Chain replacement and installation question

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by xflite, Aug 11, 2014.

1. xflite

xflite New Member

Hey STR Gurus! Lol! Well it was time for a new chain and I got the 10XL Gold KMC one for my 3x10 Drivetrain - my questions are:

1.) when you buy a 10 speed chain, some people say its a 10 speed chain just put it on and go - some say you need to measure accordingly and cut it to length before install - which is the right way to do it?

2.) after installation using a master link - have you noticed during the first few cranks it makes a weird "shifting noise" - although its not shifting it makes a thud-shifting noise and after a few cranks it vanished. Is that normal for a newly installed chain?

Just wanted to hear from the STR Crew on there thoughts.

Thanks

2. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Regarding chain length - it's easiest to lay out your old chain and use it as a guide...cut the new one to match.

As for the noise...did it go away after a few cranks? Maybe the master link wasn't properly locked at first?

3. noweyout

noweyout Can't kick dirt habit!!

For the noise, I would clean and relube the chain. Personally, I never liked the factory lube and it goes away right after I do this.

Also, clean your drivetrain.

4. xflite

xflite New Member

Yeah at first I thought it was skipping.... After a few heavy cranks it vanished and throughout my 4 hour ride up and down it didn't act up