Chain jumping off narrow wide chainring

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by RS VR6, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    I have converted 2 long travel bikes to a 1x with a RF NW 32 tooth ring - you never mentioned the length of the RD, if it is a long cage and non clutch, I can't imagine you ever getting this issue fixed without a chain guide on the chain ring.

You can purchase a new clutch RD for $60ish that should solve your issue and while you're at it, check your chain. (purchased an medium cage SLX 10-speed from the path, ordered new-not take off).

+1 on servicing your hubs, seems this is something so many people don't think to do until it's an issue.

2. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

I'm running a 9 sp long cage XT RD.

I'm heading to MT Pinos on Saturday...probably won't get a chance to service the freehub by then. I'll get a pic when it drops...lol.

I've got the RF ring on two other bikes also. A Kona Operator (1x9) and my Specialized Carve (1x10 with a OneUp 42T). Both of those bikes have yet to drop.

3. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I still think it is too much slack in the chain

4. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

Here is the chain in the big cog. I can still push the RD up a bit more. Not sure if you can tell the chain slack with the Bionicon on there.
    I also checked if the crank rotates forward when I move the bike...it doesn't

chain.jpg

5. bing!

bing! Active Member

Spent the weekend in mammoth with my bud. We installed a race face nw 32, 11-36 cassette and a long shadow plus derailleur on his bike. Chain stayed on no prob.

6. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

Soooo...I pulled another two links off...and the chain dropped.

Is it possible that when the rear triangle moves up hard/fast enough...it'll buck the chain off? I did think about getting a clutch RD...but that means on top of a RD...I'll need a 10 speed cassette, chain and shifter.

Lol...can anybody recommend a E-type upper guide that will work with a 30T.:lol:

7. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Check the wear on the cogs of your RD. Mine got worn out faster with the 40t GC and NW 30T and it started dropping. I replaced them and took out one link and havent had any drops since.

8. grendal

grendal Member

+1
    Hub drag is also more pronounced when in the smaller cogs in the rear. Check it in your smallest cog.

9. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Only time I had a chain drop running any NW ring is on a VPP2 bike with RaceFace 32t NW ring, using the middle position on RaceFace crank, Shimano 10spd chain, XT clutch RD, XT cassette, on a section of my XC loop that gets up to about 22-25 MPH. Lost it trying to pedal up a short 10' climb out of a dip. Quite the flow killer to stop and put it back on--eliminating chain drop was one reason I decided to go 1x, but on my 3x/2x at least I can pedal the chain back on, losing only a bit of momentum and focus. Had absolutely no problems with chain drop (or anything else drivetrain related) with XX1 rings on my HT and FSR bike.

Not sure how to help, but to say that definitely isn't normal. Perhaps this info lends itself to finding some sort of pattern with chain drop, perhaps it being an issue with RaceFace rings and suspension with high anti-squat/kickback.

10. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

Only thing I can think of is when the rear triangle compresses over a hard hit...it bucks the chain off. I'll check for hub drag in the small cog.

I've gone over some pretty rough stuff with my HT 29'er (same 30T ring)...and that chain has yet to drop.

Appreciate all the input! :beer:

11. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

So I finally figured out what is making the chain drop while riding at Pinos. Its when I'm in the two smallest cogs. On a hard hit...the chain will drop. If the chain is in any of the larger cogs...it'll stay on.

I've already removed 6 links from the stock 3x setup and the RD looks to pretty stretched at full compression.

I just gotta get a chainguide.