Current El Moro/LCWP/Bommer/Shady/Ouail(IRC) Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by SHARE, Apr 2, 2013.

1. SHARE

SHARE New Member

LCWP Trailwork 3/30/2013

Yes SHARE was out working on Old Emerald in LCWP on Saturday, we had a great group of volunteers show up to give the trail some attention. With the help and advice of the park ranger and staff we got a lot accomplished and we really thank all those that came out to give back to the park. With the prospect of rain later that day we filled in a some of the ruts with the hope the rain would continue to pack the soils down. Thanks for the positive comments and we hope to see you out there helping in the future.

2. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    If your riding in El Moro today (Sat. 4/20) watch for workers on the Fence Line and Missing Link trails. SHARE will be removing the old barbed wire fencing along the side of the trail. We will also be working on No Name Ridge and possibly Moro Ridge. In 2001 we completed the missing link on the Missing Link trail. Now were removing the fence on the Fence Line trail. So now there is no missing link and no fence line.

3. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    For the record, I don't think there are any more elevators on Elevator either. If there is one there, could someone direct me to it please?

4. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Went for a ride today and found that the bottom half of Slow N Easy has been recently graded, but not packed in at all. It's pretty loose stuff. Also the section of El Moro Canyon between Slow N Easy and I Think I Can has also been graded and there are also some really loose sections.

5. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    [​IMG]

:?:

6. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Where is this sign at?

7. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    " The sign was meant to be informative only. It was small and placed off the unmapped trail. It said: "When you tread here, you destroy park wildlife. This is a unique and rare natural area forever preserved for the community. You can protect park wildlife by staying on mapped trails. Will they survive? You can make a difference. For more information, call 949-333-4232 and press 111." When I spoke to people at Ridge Park who were on the unmapped trail (only 20-30 feet from the real trail) they were indignant. "Why don't you post signs?" (There IS a sign saying it is not a trail at the upper end.) I answered, "people pull them out." If you have the opportunity, please help your friends understand the importance of staying on mapped trails and letting the unnecessarily stripped land heal. Land covered with plants supports the park's animals."

- Ranger Laura's Blog

http://lauraatlcwp.smugmug.com/Othe...llery/30244023_td8R8X#!i=2603359293&k=SGgN29w

8. obie

obie New Member

poolman
  9. guero

guero iFroth

The hypocrisy of that sign and her post are profound. One only has to look a tad due north of where that sign has been placed to see it.

10. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Are you suggesting that since some of our open space has been destroyed that we should neglect all of it. Are you also suggesting that the ranger had something to do with the building of the toll road? Just curious because is seems to me that all of us would be interested in protecting the area where we ride.

11. guero

guero iFroth

I meant my statement more as I think it sucks that if you have money, you can go in and destroy a large chunk of the natural habitat (north end of el moro). I remember driving down to Laguna back in the 80's (i'm sure many of you remember it before then) and that stretch after CDM was so nice and pristine without a home in view. Now there are homes everywhere down there, and LCR, etc.

I'm all for protecting it!

12. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    As the sign says, Quail will be closed from tomorrow to Friday. What is the alternate route to get to Laguna from there?

[​IMG]

13. chobie1

chobie1 New Member

Here is one way.
    Go over Shady Canyon Trail to Bommer. Go through the park over Bommer Pass and up West Fork. Go under the 73 up a little hill and you will be at El Morro.

14. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    I usually make a loop out of this.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/301683132

So if Quail is closed, is there a way to still make a loop?

15. chobie1

chobie1 New Member

The Quail Hill trail is the only way that I know of to complete that loop and end up back at Quail. But I have been planning on doing some loops at El Morro and coming back down West Fork through Bommer and back to Quail. Today I drove up to Coastal Peak park and did some loops instead of starting at QH because it was so hot and I got a late start.

16. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    New feature for those of ya rolling down from the westside. Heads up...

End of story for a fun section.

[​IMG]

(Dumps onto Bommer saddle across from the Pie Lady)

17. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Need rain. Hadn't been on Stagecoach in a while and got tossed around on those switchback descents. Couple of the tighter, steeper ones have narrow, deep ruts surrounded by a lot of dust and chunk - Argh!

The climb up Missing Link is my warmup for ___ard and Stagecoach loop. It's pretty loose/dusty on last little section to the top, so I knew it would only get worse on the other s/t. It did.;)

Running 2.2 Spec.Captain up front. Thinking about going full bulldozer up front with a 2.5 Purgatory....slow/heavy but does do the job.