Ride Report Car Wreck - Aliso Wood Canyon! Opening ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by A D NOH, Aug 15, 2010.

1. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    Wow,
    Thanks to the Park Rangers, SHARE, and the many others that put in their sweat and tears to make this trail open up.

During the ceremony, there were approximately 25 people listening to Ed, Gene?, and a SHARE member give a speech. The three of them cut the rrribbon and the trail was opened. Garret took the initiative and headed down first! I followed suit and ended up following one person behind Garret.

I brought my ContourHD camera so I have two videos going down Car Wreck. *The quality as usual is decreased when converting to vimeo and to a different file type. I just don't want people to base their opinion on the camera from my vids, haha.

Some highlights:
    A guy on an ellsworth with a fox 40 climbing Mathis at least twice in a pace that is faster than most on trail bikes.
    A fun technical trail being opened in Aliso!
    Meeting some people and chatting at the bottom while watching people ride by just after they rode Car Wreck.
    One of the more funny comments was something about how opening that trail didn't do much for him referring to that being the last time he was going to ride it.

As expected and said on previous threads, this trail caught a lot of people off gaurd. I don't think people were expectant of the nastier portions of the trail. It became quite crowded and I felt that people would stop at the wrong places. If you were riding a cyclocross FELT bike, I would like to thank you for standing far off to the side of the trail. This guy was so far off the side of the trail, I am surprised he had room for his bike that was behind him! Well, I guess the added people stopping on opposite sides of the trails from their friends located a bit lower just added a bit of technicality, haha. *disclaimer: I understand that some people just stopped at different sections because people in front of them were walking down the middle of the trail*

There are a couple of STR members in my videos, Garret and Kaliman (sp?)

Nice to ride with you guys.
    Sorry to stick you with Youtube's current quality. I tried to convert to WMV to see if it was better than AVi but no luck. Any suggestions?
    Hopefully vimeo quality will be better. I will upload those later.

*After the car, i'd suggest to stay high and to the right. If you watch both videos, you can see that the first time, I rode high and right and the tree never entered consciousness. However, in the second video, I had to put a foot down to avoid getting smacked because I took the lower left line. Also, I'd suggest staying high and left on the last rock garden. I kept going right, haha.

UPDATE: First video is now MPEG so the quality is much better
    [Youtube]WrG7wRWpd0U[/Youtube]
    [Youtube]0evozXhKpKc[/Youtube]
    [Youtube]0mZJOWfl2iI[/Youtube]

2. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Yeah i went on car wreck today and it scared the heck out of me haha. Pretty dang technical

3. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    thnx for the video...where the rider in front of you hit the soft sand (2:14ish) I knew would be too soft for many..nice ride..u make it look so easy!

4. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Yup that was me, Gene. Paul was the SHARE member and is currently the President of SHARE.

Nice job on the video and I agree with the left line being the preferred line to take. I ended up on the right as well, but the 2nd time down, I knew to stay left. Also riding high right around the tree is the ticket. I've got some pics to post later.
    Thanks to everyone who made this happen and came out to ride it.

5. dwrads

dwrads Member

I've known that trail for almost 30 years... It was an old trail the first time I rode it.

It was the first trail I rode when I first got a mountain bike. It was called Paradise Trials then and now for some of us that are old enough.

It's a happy occasion when a trail with that heritage is finally recognized for what it was and is.

It's a sad commantary that it took so long...

DW

6. Trek

Trek Doc

looks awesome... thanks on the guys that made it happen... is the trailhead on mathis?... i wanna check it out later..

7. Kaliman

Kaliman New Member

Thanks for the video it turned out good. Car Wreck is a good technical addition to the trails in Aliso and is quite challenging. It was fun hanging out today watching the riders come off the trail.

8. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

You make it look so damn easy. :(

9. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    I loved it. My buddy was the guy saying he'd never ride it again too technical. It sure kept my attention from top to bottom, put a foot down a couple times, but otherwise tackled it, fun stuff. My other buddy shot the thing on his DH bike and we never saw him again 'til the bottom of Mathis. A good work out for the entire body in short compact punch, nice ! !

10. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
    I know where I'm going on Tuesday!

11. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Thanks for the ride report and videos! Was nice riding with you guys. Awesome day today, it was great to have this trail open again, and we ended up hitting it twice as you can see from the videos. That bottom part was giving me trouble all day but I'll hit it on a week day and clean it this time :D . The steep rock garden at the top is definitely my favorite official feature at Aliso so far.

The loop I did today was really enjoyable (except mathis :p) and definitely a great workout.

12. thephat

thephat Active Member

It was good seeing you guys out there today. Cool videos. It sure is great riding Car Wreck again. I posted a video of Maxwell on Car wreck from this morning. It is on The Path Sunday ride thread.

13. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Salesman Section 42 LIHTC
    How bad is the poison oak/ivy? Looks like it may olny be at the bottom of the trail around the car area. Wish I could have made it today.

14. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Great ride today. It was nice to have an old favorite back!
    Here's Tanis video;

15. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Not bad at all. It's completely avoidable unless you overshoot the root drop and switchback at the bottom, then you will end up in a nice bed of the stuff.

16. Trek

Trek Doc

rode car wreck today... flipped over the bar... and it was awesome... hahah.. the videos are deceiving indeed.. you make it look soo easy and smooth!.. when i got it looked wayy gnarlier in person.. lol.. but car wreck is awesome

17. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

Just came back from Aliso, Car Wreck is awesome!!! I had to dab one time but no spills. I'm surprised I cleaned most of it but only wish I went faster. I think my fork blew after, it feels soo 'spongy'. Anyways, be safe on this trail and be aware of your surroundings.

18. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    On my to do list..Orange county needs something like this. A legal dh spot. Any jumps or drops, the video is sketchy on an I phone.

19. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Oh question, ??

Is there a one way trail sign at the bottom??

20. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

It is a 'bi-directional' trail. There is a small drop at the top, you can huck it if you can pick a good line or roll it. Keep your head up and think ahead. There are some tricky spots that can get you in trouble.