CHSP thieves are out there

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Roostthrower, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Roostthrower

Roostthrower Member

Pencil Pusher
    So, I went on my typical 25 mile out and back @ CHSP. Telegraph to raptor to fault line to upper aliso to goat trail to bane canyon to lower aliso to park boundary and back. Everything about the ride was going great until....About a 1/2 mile before I start climbing up raptor/fault line, I get my first flat (no picture, didn't think it was necessary at the time). No problem, I carry tubes. change it out and go. Half way up fault line, I get another flat. No problem, I still have another tube. Change it out and go.
    photo 5.jpg
    Make it to the powerline tower right before raptor and I notice my rear is getting low again. I am out of tubes, but I still have a patch kit. F that, not ready to patch yet. So, I pump up the rear and go. Made it a few miles and had to stop and pump it up again. Well I did that a few times and eventually the tire is going flat in a matter of seconds. I am still about 4 miles from the trail head. Now, I have to patch a damn tube. Ok, no problem...patch it and go.
    photo 6.jpg
    Make to the main entrance at Telegraph Canyon and my rear tire goes flat again. At this point I just walk back to my truck... Its only about 100 yards.
    This is what welcomed me when I returned to my truck after my ride. FUKING thieves stole my backpack w/ my wallet in it. Sunglasses and garage door opener. Yes, my backpack was hidden, AND covered up.
    photo 8.JPG
    I thought I was having a bad day w/ 4 flats. Pffft....that was nothing compared to the crap I got to deal with from this break in. F YOU thief!!!!!! I hope you die a very slow and painful death. Karma will catch you!

Just wanted to let you guys know that break ins are happening at CHSP. I have been parking along 142 for over 20 years and have never had or even heard of peoples cars being broken into. Carry your wallet when you ride.... even if your not going to buy anything on your ride.

2. bing!

bing! Active Member

Hate this. Sorry to hear it.

Ive seen roving crews of 4 from Santa Monica to Leo Carillo checking out parked cars along the beach and trail heads. They nab gear and catalytic converters up and down the coast. You know theyve struck when there is a whole line along the side of the street with crushed glass.

3. pachaven

pachaven Member

Bummer man!!! I hope they get whats coming to them and fast. Where is CHSP?

4. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Sorry to hear this...Where were you parked so I know where NOT to park?

5. Roostthrower

Roostthrower Member

Pencil Pusher
    CHSP = Chino Hills State Park
    parked on the Brea side, near carbon canyon regional park.

6. pachaven

pachaven Member

Thanks. It's been 15 years since Ive done those fire roads.

7. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    I hate thieves - sorry for your loss. So far, I've been having good luck parking in the residential area off of Vesuvius. Two years ago, my wife purchased the OC Parks pass and lately I've been parking in Carbon Canyon Park just past the tennis courts. I've never seen trouble there either.

8. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    I'm sorry to hear this. I park at the east side by Green River Drive, next to the 91 fwy, and even there with the huge traffic flow, I worry about breakins.

The flats would have ruined my day, but the robbery would have put me over the edge. BTW, the last time I rode at CHSP, I came back on Alluvial Fan trail near the golf course, and I must have over 20 goat heads in my tires when I got to my truck. I plucked each one out with a needle nose pliiar, and each one sealed up with the Stans liquid in 1-2 seconds.....time to consider tubeless?

9. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Looks like you parked off Lambert Rd by the Call Box? I've had a OC Parks pass so I've also been parking in Carbon Cyn Park, but before that, I parked in the neighborhood off Santa Fe Rd, right where the park is. There's a nice sized parking lot there and it's right across from Carbon Cyn Park. Sucks what happened, now you gotta spend $$$ to replace a window.

10. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    That totally sucks. I didn't think there was any other available parking in that area aside from actually going into the park.

11. avmonter

avmonter Attitude is everything!

Counselor
    I'm sorry to hear about this. :(

12. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    Lots of robberies happen there. Had some friends get hit a few times.

13. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Sorry man... :(

14. motohp

motohp New Member

Hmm collection I guess
    make sure that you also change the code on your garage door opener, since they have the remote and your address. Thieves SUCK

15. jaime

jaime Member

that sucks bro !
    one day i finished riding skyline and was heading to my truck and saw this family (dad mom 2 kids and grandma) next to their mini van, making a call, and when i got closer, they asked me if i saw a small pock up with 2 guys leaving the scene, i didnt, but they told me that when the exited the trail to head up for their minivan they saw this small pick up, going away fast and then realized that the rear window was broken, the stop to walk in the trail for about an hour and found that the luggage, baby diaper bag and more stuff was gone.... hey come on a baby diaper bag..?? that day were only thsir car and my truck.. i always carry my wallet and leave everything else at home
    by the way... i run mr tuffy liners AND slime inside the tubes, after getting 2 flats the same ride at floop. and never again i got a flat, not even riding tru a goat heads bush seriously... it might be heavy but it works !

16. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Sounds like your Friday the 13th.

Just remember: Karma baby Karma ...

17. taprackbang

taprackbang Member

at first thought your bike was stolen..sucks man..I feel your pain..hopefully they (burglars) get pulled over by the locals..they'll get caught.

18. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Sorry to hear...damn frustrating and infuriating...

19. biknpam

biknpam Member

I've used a park pass for many years now and if nothing else my car has been kept safe. I used to park at Green River but friends (not me luckily) had their cars broken into several times so I don't park there anymore.

This isn't the safe world we all remember... desperate times and people are doing things they shouldn't. And its easy picking when we park on the road in a quiet, out of the way area. Anyway, recommend parking either in Carbon Canyon County Park, the State park or Brush Canyon Park in Yorba (to do east chino) to keep your car safe.

BTW it's tough riding in Chino Hills right now - heart of goat head season... as much as I enjoy them, I stay off the single track and only do the fire roads unless I want to change flats... I am seriously thinking of going tubeless..

Anyway so sorry for your bad adventure...

20. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    From Brush Canyon Park, is there a dirt path-road that heads east by the railroad tracks to the golf course?