Chris Horner - Vuelta 2013

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by vlad, Sep 2, 2013.

1. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
  2. Pilas

Pilas Member

I don't know if you had a chance to watch the stage, but he ripped the competiton appart. He rode away with about 4 or 5 Km. to go and he looked very strong throughout. Definitely looks like a contender at this point. Question is how he is going to respond to the last week of the race. Let's hope he has the legs to keep it up.

3. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

God I hope he is clean. he roomed with LA at a few races over the years. so I have my doubt and he kinda flew under the radar during all this doping scandal. Guilty by association in my book

4. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

not bad for an old guy!

5. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    He's one great hill climber that's for sure.

6. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

My wife and I used to ride with Chris from time to time 'back in the day'. While I can't say for sure that Chris is/was clean, I seriously doubt he ever doped. Chris is as opposite Lance as you can get. He's a straight shooting, genuinely nice guy. There is no way anyone could possibly look at this guys career and say that he took any shortcuts in getting where is is today. The guy has been working his butt off for years and years, surmounted quite a bit of adversity along the way, and has finally (albeit late) arrived!

7. forge55b

forge55b New Member

Chris never had any amazing highlights during the doping era and just now when riders are supposedly clean has he been making people look twice.

8. mellow

mellow New Member

I can't believe how much he was standing on the pedals for that last 5k or so.

Also when Nibali attacked out of the group, he looked so much faster than everyone else yet failed to gain any time on Horner.

9. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Isn't he the one who killed Andy Schleck and Levi on the Baldy stage a few years ago and won The Tour de California?

10. mellow

mellow New Member

If memory serves, he had killed everyone leading up to the Baldy stage and then gifted the stage to Levi (his then teammate) after they rode away from everyone.

11. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

You are correct. For some reason I remembered it as Levi couldn't keep up.
    [video=youtube_share;jSGwliW1iNE]http://youtu.be/jSGwliW1iNE[/video]

12. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I'm pretty sure Chris won just about every big race in the US and most of the smaller ones. He won tour of the Basque country in 2010. He did well in the Spring Classics that year as well. I agree he's always been just under the level of those we now know to be dopers. It's great to see him at the top!

13. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    This is the best sentence I ever read in relation to the doping scandals that have hurt our sport. Mmay be now is the time for true talent to come out.

14. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

At 41 he gives us old phuqs some hope.

15. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

Pollyanna's? Common people, We all want to believe in fairy tales. Look at all sports where athletes got stronger past their mid thirties and look at what happened. I love how he's kicking ass but my head ain't buried in the sand. I love racing!
    Seems we give a pass to nice people and put a knife in the backs of dicks. Each type dope. So what?

16. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

I still feel that the sport (MTB and Road) is still not clean. its been going on way before LA won 7 tours. So is Chris a guy peeking in his early 40's or a fraud ? I don't know? but if you belive this sport is 100% clean then my kids are enrolled in Hogwarts this year

17. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

we've got ourselves a race! It's going to be an exciting week.

18. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

JB - If you want to believe in fairy tales, just look to your right and your left next time you line up for a Masters MTB race.

Amateur Racing... that's the great untested frontier of doping in 2013. I honestly think its pretty rampant in Amateurs in general and specifically in Masters. I can understand the skepticism of the pros, but at least the pros are being tested. Amateurs are completely unchecked except perhaps at Nationals.
    There are certain individuals (and even certain teams) whose performances defy logic... and I'm not talking about age... a 200lb muscle bound dude cannot lead a lean-fit 145lb climber up a prolonged climb... but you can see that at local races.

19. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Off topic here but I think its a very good point. I'm not a medical expert in any way, but I have a feeling that testosterone use might be fairly frequent in some of the masters races. If a doc prescribes testosterone because a person is aging and loses their ability to naturally produce it, that person might need it medically, but they would be doping and should not race. Same with DHEA which you can get at the supplement counter of any CVS or Walgreens. It's also a common active ingredient in over the counter male enhancement pills. It too is prohibited. I'm not sure too many folks are using EPO and some more exotic stuff because thats fairly difficult for the average Joe to get their hands on, but I'd be curious as to how many racers have these more common drugs in their blood.

20. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

[h=1]Horner will battle on despite defeat in Vuelta a España time trial[/h]By: Alasdair FotheringhamPublished: September 4, 19:45, Updated: September 4, 19:44Edition:Second Edition Cycling News, Wednesday, September 4, 2013Race:Vuelta a España, Stage 11Do you like this?

[​IMG]
    Chris Horner (RadioShack) showed a remarkable renaissance after an early season knee injury, winning two stages and racing into the lead ahead of the...
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    American drops to fourth overall but still gunning for lead
    If Chris Horner (RadioShack) is ever in need of work, he could do worse than go into fortune telling. The 41-year-old American put up the best defence he could of his overall lead in the Vuelta a España, but failed - as he had predicted 48 hours earlier after winning at Hazallanas - in a time trial that did climbers like him no favours.
    Horner finally finished 20th in the time trial, with his time loss on Nibali pegged to 1:29. He is now fourth overall, 46 seconds behind Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) along with Alejandro Valverde (Movistar), while Nicolas Roche (Saxo-Tinkoff) slotted into second place with a fifth place on the day, now 33 seconds behind in the GC.
    Unlike on his two mountain top stage breakaways, and unlike a surprisingly strong Valverde, Horner never looked wholly at ease on the windy, 38 kilometre time trial course. However, as the ever upbeat American said, it could have been worse.
    "I liked the route, I’m sure if it was flatter then I would have lost a lot more time," Horner said afterwards. "I thought I would lose about a minute or so."
    However, in the grand scheme of things, Horner feels that the time trial may have a limited impact on such a hard course: "The rider with the best luck and the best legs in the mountains will be getting the win for sure," he said.
    But Horner remains defiant, insisting that his battle for the Vuelta lead is far from over. Asked if he thought he could get the red jersey for a third time in the race, he answered with a single, emphatic answer: ‘yes.’
    "Maybe this morning when I had very good legs, I got the illusion that I could keep the red jersey but this is where I wanted to be: between one and half and two minutes down on Vincenzo.
    "Now I believe the race will be won in the mountains with tactics and luck, when there will be no teammates left. I've had a really good shot at the red jersey and I want it back."