Commuter w/ Mtn componants...your thots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chubacabra, Nov 18, 2015.

1. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

Currently I'm selling a couple bikes on eBay to make room for a commuter w/ upright flat bar/
    29er/rigid with mountain components.
    As a dirt rider, who loves suspension this question is directed to those who also have one of these:

Am I going to hate riding around on a rigid? Or would I eventually get used to it?

I decided not to get a road bike because of the geometry and I'm too lazy and fat to ever do a century ride.
    But I figure with this carbon fiber commuter, the ride won't be as harsh as alloy or steel (yeah right) and the thing has a big chain ring and middle up front and 10 speed cass. in the back. I can prob do the Fully Loop on it with no problems as well.

Its a sexy ass bike for sure but form sometimes doesn't follow function especially when the function is a human being. A good example is the new McLaren which are pretty but noisy as hell, gets 7 MPG, expensive as sh*t but fast.

2. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    A modern bike only has a 32 or 36. I think it is too slow for the road. But I have commuted on my hardtail it is a correctly geared triple, still the big ring is only 42.. It is great because I have a rack on it and can put on panniers. I can use front, rear, right and left which allows shopping on the way home. Bikes behave funny with all that weight, so standover height is important too. The big tire will take up most of the road rumble, and disk brakes will be a plus. you will h8 a rigid off piste.

3. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

porsche-bike-1.jpg Ugh....despite not selling 2 of my bikes on eBay yet, I pulled the trigger and ordered this bike that can do light trail (putting Maxxis Highroller II's on)
    and saving the stock tires for road riding (despite it only having 44t big ring) It reminds me of the carbon SC Highball with XTR but no Fox fork.

Its full of Crank Bros parts so thats nice and the frame is made in Germany. Also holding onto the German thing , Magura brakes and the tires are Schwalbe. Try to find that in a USA made bike. I have a Lenz bike, but the frame, Fox shock & fork are the only things made here. :(

I know, I know and I say it all the time "You can't have your cake and eat it too"...it will probably FAIL miserably at both off road and road riding
    fun, but its like a Swiss Army knife that does it all but also not very good at all. No bike does it all anyways.

This is a bike that looks at you like a dog and says, "Let's go!" And like a dog, you can't take it everywhere but you can try. I'm already looking into getting a SID fork. And although it wasn't cheap, I managed to get it for only $200 over cost, they wanted to get rid of it as it was sitting in the store for over a year. I love stores that like to move on, some places just keep merch on the floor and go by MAP (or around) and end up having old stock collecting dust. Like my sister who's still not married yet. View attachment 84431

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    MnMDan and BeckTrex like this.