Cheatin Stravaholes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtnbikr, Jun 29, 2014.

1. mtnbikr

mtnbikr Member

I've never been a Strava kind of guy. I ride with some pretty fast dudes and know where I sit...faster than most, slower than some. That said I've been riding more lately and figured I'd time myself and compare to Strava for some of my routine trails.

Below is the well known luge. I know and have ridden with some of these leaders and they're fast for sure - Aiello is world cup fast. But then I see some names that make me say WTF, there's no way?!

I was bored so I looked used the Strava analyze feature. Aiello's speed is fast and consistent in the 20+ MPH range. His time is 8 seconds better than my best. Totally plausible, mad respect for the man.

Then I see this putz one place and one second behind Aiello. I rode in a group with him once and waited at the bottom of every DH. I look at his analysis and see 40+ MPH spikes. Cheatin, lyin POS. Are you going to tell me he somehow managed a 16 MPH faster top speed than Aiello? He's all across other nearby trail leaderboards with similar BS speed claims.

It's bad enough I'm bored enough and insecure enough to give a sh!t to even look at this but somehow skewing the data and posting it up as if its the real deal takes insecurity to a whole other level.
    Luge1.jpg
    Luge2.jpg

Luge3.jpg

2. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    First off, thats Zaks backyard trail that he's ridden hundreds of times. Second, Zak's faster than aiello on the luge. Third, Zaks faster than most people ive ridden with. Fourth, Zaks faster than me too. Fifth, dont hate, repect. Kids 18 years old and just graduated highschool and has most of the KOM's in the OC. Give him a couple of years and youll for sure know his name. Sixth,sevenh,and eighth its not Zak its Zwaaaaazzzzzzzzzz!! Ninth hes not human he is an earthworm. Tenth, Zwaazz is the king of tinder as well.

Happy Trails!

-Mo Awesome

3. bing!

bing! Active Member

Hello. My name is Ryan Spangler. You killed my Strava rep. Prepare to die.

[​IMG]

4. DH_Gnarlier

DH_Gnarlier pretty much dialed

condom tester
    I think he's talkin' 'bout Spangler... I saw zwaaaaaz at aliso ones, then I got dropped.

5. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    I've seen Strava ruin more than one friendship.......

6. me and my bike

man of many trades
    lol my bad if he was! Dont know spangler, so he could be right!

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

This is the problem with the system. It is not perfect. Trails that often times have tight turns/switchbacks sometimes, the GPS will not record each turn....therefore just creating a straight line through them. Yes, this does cause trouble with the times.

There is a trail that I ride regularly that I am great number of seconds behind a girl that I know is not a fast descender, on a downhill. You look at the track on the ride and you can see why.....straight line through the tight/twisty part of the trail.

While it is not the fault of the rider for this bug in the system....the rider should know, and remove that posting/time.

8. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

The "Full Luge" to the creek (about 1.0 mile segment) is notorious for being inaccurate. Down in the canyon, under the trees, switchbacks very close together, all bad stuff to record an accurate GPS track. Has to do with the GPS signal accuracy for each recording device, which can get very "loose" under those conditions. i.e., out in the open, clear sky, you could see 9 foot GPS accuracy. In the canyon it could be 100 feet. Strava sees you down the hill 100 feet from where you really were and says "that's it he's at the creek, stop the timer". You're not even into the switchbacks yet and you just set a really fast time to the creek!

A better segment to look at is the "Luge First .08 mile". Seems to be more accurate there and you won't see as many false times because the segment end is before the switchbacks and trees. If you were talking about Spangler, he's not in the top 10 on the ".8 mile" segment. Zwazz and Aiello are still 1-2.

bottom line, you can't take Strava too seriously, just have fun :)

9. robmcd

robmcd Member

Bartender, Eco-tour guide, Scallywag (trader joes)

I know Ryan Spangler well, and all I can say is, if he is as fast on a MTB as he is on a moto (which he is), than yes, this is legit and yes, he is faster than probably all of the people participating in this thread. That is all.

10. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Don't let me use Strava on the Luge. You'll see a time like you have never seen.

11. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

This thread is Zak approved.

12. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Accountant
  13. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    I agree, Strava has plenty of Flukes.

Anyhow, i seen different times with Android phone vs. True Garmin gps systems. Could this be part of the reason some of these rides/segment have spikes (one more thing,who cares)....

M.

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    I've had my Garmin record 1,000 feet difference in elevation on the same ride...not so much time. It's not perfect. This is why I use it only to compare me to me.

There will always be someone stronger or faster than you. Levi Leipheimer's time on my climb from the lower GMR gate to Icehouse did not demoralize me. I expect him to be faster. Plus, I was on my MTB.

15. Jackson

Jackson Member

Doin Stuff
    Sometimes I take my phone out of my pack and throw it like a frisbee to my buddy a hundred yards down the trail. It does wonders for your Strava times!

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Maybe it's time to learn to read or was theis just a way to profess your love for this said Zac?

17. shawndoh

shawndoh New Member

My favorite part is that you started the thread with, "I've never been a Strava kind of guy."
    Made it it for me.

18. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

Good for Zak, he's faster than me, and it's impressive that he can hit time like that. Especially as the Luge condition is jacked right now.
    Hope I'm not in front of him on a run or his <3 minute run will be closer to >7.

And I'm like #1700, so about half the people are slower than me and I feel satisfaction in their shame!
    Oh Strava, how could you do this to them!!!!

19. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Mo I think you jumped the gun to defend Zak when it's not Zak's times that are being questioned, too funny but I like you standing up for your boyz.. I don't know Spangler either but I may give him the benefit of the doubt because there are plenty of people who may not know Zak, and Zak is sick fast!!

20. me and my bike

man of many trades