Day of Silence and More discussion

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, May 24, 2008.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
  2. tbowren

tbowren New Member

I wish my wife and kids would observe a day of silence.

3. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Now that's funny! :lol:

4. b5driver

b5driver New Member

George, while I appreciate what you're trying to accomplish here, I'm not sure what excluding those without the doohickey does to further that objective, although it does seem to act as a membership drive. Perhaps the goal is if people pay some money to support the site, then they will take some ownership and watch how they post? I'd appreciate a little explanation as to what your goals are in including some and excluding others. Some of the biggest offenders seem to be people that do have the doohickey (although I realize the majority of the offenders are probably noncontributors). Thanks. And yes, I realize I don't have the STR next to my name.

5. jbh65

jbh65 Member

now that's funny. I'm with you brother man!

6. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Originally the idea was to do this for everybody. But as you said the doohickey people probably aren't trying to cause trouble (for the most part) since they've supported it and feel more of a responsibility to it than others. Also, it's another way to say continue to say thanks to those people.

7. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    I'm gonna try (I'm addicted) to be silent with my non-doohickey bretheren.

8. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm not sure what point is made by this action?:?:

It seems a lot like the "if we boycott the gas companies on the same day our gas prices will go down" emails that go around..

Banning offenders seems like the better way to get your message across...some of the offenders are "contributors" and there are a lot who don't contribute financailly that don't abuse the rules but will get "banned" from posting for the day for essentally not contributing financially....:?:

9. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    As I much enjoy being part of STR, I have no problem in abiding by the rules and supporting the site by becoming a paying member. The rules are logical, and I know there must be costs involved with running this site... costs which I -for one- do not mind sharing. However, at the moment, with the downturn in the economy, i'm barely able to make ends meet. So i'll become a paid (doo-hickey bearing) member just as soon as i'm able. In the meantime, i'll observe the 'Day of Silence' when it happens, with good grace. Thanks for the message, George.

10. b5driver

b5driver New Member

It seems the point is to get people to think before they post, which I think the majority of people do, but sometimes we all need a reminder, and that's what this is. Sadly, most of the biggest offenders will forget in about a week after the "day of silence".

The problem I have is among those that have paid, there is sometimes an arrogance that their posts are somehow better and that sometimes those who have not contributed are somehow less worthy. (This is not always the case, but it does happen). I'm worried that this day of silence will only further promote this attitude. Hopefully George is right and this will prompt people to take more ownership and be more responsible with their posts, paid and unpaid members.

11. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    While I love this site and keep meaning to contribute so I can get my doo-hickey I think it is unfair to allow anybody to post on a day of silence. The point of the day seems to be to have people catch their breath and remember what makes this site one of the best. The offenders are those with and without doo-hickey's so special privileges should not be granted for those who donated, they already get some privileges with pm's.

I will abide by whatever decision is made however I wanted to state my opinion. George thanks for the site and all the hard work you and the mods put into it.

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I know this may be lame... but, I have an addiction. So, please make this on a weekend :D

13. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    PLLLLLEASE!?! I don't think I could survive a day in the office without pressing refresh every minute and not seeing something new... LOL jk (but kinda not jk)

On a serious note, thanks for this site and community, it means so much to a lot of people and whatever you have to do to keep it special will be appreciated.

14. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Don't worry - bans will also come if the same people continue to stir things up.

This is to simply make a point - this site is not a right, it's a privilege. There is no place here for trash talking, spam, and people mouthing off to others for no good reason. Hopefully more thought will be given to posts. Maybe people will even start to discourage others that are too quick to type off overly emotional posts.

The thing that has made STR so special to me and the majority of people here is the relative lack of drama - just fun rides, good people, and lifelong friendships. Let's keep it that way!

Didn't anticipate the surprise about the doohickey exemption. Is it unexpected that people who chose to support the website financially will be given special perks? I realize that e-thugery can happen whether or not a person contributes. We'll still delete posts, PM a person, or even ban regardless if a person has a doohickey or not. That happens on an individual basis. But for the most part, the issues that I've noticed lately weren't by people who had doohickeys (PM me with examples if I'm wrong about that).

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  15. Frozen208

Frozen208 No pain no gain

I would have to agree with both of you in a way, maybe the awnser is the split the differnce, a full "Day of Silence" to non-doohickeyers, and a "Half-Day of Silence for doohickeyers.

And :beer: to George, his mod squad, sponsors and all the doohickeyers, and all of us in general.

EDIT: Throwing something at the wall to see if it sticks

Don't know if it is possible, but if part the reason for this is to get people to think a little more before hitting the submit button. Is there a way to make as second screen that goes to a preview screen after hitting submit that says something along the lines of "Are you sure you wish to submit?". It would also give a second opportunity to proof read/make sure you didn't miss anything..

16. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    no issues with day of silence but just to confirm it appears that those who have not specifically made a monetary contribution in the form of a doohickey and gained some "benefits" from it as well...i.e. in exchange you'll get more PM space, less ads, a special subscriber badge next to your name) are not considered the same value or have the same level of respect for str? I beg to differ.

What happens if while they have not partaked in doo hickey status but they have bought stickers (placed on car/truck/bike/etc, bought tee shirts, bought jerseys, bought a calendar, organized and or led/swept STR rides, made sure they clicked the banner ads on STR when they want to buy something from a store as opposed to going directly to retailer site that they were already purchasing from to ensure STR gets credit, on the trail told myriad people about the site and those people signed up hopefully adding value as well...this is not relevant. (this is not about me and no i am not suggesting i have done all the aforementioned)

What about all the folks who contribute significant insight on the boards for which people come to the board for? It's also the community that drive people here, right?

I also imagine there are many new members (no i do not consider myslef a new member) that didn't even know of the doo-hickey and conduted themselves with the utmost integrity on the board and this may merely look like a mere campaign to sign-up/extort payment?

Just my opinion but while I agree with almost everything in your note and have on multiple occassion voiced my sincere appreciation of all those involved in the creation and maintenance of the boards via post and pm but not sure this is the means to go. again IMO while the tone and silliness of late is a bit nuts the majority of the users are acting appropraitely and a few are of concern, right?.

Finally it ppears this may be an action very similar to everything we as the mtb community argue against in the form of protecting usage of the trails when a few riders poach or do something inapproporaite and the trails are closed for all. maybe a bit like baby and the bathwater response. Find it a bit silly to punish the masses for the deeds of a few.

The message was sent, if you and the mods feel specific individuals are "guilty" perhaps deal with it on a situation by situation level. And if you determine a day of silence is the remedy again i am okay with that but it seems only logical for all unless a doohickey is to represent national guard service during war time ;)

I say it again I am most appreciative for this board and all it represents, have partaken in some fun rides and met some great peeps. It's clearly not "my football"; so have to play by the rules but 'remedy" as stated seems a bit off the mark imo but I respect your decision and thank you again for all things str!

In any rgard am sure my wife and employer will be happry to see me not on board for a day :) hope it works out for the benefit of str

17. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

i started posting again because my friends missed my input on things.

......:)

18. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    No one should be surprised that financial contributors are treated differently. That's the way it is with most things in life and I also agree that this place is 100% a privilege. While I cant argue your "day of silence" I do find it unfortunate that such a measure would be deemed necessary. A blanket punishment seems a little knee jerk to me but that's just my humble opinion.

19. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I am happy with what ever you decide George. I however am a post whore but I try to keep things positive and mainly stay out of debates.Thanks for the site, I have made a lot of good friends here. I appreciate it.

20. Shannon

Shannon ........

George and the mods, thanks for the time you put into STR.:clap:

As far as the doohickey, we're on a tight budget these days like everyone else. I gave up a weeks worth of Starbucks and Ben and Jerry's to fit the doohickey in the budget. So if non-doohickey people think that gives me an attitude... well wouldn't you if you went without your caffeine and sugar? :?: ;)

Seriously, how much do we spend on our bikes, accessories, gas to go on rides, etc. Is 40 bucks to help support the costs associated with STR really that big a deal? And before anyone thinks I'm kidding around, yes, we really are on that tight of a budget. And yes, I did really give up my addictions to get the doohickey. I was happy to do it.

Whatever George and the guys decide as far as the day of silence is fine with me. Whether it's the doohickey or non-doohickey people that it applies to I don't care. If it stops the rants and bashing it's well worth it IMO.