Cyclist hit and killed on Santiago Canyon Rd

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by longboarderj, Feb 2, 2014.

1. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    This link shows STR link to this thread-

http://ranchosantamargarita.patch.c...nds-downed-cyclist-aids-in-search-for-suspect

However, The only thing that determine a possible hit and run was a single shoe on the road ! No rider or bike were to be seen, i also did not know the Victim was over the guard rail. I tried a search on OCJ, no results, one on facebook tho- in Tustin from Lake forest ! Wife think she was texting !

2. red913

red913 Sparky

Electrician
    Very very sad. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Hopefully that lady goes away for a long time.

3. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    That's terrible. I hope those who drive under the influence of any substance reads these articles. Hopefully they'll think twice before getting behind the wheel.

4. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Alcohol is legal. How many people have been killed due to alcohol? Whether the drug is legal or not, it wouldn't be legal to drive while under the influence, just like with alcohol (or legal prescription drugs).

5. zman

zman WTF ?

Holly crap this sucks
    RIP Cyclist

6. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
  7. wheeler

wheeler Member

Drunk Drivers.........or under the influence is still DUI. Even with the tougher DUI laws the roads are becoming more dangerous for cyclists. The "distracted" driver also scares the he!! of me. I was just thinking the other day that there is no way they can put barriers along all the roads but they can put those speed bumps like they have for center dividers. That way the DUI or distracted driver will know when they swerve into the shoulder / bike lane.

Man this sux..........feel for the family of such a young man.

8. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

This is very sad. I have met some of the people who work at Two Wheels One Planet and they are great people. I don't recall if I met Joey but this is very sad news and there are simply no words. My thoughts are with his friends and family. I am glad they caught the driver. But I don't have much faith in our "justice system" unfortunately. Maybe if we all started riding on the opposite side of the road, so we could see drunk drivers and people texting they'd actually do something about it; but I doubt it. Our government is inept and corrupt to say the least; it's pathetic. And people simply don't care enough to do anything about it to prevent innocent people from dying.

9. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

In honor of Joseph Robinson Jax Bicycle Center is holding a memorial ride on Wednesday, February 5th. We will be meeting at Jax Bicycle Center – Irvine at 6:30 am to ride to Joseph’s “Ghost Bike” memorial site on Santiago Canyon Road / Loma Ridge Jeep Trail in Orange, CA. For those of you who don’t wish to ride, you are welcome to drive to the “Ghost Bike” memorial which will take place at 7:15 am.

Memorial Ride
    When: Wednesday, February 5th 2014 at 6:30 am
    Where: Jax Bicycle Center – Irvine
    14210-6H Culver Dr., Irvine, CA 92604

Ghost Bike Memorial
    When: Wednesday, February 5th 2014 at 7:15 am
    Where: Santiago Canyon Road / Loma Ridge Jeep Trail in Orange, CA 92869

10. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I hope for once that the D.A. imposes the most severe penalty possible.
    My deepest condolences to everyone affected by this tragic, senseless loss.

11. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Search By Name | List Inmate Names | FAQ | Visitor Information
    Attorney Registration, click here. | Bail Agent Registration, click here.
    Due to security concerns, we have discontinued posting detailed inmate information on this website. Information required to be disclosed under Government Code section 6254(f)(1) of the California Public Records Act may be obtained in person at any Orange County Sheriff jail facility.
    Results for booking number: 2809066

Inmate Name: GONZALES , SOMMER NICOLE
    Date of Birth: 06-07-1995 Next Appearance Date: 02-03-2014
    Sex: Female Next Appearance Court: CENTRAL JAIL COURT
    Race: White Custody Status: In Custody
    Height: 5' 04" Bail Amount: $0.00
    Weight: 127 Arrested on: 02-02-2014
    Hair Color: Brown Housing Location: Central Womens Jail
    Eye Color: Green
    Inmate charge information will be provided by e-mail to approved attorneys and licensed bail agent only. All other requests for charge information must be made in person at any Orange County Sheriff jail facility. To receive the active charges by email for this inmate enter your username and password below. Bail agents and attorneys must be registered and approved in order to receive active charges by e-mail.

Attorney registeration, please click here.

Bail agent registeration, please click here.

Change pasword | Forgot password
    Username: Password:

The data contained in this web site should not be relied upon for any type of legal action. Anyone who uses this information to commit a crime or to harass an inmate or his or her family may be subject to criminal prosecution and civil liability. Extreme care must be taken in the use of information because mistaken identification may occur when relying solely upon a name to identify individuals.

ALTHOUGH THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE IS BELIEVED TO BE CORRECT, INFORMATION IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND ACCURACY AND/OR COMPLETENESS CANNOT BE GUARANTEED. NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND IS GIVEN WITH RESPECT TO THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE.

Except as provided in Section 2074 and 2079.5 [sic], no bail licensee shall solicit any person for bail in any prison, jail, or other place of detention of persons, court or public institution connected with the administration of justice; or in the halls or corridors adjacent thereto; provided that a bail licensee may in such halls, corridors or in other rooms or areas where not prohibited by local rule or ordinance transact bail with persons specified in Section 2079 who have prior to transaction, requested his services.

The Department of Insurance does have the continuing authority to investigate and prosecute violations of the Insurance Code and the Insurance Commissioner's regulations. The Department will investigate complaints and will take appropriate action where necessary.

The Orange County Sheriff's Department reserves the right to deny any applicant and revoke current users due to abuse of access. Any misuse by anyone using the ID/Password issued to this agency can and will result in the loss of future use for the agency and other agencies using the same license number.

In order to obtain California Department of Insurance License contact:
    1-800-927-4357 www.Insurance.ca.gov

I hereby agree to abide by the law and all policies, rules and regulations set aside by the State of California, the California Department of Insurance and the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

12. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    Heartbreaking...

My best to friends and family

13. Bruce in SoCal

Bruce in SoCal Member

Lawyer (semi-retired)
    Until suppliers of liquor are held liable for injuries caused by those to whom they provide liquor, deaths will continue. Drunk drivers don't care what harm they cause. Otherwise, they wouldn't drive while drunk. And when they are drunk, they don't realize how bad they are.

14. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

No harsher punishments would be a better way. I won't lie I drove when i was close to the limit( I know because I got pulled over but passed the tests) but now I rarely drink if I know I may have to drive even hours later. The reason why is I know I could cause me to lose my job. That punishment is enough to keep me from taking a chance. If people knew they would do serious time they would think twice.

15. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Vaya Conditos compadre.
    Happy Trails to you

16. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
  17. badgas

badgas I like dirt

So Sad......more horrible news

This is why I stay off the road. My wife and I were driving through the Canyon around 10:30 am on Sunday on the way up to the peak. Seeing all the crazy drivers and street bikes racing around my wife asked me " how can people ride their bikes out here ? "

We obviously had no idea this had happened. It is a sad reality that sharing the road with crazy drivers that are drunk and or texting or just idiots leads to the death of innocent cyclists.

RIP Joseph

18. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    This is sad to hear. Hope the family of Joey Robinson will find some solace and peace soon.

19. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    That's assuming people have a job to lose! Don't think that 18 year old girl who was drunk and big on meth has a job or has a job she doesn't want to lose.

sadly to some people jail is free room and board.

20. Bruce in SoCal

Bruce in SoCal Member

Lawyer (semi-retired)
    PI doubt that harsher punishment would help. Drunks don't care or even think.

BTW, just think how bad it will get in Colorado and Oregon now that it is legal to use pot. It may still be illegal to drive while infer the influence, but easy access will make it more common.