Ride Report Car Wreck - Aliso Wood Canyon! Opening ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by A D NOH, Aug 15, 2010.

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    it depends on the amount of rain. generally park can be closed for 2 days for every inch of rain. Tuesday night/wed morning, even though there was a brief period of hard rain, the total amount was only about one or two tenths of an inch, and it was spotty.

2. UniGeezer

UniGeezer Adventure Cyclist

Piano technician
    Was there this morning, and rode up to Mathis, then dropped into car wreck...and it lives up to its name! This trail is like Rockit times TEN! Pictures cannot do justice to the true steepness! No doubt about it, this trail is the very definition of "intimidating"! No wonder I didn't see a single mtb or even hiker on it, yet Aliso was packed with riders otherwise! For mtb, you really would need body armor and full face helmet to ride car wreck with any speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this drop cost me a fractured rib! (I had one about 2 years ago, doing a drop off of a 6' phone booth!)

[​IMG]

3. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Nice! Sounds like my group just missed you, we rode car wreck this morning around 11:30. Heard some guys talking about a crazy unicyclist going down Rockit though...

4. UniGeezer

UniGeezer Adventure Cyclist

Piano technician
    I didn't ride rockit, but I wonder who the other guy on a uni was, unless they meant me. I started at cholla, then took it up to the mathis drop in, then dropped in at car wreck. Took that down then back to coyote canyon trail and back to canyon vistas park area.

5. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

Thanks to all who were responsible for getting this trail open again. We used to ride it years ago, back in the early 90s when (I think) it was a legal trail. Can't wait to see it again!

6. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

Just got back from an Aliso loop. Went down car wreck and I saw 6 hikers going up. The trail is in good shape and the bottom is rocky as ever. I wish they would have left the original steep section and made the current trail the alternate route. Still a great trail though!!

7. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Unfortunately, the ruts were just too big to salvage the original trail. Also, the rangers believed that with the weather (rain) it wouldn't be sustainable; therefore, the decision was made to reroute.