Crank Brothers Customer Service (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Uncle Rico, May 4, 2008.

1. davidB

davidB Active Member

for sale? lol

but seriously, it may be looking into to see if CB might fix any of them :-k

2. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    I can't use 'em. I'll dig them up and you can HAVE them.:wave:

3. Sjon

Sjon New Member

Painting Contractor
    Dibs on the free eggbeaters!:bang:

4. NipomoGuy

NipomoGuy Tink's first sponsor

flying my mental jet
    Speak of the devil! Bud just called me from the BMX race track, he came in 5th because his pedal spindle snapped on him on the final jump. And he weighs about 110!

5. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Pedals have been okay for me but not the Joplin seatpost and not really the customer service. The seatpost's seals completely blew out in less than 6 months of riding and the warranty did not cover it. I then decided to upgrade to the new 4" travel Joplin (with, they say, better seals). The wrong size was sent by mistake, their system would not allow them to send a new one before the wrong sized one was received, the UPS guy didn't turn up to pick it up (not really their fault) and I finally received the correct size after almost 3 weeks of waiting and me in $400+ dollars for a seat post.
    While they were polite and courteous, I have had better, faster and more satisfying customer service. Maybe I should have just driven over and visited them and the outcome would have been better.

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I regularly ride at the track, and I'd say 65% use Shimano, a surprising 20% use Time, 10% are still on flats, and the rest are other brands. CBs are not very common at all.

7. NipomoGuy

NipomoGuy Tink's first sponsor

flying my mental jet
    He uses eggbeaters, i was just telling him about time the other day. He had to race the rest of the night with his flats. Not sure why he runs eggbeaters... maybe it's because he likes fast clip ins? i dunno... i'll keep to my flats :)

8. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    Had new cleats at the time...... Wasn't really doing too many HAB at that time, but was still going through cleats about every other month. On the flip side, SPD cleats last me at least 9months to a year.

It seemed that everytime I landed from a jump, my weight would open up the spring assembly and my foot comes off the pedal..... This held true for both Candy SL and the Eggbeaters I had.

I look at crankbrothers products this way. I equate it to the early Hyundai cars. They have a great warranty/customer service, because no one would buy their products if it didn't have them. Just look at the shear number of people on this board that has had to use their warranty/customer service department. Ask youself this question. If they actually held to their guns and held to the letter of the warranty, and had to pay for parts and labor for each repair, would you still buy their products? This is at full retail of course....

When was the last time you heard someone that had a problem with spd pedals that was not rider induced(crashed onto rocks, etc....)?

Same thing with their posts as well. It's the same problematic product that they purchased from Maverick.

I've tried their products, and every product that I have purchased failed. Sometimes on more than one occasion. I'm done with their products. I won't even trust their product to hold down my paperwork.....

9. glattime

glattime Member

That is really a bummer for those who have problems with their pedals. I have run them forever now with tens of thousands of miles on Candy's and EggBeaters and no problems. The cool thing about Crank Bros is the guys ride and use their stuff hard. I see them occasionally in LCWP and Aliso and they always seem like a great bunch of guys.

10. tandem

tandem New Member

Crank Brothers Customer Service/Support

Guys,

My brother recently purchased Crank Brothers Cobalts for his Giant Anthem in the Philippines. Unfortunately, the rear hub broke while he was riding and now won't engage when you pedal. The wheelset wsn't subjected to any drops or heavy riding. Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He has tried contacting Crank Brothers at their contact details posted on their website at http://www.crankbrothers.com/contact.php. He has sent emails and has tried calling them for a replacement but so far, no one has answered his emails and all he gets when he calls is to leave a voice mail. Calling has become rather expensive for him since he is calling from the Philippines and thus calling internationally. What makes it more frustrating is that no one has answered his emails.

I have read about Crank Brothers great customer service here but does their customer service only apply to US customers or US purchases?

Does any one have any other contact numbers where my brother can reach Crank Brothers Customer Service and actually speak to a human being?

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Do you have the wheels with you or are they still overseas with your brother?

If you have them, try walking them into Crank Bros. in Laguna Beach.

THe email response to get an RA# is incredibly slow.

12. tandem

tandem New Member

thanks for the quick reply. Like I told my brother, I could always count on STR :beer:

Unfortunately, the wheelset is overseas with my brother. I would have brought them to Crank Bros if they were with me.

I guess we have to wait and see what Crank Bros says and does :confused:

13. Vandit

Vandit I like to ride

Maybe try giving the Laguna store a call and seeing if they can help at all or give you a better phone number... :?:

14. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Agreed, the guys and gals at the Laguna store are really cool and will probably take care of you.

15. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Try Rich Garrett at 949.464.9916

He was my contact on a seatpost issue.

16. RidingDirty

RidingDirty New Member

I concur with what others have said about CB's CS. I inquired about getting a split ring for a CB Cobalt Directset headset that came with a frame I bought. It turned out they made two versions, one that requires a split ring and one that doesn't. I was told by Rich at CB of Laguna Beach that mine doesn't need the split ring. Saved me the hassle of ordering one and also money :)

17. tandem

tandem New Member

thanks for the replies guys! we really appreciate it!

:beer:

18. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Anka Martin has helped me with the warranty on my Joplin and 50/50's. I have never had any issues with their customer service.

[email protected]

19. bk12

bk12 New Member

I was actually in there today for a fix on a Joplin. They picked up the phone when I called to make sure someone would be around, and gave me first class service when I showed up, quickly taking care of my issue. They created a big fan of their products today!

20. tandem

tandem New Member

Just as a follow-up...

Crank Brothers came through with their vaunted customer support.

Several people from Crank Brothers emailed me and my brother and apologized for "apparent" lack of concern with regards to my brother's broken hubs. After emailing me and my brother to confirm the shipping address they immediately sent the replacement hub.

Because of this my brother bought new 29'er Cobalts for his Jeff Jones and is looking to buy a new set of Iodines for his Giant Anthem

Hopefully, he'll give me his old Cobalts :)