CHSP 11/22 big loop

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by gigerrider, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

This is not the route I put together a few weeks ago, (That was a Telegraph Canyon entrance, Golf course exit in anticipation of continuing south through Coal Canyon for a dirty century.) I put this together yesterday. This route hardly makes use of everything in the Park. I'm playing around with other versions with alternate entrances and exits.

So this route is Tele to the Eastern multi-intersection of Upper Aliso/Ranger Ridge/Tele/SoRidge/etc (Does this have a helpful name like "4corners East" or "6 corners" or "Toadspit Junction"?)
    Go left at Ranger Ridge (W), right at Faultline (NE), left at Upper Aliso (NE), right at Sidewinder (S), left at Upper Aliso (SE), back to "Sluicebox Junction" (Or whatever it's called.)
    Take the unnamed connector (E) to a left at Upper Bane Ridge (N) continue N. Bane Canyon Spur, cross Bane Canyon, (If that is possible), continue on Fenceline.

I see now that what I thought was Fenceline actually becomes Longway/P-line. I am assuming the gray areas on the non-satellite view are off limits? Anyway, it looks, (Depending on how much of Bane Canyon is closed,) like a similar route can be built by exiting Fenceline on Slaughter or Corral.

So assuming Fenceline is open and there is a southern connection back to the eastern side of "Lickboot Crossroads" (Maybe 4C East is a better name,) proceed SE on Lower Aliso, cut back on Scully, to return to "Noname Junction" head west on South Ridge to descend Bovinian to Four Corners, to North Ridge. Take that to Gilman (S) cross Tele to Little Canyon Trail turn R on South Ridge and ride it out to the end.

I should also point out that my CHSP experience consists of 1 small trip riding my BMX up Tele to 4C, up Bovinian, and South Ridge/Deimer back. Beyond that I only have Lunch Hours spent looking at Google Maps, RRs and out of date YouTube videos to go on.

Lastly, I think the best solution is what Andre said, "Let's just go ride it."

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33....0!2m2!1d-117.780107!2d33.909049!1m0!3e1?hl=en

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

It it has been closed to everyone for a good while now.

3. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

How ironic.

4. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

it was named for a hiking group called "hills for everyone" - they worked to preserve some part of the park or something.

5. biknpam

biknpam Member

You might be thinking of Raptor/Faultline which runs next to HFE, a trail which has always designated as Hiker Only. It's actually been closed to hikers as well for several years.

There are still lots of trails to ride in Chino Hills but for now, anything coming in from Chino/old ranger station/Bane is closed and North Ridge is closed from Carbon Canyon to Sycamore. One can still do Telegraph to Sycamore and climb up to North Ridge and down McDermott. Other than that, most everything is open, however, the russian thistle is really bad this year and is clogging trails, especially singletrack out near Green River.

PS whoever did trail work on SideWinder - thanks! however my friend took a bad spill (her fault). As we approached the bridge she noticed someone had built up the trail, she rolled onto the bridge, assuming the other side was repaired as well and... well it's not. She took a spectacular spill off the other side! Flew right up in the air! She is OK... sort of...

PS: My favorite route is probably alittle lame... around 24 miles... start at Brush Canyon Park, come in at Green River, ride Aliso/Bane to paved road to ranger station up South Ridge to 4 Corners, down Raptor/Faultine. Climb up Raptor extension to Bane Ridge to Sidewinder, Sidewinder back to bottom Faultline and then back out using the Rolling M and Bane Canyon singeltrack and occassionally adding more mileage by doing Skully to Brush Canyon singletrack (which right now i assume is clogged with tumbleweeds). We tried to do Fenceline last weekend but its just to clogged up.

6. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Why is there so much growth if we been in such a drought??

7. mtnbikej

Drought tolerant weeds.....in combination with lack of maintenance.

8. biknpam

biknpam Member

Exactly... russian thistle thrives in our current conditions... have read many articles about how the weeds has taken over places like CO, AZ, NM etc... I just noticed it popping up everywhere this last year so clearly its because of the drought. It doesn't need alot of water, it seeds, grows very quick, then in the fall, it dries out and blows away spreading seed (and thorns) everywhere... This last Sunday my friend and I watched the tumbleweeds dancing up and down the hills... it was interesting to watch... we kept making up stories about this group of that, advancing, retreating etc. Good lord help us, come hte next Big Santa Ana, Chino Hills were be covered with tumbleweeds...

I am hoping some groups will come forward and try for next year, to beat the weeds down before they take hold again.

9. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    I rode CHSP right after the 14" of rain we got in 2004. Telegraph had a massive gap cut into it and bovine you needed a weed whacker just to see the trail!! It was so bad you had to get off your bike and get it up on the rear wheel and push your way through the growth!!

10. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

Obviously we could follow Andre's lead and clear what limited amount we can, but are there any groups that maintain these trails? Any volunteer trail maintenance days? I'm down to go out there and repair/maintain things, but I don't know what rules there are, (Is the state park supposed to have IMBA approved sustainable trails, just safe trails, or is there some other civic entity that decides what is alowable?) or who is allowed to perform trail maintenance.

11. biknpam

biknpam Member

There are groups like SHARE that regularly do trail work in the State Park... its coordinated with the State Park Rangers/docents (so legal...). Something like thistle control is going to take more than just moving them off the trail. It really means getting in and next year, removing new growth before it takes over. Thistle is not a native plant, its invasive and thus slated for removal but groups need to step up and volunteer to do the work...

12. mtnbikej

I was out there about a month ago and the ranger was supervising people doing trail work on Faultline....so obviously there are some groups that they are letting in to do work.

13. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Hills for everyone is an advocacy group that was instrumental in getting CHSP opened up as a state park. They also helped defeat an OCTA/City of Diamond Bar proposal to run one of the toll roads through the park to relieve traffic on the 60/57 interchange back in the mid/late '90s. Pam, I'm surprised that you can even find fence-line nowadays. - Lloyd

14. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I saw Hans doing some work on bovinian about a year ago.