Change Of Pace _ ARacing

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by weaksauce, Jul 27, 2009.

1. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
    BUMP....

My wife and I have done two adventure races this season...Central Coast and NorCal...and absolutely had a blast. We race the Kenda Cup series and do mtb endurance events and have alot of fun. But with adventure racing you get to mix it up...paddle, run, bike, navigate...its a real hoot:)! It has a grass roots feel...like the SoCal Endurance series and keysville classic...and the coures so far have been epic and mountain bike heavy:bang:. Anyways, I wanted to spread the word cause just like mountain bike racing, adventure racing is need of more participates... Here's a link to the NorCal Series...there's one in the san jose area on sept 5th with a 5 hour and 10 hour race option...check it out.

http://www.norcal-ar.com/events4.html

Cheers!

2. minhster

minhster DNF'd

my gf and I actually had plans on racing primal quest but with out current race/vacation schedule I dont think it'll ever happen.... =/

3. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
    Wow...just googled primal quest...thats insane:confused:. We do the sprints right now...usually 4-7 hours and plan on doing 10+ hours next year. My goal is a 24 hour...my wife not so much. I think theres definately a learning curve...navagition, paddling, special obstacles/challenges, and the strategy that is involved in check points (what order,bonus cp's, to cross country or stay on trails)...it all makes a difference...not to mention logistics...primal quest is sick! Hope you get the chance to compete...cheers...

4. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    You guys rock. I've done long 10+ hour days on the bike. Couldn't imagine mixing in obstacles, paddling and things forcing me to use my brain noodle too.

5. ladydeacon

ladydeacon Newbie Dirt Eater

A few of us have been thinking about doing the Big Blue Race in Lake Tahoe. We would all be newbies but think adventure races look like a ton of fun. Have you done any of the Big Blue races? Advice on preparing for a race?

6. minhster

minhster DNF'd

sounds like a lot of people here are interested... maybe we should have a Team STR? I'm in if anyone else is interested.

I think there's one at Irvine Lake every year that we've been meaning to do but it just never happened.

7. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
    Have you done any of the Big Blue races? Advice on preparing for a race?

We have only done the two races, central coast and NorCal. I can tell you that the majority of the sprint participates are beginners and the vibe is great...everyone learning as you go and helping each other out. Once you master the sprints and you move up to the 10+ hour race, then 24+ etc..... Explore these two websites...they have pages with FAQ, LINKS, and RECOMMENDATIONS that will get you started in the right direction.

http://www.ccadventure.com/
    http://www.norcal-ar.com/events4.html

You guys rock. I've done long 10+ hour days on the bike. Couldn't imagine mixing in obstacles, paddling and things forcing me to use my brain noodle too.

If you do 10+ hours on a bike you ROCK:bang:!!! Great thing about the Ad Racing is you give certain muscle groups a break...I especailly like the part where I sit on my arse in the kayak...cheers.

8. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
  9. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I have wanted to do the Central Coast Challenge Dawn to Dusk event for a few years now. It looks like a blast.

Question for you weaksauce, do you have your own kayak(s)? Or do you rent? I really don't want a kayak but want to do the event one day.

10. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
    I dont own a kayak...not enough room with all the bikes in the garage. At the central coast the kayaks were included in the registration fee:clap:, along with paddles and life jacket. The other race you could rent them from a local shop and they dropped them off at the beginning of the kayak stage of the race...which is real nice. The race on sept 5th is only mountain bike, trekking, and navigation.

Oh yeah, when a adventure race says trail running as an event...it really means bushwacking up a canyon through poison oaks and climbing up boulders with rope and clinging onto 70% slopes and sh*t...tons o' fun. Cheers!

11. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Good times!

Sounds a bit like my Ritter trip last year, http://mtbmaven.vox.com/library/post/mt-ritter---2008.html.

12. seanclancy

seanclancy New Member

I did the Big Blue 24 Hour adventure race at Lake Tahoe last year as part of the national CheckPointZero.com series. It was a fantastic course, including the fantastic singletrack on the Flume trail (ok, that was about 1hr out of 24...)...Paddling on Tahoe is awesome....

If any one has any questions about Big Blue, 24hr AR, Expedition AR let me know. The race director, Todd, is also easy to reach and does a fantastic job. He is also directing XTERRA Lake Tahoe which is in 4 weeks.

I live in Huntington Beach and my 3 person team won the USA National Championship last year and the USA national series, going undefeated in 8 races total, including an expedition in Moab and another in Baja...I can tell you that the #1 reason we won was our navigator was also the USA National Rogaine Champion (24 hour orienteering race). We beat some tough teams from Boulder, Utah, etc. often by out-navigating them.

Navigation, Fueling and Team Work are by far the most critical elements of 24 hour adventure racing!

Look at Cal Multisport races if you want a good segue into AR without Navigation. Directed by Paul Romero and Karen Lundgren, two of the USA's top
    adventure racers...they live in Big Bear. www.calmultisport.com

Most US adventure races are listed on www.checkpointzero.com

Give it a try and have a blast. Just remember to hydrate and eat!

Sean Clancy
    Team nuun-feedthemachine.com (formerly DART-nuun)
    www.dartadventure.com
    www.clancymultisport.blogspot.com

13. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
    I dont think you'll have any problems with trekking...great pics...

Sean, thats awesome...your the real deal hollyfield. Although I'm new to the sport...in the couple races that I've done I totally agree with you...navigation and team work is a extremely important. Our team name was just married...so everyone was joking after the race asking if we are still married...i guess a lot of argueing happens during these things. We placed second and first in our two races so far. Navigating can seperate the field and that four years in the army rangers really paid off for our team. I wish you the best with your future races. Cheers.

14. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
  15. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF