Confused Moutain Biker (roadie help)

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by coolbreeze, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    How tall are you? I may have a cross bike that would fit you, if you'd like to try it.

2. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
  3. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

At 5'10" you're probbly looking at a 56cm frame. Start with a maybe a endurance geo frame like a Specialized Roubaix or Cannondale Synapse. Have whatever shop you go to, to fit you on the bike.

TT bikes and Tri bikes are pretty much the same. If you watch a TT in a stage race and the bike segemnt in a Tri...the frames are the same. "TT" bikes are typically governed by a bunch of UCI reguations regarding equipment and setup...compared to Tri's which are not regulated.

A Cervelo P5 (and most manufacturers) is the same frame whether its a TT or Tri. If you look close enough at bikes pros use...you'll notice subtle differences in equipment.

Dave Z's TT bike vs the Tri version. Same frame...but check the fork, saddle setback, bottle between extensions. To most people TT and Tri bikes don't make much difference...but on a Pro level...they are very different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

No offense, but those bikes are uglier than Brownie on mile 83 of a century ride.

5. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    This was pure poetry. Bravo! :clap: :beer:

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Perhaps......but in a straight line they are fast.

7. Iblowis

Iblowis Banned

Say's the guy who rides in sandals! Do i need to say anymore??

8. marshal

marshal New Member

I raise gophers :)
    Yeah, join the club!!

9. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

image.jpg

Here is my road bike.... I am 6 foot tall and my bike is a 54". Love my road bike, can't go wrong with the Cannondale Caad10

10. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

Switch to a KMC chain with a quick link, and carry one extra link. ;)

As far as the Sram and Shimano wars go I found the biggest difference to me was the moving brake lever with Shimano. I personally hate it so I went with Sram, but I like the feel of Campy hoods the best and the thumb lever. On the other hand my wife loves the two part shifting style instead of the double tap. Either way, if you're on a budget anything above 105 or Apex will be great.

11. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    That would have been great info prior to me having to skateboard my bike down the hill.

The Campy is beautiful and smooth. The thumb level is most excellent, but I think Campy is like a heated seat in a car: it's not really necessary unless you are so particular that you must have it. That being said, I'm not sure that I'd go back if I were to ever ride on the road again.

12. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    I have yet to find a road that I cant climb on my tri bike that I could climb on my road bike. Actually I am way more comfortable on my tri bike, so much so I sold my road bike, who needs a road bike when you have a tri bike.

It is opposite, You want to limit the quad usage on the bike leg so you can have a solid run. The quads tend to cramp easier because they experience more eccentric loading when running.

There is really not much difference, if anything between the two bike at all. The differences come from the factors of the race course. If the course is known to have a cross wind the athlete may opt for Zipp 1080 or 808 style rear wheel and a 404 in the front. If the course is expected to be calm the athlete will opt for a full disk rear wheel and maybe an 808 or 404.

The saddle on Dave Z's bike is actually a Tri saddle, it looks like the Selle Aspid saddle. The water bottle location for the tri bike here is more aero than when mounted to the frame, however the TT guys have a camelbak racetop (bladder is attached to the under side of their skinsuit) on when they are racing. The tri bike has an aero cover over the front breaks.

The TT bikes are regulated by the UCI(which also dictates a BB to nose of saddle measurement) and the Tri bikes are regulated by the ITU, well at least the pros and age-group winners are regulated.

Things to be wary about if you do go with a tri/tt bike: You will be enjoying more free speed, they are a bit twitchy at first but then again so is a road bike when you first get on it. Dont expect the roadies to respect you as a cyclist when on your tri bike. When you hang with a crew of roadies on a long ride and then ask them to go for a run after the ride they look at you with disgust because they wish they we as good of an athlete as you are. Your roadie friends will make you pull them for most of the group ride, but that's okay because there is no drafting in real racing. Be sure to get the tightest lycra you can squeeze into.

Okay,on a serious note be sure to look at all three sizes of chainrings, standard(53/39), mid-compact(50/36), and compact(50/34). Then you can also look into the 9, 10, or 11 speed read ends, most are 10 nowadays. Be sure be comfortable with unclipping while standing still before you start riding the bike, the cleats take a bit more oomph to unclip. Start with a 105/Rival group set and you will be happy, every thing above that is unnecessary for the casual rider.

I love my tri bike and dont think I will be needing to get a road bike anytime soon.

13. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    I think I'm more confused now than before I started this thread :)

14. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Ha, yea that's how it goes with too many choices in road rigs. Ride lots, ask questions, zero in on the looks and $$ level you're comfortable with - and then.....lay some money down on a good bike. Better to be strong and having fun than flailing away with some piece of eye candy.

15. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

When I went in to purchase a non-mtb bike (I didn't want to get one of those "curly" handlebar roadie bikes), I did my research online, and, based on what was on paper, went in to buy (or order) the right size for me. I had a helpful sales person who had me ride it, along with another one he wanted me to try for kicks and thrills. It was also twice the price of the bike I "intended" to purchase.

I walked out with the "roadie" bike. And I've been riding the same one...since 2007.

What someone told me is still very true: you will never regret spending more on a bike.

16. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

I agree! I've never regretted upgrading to something better.

Coolbreeze, hop on some different bikes and you'll figure out what you like pretty quick.

17. allenpg

allenpg Member

Associate Creative Director - Copy
    Home Page:
    TT and Tri bikes are NOT the same. TT bikes should meet UCI specs for racing (not a big deal in the USA unless doing nats). Tri bikes tend to have steeper geometry and only need to comply with USAT rules. To the casual rider, they look the same, but if you race...there are HUGE differences. I've raced TTs for the past 7 years and have had about 6 different TT bikes.

BTW, avoid TT/tri bikes unless you only want to do tris. Cannondale was running a great sale lately with 20% off their road models. You could get a SuperSix with 105 for about $2K. Even though I primarily race TTs, I ride my road bike 90% of the time (when riding pavement).

18. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

The saddle on Dave Z's bike is the Fizik Ares...a stubby version of the Antares.

I run a TT saddle on my S2. Selle San Marco Concor Sprint.

[​IMG]

19. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    ^^ Do these bikes have a room with a beday of its own....

20. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    I love the wheels. I have been looking into a set or racing wheels. I am just not too sure which route to go: Wheel Builder, Williams Cycling, or Rolf Prima. I think I am looking for a 58mm front and an 85mm rear.