Does this bother any one else ?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Kevin949, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

Saw this sign today on my road ride , I've past it before but today I turned around and took a photo, it bothered me today for some reason .

Attached Files:

2. robmcd

robmcd Member

Bartender, Eco-tour guide, Scallywag (trader joes)
    Not really. I rarely see autos on the trails that I ride....

3. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Amazing.

Where did you see this sign?

4. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    I've seen that in Silverado before.

Steve

5. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

Silverado canyon road , nailed to an old wooden storage building

6. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Just another ignorant threat.
    Can't wait until someone can hook these people into a lawsuit regarding their seemingly humerous, yet highly inflammatory sign.

7. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I try not to let other people's misery bother me too much.
    Put up an address and maybe we can all put the guy on some choice mailing lists though.

8. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    Cool, so long as you're not their hood ornament.

Steve

9. jimw2112

jimw2112 Member

soils tech
    Even in the "way-out's" of Orange County, some keep their "road-hog" attitude... the speed limit around there is 25 mph isn't it? Uphill may be a different story, but there's really no need to go faster than a bicycle down the canyon.

10. zman

zman WTF ?

I have seen cyclists that ride 3 wide down some roads and it does suck as a cager when you come out of a blind corner to see this
    i have even seen riders go over the yellow line so maybe they are doing this to let you know to ride smart
    my rides never involve the street as i have seen what stupid people can and will do

11. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

So you never see people doing stupid stuff in cars? What it always boils down to is powerless people get into their cars where they get a false sense of control in in their pathetic little lives and when a damn cyclist doesn't yield to their great power they get pissed.

12. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Here is goes again !

What a lame sign.

Look SOME roadies are rude hogs we all know this and so are MANY teenagers who are SLOWLY walking through a crosswalk texting while the cars wait. This still should not make someone want to kill a person over it. The reality is that drivers of automobiles by in large are impatient crazy ADHD madmen/women now toss in 3 cups of coffee and a bad day at work and they would kill over it just watch the news. I never even brought up drunk drivers or people that are too old to drive.

It is rider beware !

13. granny ring

granny ring Not Really Here

kept man
    Why do people use that argument? Does the bad behavior of one justify the bad behavior of another? Sure ther are bad drivers just as there are rude cyclists. The unfortunate difference is in the outcome when a conflict arises on the road between them.

14. emcil

emcil my wife no like me

Spring Maker
    You should be proud to see that sign. It means you still live in the United States of America where people have rights. Have a nice day.

15. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

It does bother me since I spend half my rides on the road and live in Newport Coast where 4 cyclists have been killed in a year and a half. Where a friendly local did the "pass the cyclist and turn right in front of him and not stop after he goes down and misses my bumper by inches" when I was doing 40 on my road bike down Newport Coast Drive; result fractured pelvis in July. Where a moron mother of a friend of my son's says "all cyclists should die". Nice, right?

16. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

It's a perfectly valid argument in this context. You need to re-read what I was responding too. So your saying that cars don't have conflicts with other cars and nothing bad ever comes from those conflicts?

33800 people died in auto accident deaths in 2009

17. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I spend maybe 1% of my riding time on the pavement and I have been hit by a car. Luckily I was wearing all my downhill armor because I was heading to the house after riding Mammoth Mountain. Lady turned right just in front of me and I put a huge dent in her front fender with my hardshell arm armor. I though for sure my Zoke 66 would have been toast but got away with a bent front rotor and me a bent back finger. I remember thinking that "I do not want to end up under this truck" as I had some time to think before impact.

In Laguna I used to ride 1 mile from my house to get to the entrance of El Moro, once someone threw and full water bottle at me and another time someone got right next to me a blasted a hand held air horn maybe two feet from my ear. I don't get it! They have two lanes to go by me but they chose to stay in the lane next to the bike lane and come with two feet of me going 60 miles a hour...and the county buses are no better. Cudos to those of you that can handle the BS that goes on out there on the road but I am staying off the streets, until I live somewhere that has a 3 foot rule and somewhere with a better attitude towards cyclists.

My opinion towards the sign? It is a good reminder as to what some drivers think about us.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011
  18. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I had to comment: I typically get laughs over the "tea bagger" comments on this site and wish they would stick to topic. I believe in Freedom of Speech (along with all of our rights under the Constitution -- I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps willing to defend those rights); however, have a problem with it when it threatens someone with bodily harm.

19. strobe

strobe resident noob

Although, my personal opinion of the sign is that it is tasteless and possibly perceived threatening, that doesn't change the facts. In the USA we are allowed to express our opinions and this sign is just one i don't like. It doesn't say specifically about bodily harm. Although, the result of hitting a cyclist with a car is more likely to hurt rather than tickle. After 16yrs federal service time (13 1/2 in the Army) i believe in protecting the 1st Amendment whether i like the message or not. My only issue is that this sign treads dangerously close to being perceived as an immanent threat or "fighting words" which are not protected under this right. Even though i said "close", i do not feel as though someone is going to intentionally run me over just because i am a cyclist.

20. dahlbergkm

dahlbergkm Orangeman

electrician
    Posted by some lard ass , no doubt.