Coates Cyclery, Pomona Great Mt biking purchasing experience (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by kloepo9, May 1, 2008.

1. kloepo9

kloepo9 New Member

I just wanted to share my great mountain bike purchasing experience I had at Coates Cyclery in Pomona yesterday. Rigo and Jack were super helpful in terms of allowing me test ride bikes, fitting me to my new bike as well as explaining all of the various features of my Giant Trance X1, which is sickest trail bike I have ever ridden. I have no relationship with the shop other than being a customer, but I thought you should all know for future purchases. There are still a few great shops out there – Coates Cyclery is one of them. :bang:

2. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

I had a similar experience when I bought my bike there. I rode bike after bike, and even Rigo's personal ride that tipped the scale in the neighborhood of $5-6K. They're good people, and that's why I also ride for them.

3. S51

S51 i need a job

Coate's is an awesome LBS. I bought my Felt road bike there a while ago and they were the best. They'll help you out with anything you need. Since I was new to road cycling, they threw in some tire levers and a set pedals for free.

4. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    I never bought a bike from them, but they treat me like a king.

When buying bikes, I've always been price-driven, so I bought from another store that has big sales. But Coates is right down the street, so I'm always in there, picking up some little thing or other.

The other day, I bought a granny chainring from the store I got the bike from. Went home to put it on, and I couldn't get my GPX crank spindle out! Well, Coates is right there. So I took it to them.

Turns out I wasn't just being lame. One of the bearing races was shot and was binding on the spindle. The guys at Coates got the crank off, replaced my BB, and said, "You were going to do the chainring yourself, right, to save money?" They know this cheap bastid! Anyway, that's when I got a good view of my chainring. Guess what? The other store had sold me a chainring that doesn't fit! 4 bolts--yes, but wrong BCD! Coates was able to help me there too! Plus I had a couple of laughs with the mechanics.

It's good to live close to a good bike store! Maybe I ought to save myself the headache and just go there first!

5. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Same here, i know the owner and he constantly hooks me up, and treats me well.
    Those guys know their stuff, and i would reccomend them.
    I hear if they have to schedule a repair that it takes FOREEVER to get back though :?:

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Coates is my LBS even though I live over 20 miles away. Ever since Corey bought the place he's really turned it around. When I first started going to Coates it was still owned by the Coate's family. These are not bad folks but in no way do they have the business sense that Corey has. I used to go in there and there'd be no customers in the store. Really weird but they just kind of ignored you as you were in there. Corey takes over and turned it into a real bike store. Friendly and knowledgable staff. Good wrenches and a great inventory selection. He gives me great deals and I always recommend his shop. I've bought 5 different bikes from him and I've sold 9 others not counting all the others that I told to go there that ended up buying a bike from him.

7. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    I bought my Kona Dawg Deluxe at Coates. The kid that helped me out was very helpful and explained in depth what each bike that I was interested in had to offer. He let me test ride about 5 bikes before picking out the Dawg DLX. In addition I also have purchased goodies for my bike there, too, including a recent long sleeve Kona jersey :bang:from Corey. Corey and his staff are great and very knowledgable. I will definitely purchase my next bike there, too.

8. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

Just wanted to chime in and show my love for this LBS. They are right up the road from me, and I try to give them as much business as I can. I've bought a cruiser, a SS, a bike for my kids, and other goodies over the years. Corey runs a great shop with amazing customer service, and their mechanics get the job done right.
    :bang::beer::bang:

9. des

des big kahuna

thanks for the recommendation. Good to see there are good bike stores out there!

10. emcil

emcil my wife no like me

Spring Maker
    I agree with everything that's been said in this post. I've bought 4 bikes from Coates and they have always been very helpful. I've had small issues now and then but they have always gone above and beyond to make me happy. I bought a stand from them this week and when I found it for less Corey manned right up and tried to pay me the difference, when I rejected that he ended giving me tools that cost more than the difference. He really does care about his customers. I have dealt with almost all of the techs there and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

11. mantaman

mantaman New Member

Sales
    I have known Jack the mechanic for about 19 years now and I can honestly say he is one of the best mechanics out there, so much so that every bike shop he has been at, people we follow him to his new place of employment. I highly recommend buying lunch or ice cream or maybe even beer for your local mechanic/shop workers, not that it will always get you a discount, but it's just the right thing to do. These guys and girls often don't make alot of money and they still have to put up with all of our crap. Word of mouth is better advertising then anything the shop owner could every do, so please tell your friends when you get good service at a shop. (stepping down off soapbox now)

12. emcil

emcil my wife no like me

Spring Maker
    Coates comes through again.

Packing up getting ready to spend the week in Sedona. Doing a little extra pre-ride cleaning on the bike when I spot a crack in my frame. With no time left to fix it, I run out looking to score a new ride. Walked into Coates, where I originally bought my Giant. I tell Corey about the crack and he instantly replies, "it warrantied, no problem". I tell him I have no time to wait and without hesitation he says "we'll get you a loaner".

All I can say is, thank you Coates. They have my old bike now and are setting up the loaner to match the feel. They really do go above and beyond. :clap::clap::clap:

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Wow Dave, sorry to hear but look at the good side.....you're getting a new bike! Have fun in Sedona, you're going to love it. Wish I could of gone but the business has got to come first for now.

14. 06CVPI

06CVPI Member

uber secret
    Coates Cyclery in Pomona, CA

I searched and can't find anything on them here. I just want to give credit where credit is due. Just picked up my third bike from them today. Well this one was for my daughter. I don't know how many of you shop here but I been a regular now to the shop. I been dealing with Cory (believed he's the owner) and he has always taken care of me. The price is not the cheapest compare to other place elsewhere, but I choose to shop here because I can't find a word that best describe the customer service with Corey and the staff there. Having worked in the retail side of business for over 13 years, I know you have to keep a balance between keeping the shop open and making customer happy. I don't know how many shops that let to take a bike home just to demo and not ask for any financial/personal info. :bang: If Coates continue to treat it's customer like they do me, I'll be shopping for a 4th bike pretty soon (24" BMX).

Off-topic, I'm sure there's plenty of Incycle's bike shop review here. But does anyone know what happen to Mt.60 Bikes? I used to be a regular there and dealt with Craig (white guy, mid 30's) I vaguely remember the owner was an older guy maybe in his late 60's. But since I got out of the scene I like to find out where Craig's been. Maybe someone from the Incycle Chino store can chimed in.

15. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

There is a shop review thread on here somewhere. Coates has some of the best customer service around. I've always had a good shopping experience there, especially when Corey is in the shop.

16. 06CVPI

06CVPI Member

uber secret
    I searched for it but nothing comes up.

I think each time I'm there I always see Corey. I try not to bug him, but man he always hooking me up. I guess I'll buy lunch for everyone there as a token of appreciation soon.

17. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    Corey and MOST of his staff is nice. The older lady (Corey's mom?) is very sweet. Rigo is the coolest employee there IMO. In the last 3 years I've bought three bikes from Coates. Customer service is average and accessories/parts prices tend to be on the high side but is expected for an independent bicycle shop. Great location there on Foothill/Towne. The shop is decently stocked and they have a cool vending machine outside for afterhours. Coates has serviced all three bikes and pricing is fair. They've dropped the ball on a couple of orders that I placed by never following up on my stuff. I gave up and ordered the stuff online and had it on my doorstep within two days. I'm not the type of person to be hacking and hacking for my stuff. I may give the business to another shop for my 4th bike but we'll see when I cross that bridge.

18. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

19. 06CVPI

06CVPI Member

uber secret
    Weird, I type in "Coates" and nothing comes up.

Anyways, like KonaDawgDeluxe most of the stuff in there are not cheap compare to online stores or other bike shops. The one thing that repels me back again is the way everyone there treats you. I know this might sounds weird but people do stereotype. When I first stepped in the door, I was greeted with, "May I help you with anything." and treated like I wasn't some punk dude that about to jack the place.

There's a local shop to me and each time I walk in. I get the feeling I was being watched and no one really bothered to ask if I need help with anything. When I'm not working, I'm usually in sandals, shorts, and t-shirts. And don't really blame you if I look like a thief. :?:

I observed a few times how Coates employee treat customer regardless what they look like each time I'm there and it's always been very professional and courteous. I could save a few dollars online and shop elsewhere, but I guess it's the atmosphere of the place makes me come back. Maybe it's because I spent over $6k with them over the last 5 months?

20. heme11

heme11 Brake Rider

Field Tech
    Coates is great! The tech's were super helpful when i had an issue with an 8 speed freewheel on my friend'd dad's bike... Later my buddy bought a trance x3 from them which he loves for a good price too! So far so good and when i'm in the area and need anything Coates will get my business.