame under the seat, but the large 24 oz bottle doesn't come out very well. The top hits the cross-bar. Thinking a side-access cage is best for this position on the bike and a regular vertical access cage is good for the front tube.

The cage also doesn't sit flush against the frame as the derailer band is also around the frame. Not sure if I need to add some washers or spacers?

I'm going to try 2 cages on the frame with large bottles and only look at a rear-seat mount cage if I find I am not able to have enough hydration on me for super long ride.

Thanks
    Jeff

14. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    So what is this long ride you're planning?

15. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    How about a handle bar mounted cage? I think it was around $12 and just clamped onto my bars.

Attached Files:

16. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
  17. Congo Kid

Been training for the Big Ring Century, so logging some 80+ mile rides. I usually use my car as the "base" for fuel and hydration so on my loops, swing by my car to reload. Would like to go for 4-5 hours and not have to worry about that. I'm also trying to shed my camelback in the process.

Jeff

18. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I use a minoura double water bottle mount. Works very well and I would recommend it. Comes with the hardware for mounting two water bottle cages too. The bracket doesn't hold the water bottles in the most aerodynamic position but it works well enough. I have to use one if I want to go on longer rides on my track bike (no brackets on the frame). It keeps the water bottles far enough away that you can still use a small saddle bag underneath your seat.
    http://www.minourausa.com/english/accessory-e/sbh300-e.html

P.S. Don't mind the blue chain ring. Its gonna come off as soon as a larger one comes in the mail.

Attached Files:

19. hmanstylez

hmanstylez New Member

My Buddy is running this exact same setup on his Trek. He likes it.