Biker vs. Hiker in Peters Canyon. Hiker airlifted out.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by mtbcop714, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    This is a great image. Hikers are like cows. If a herd of cattle were on the trail, would you bomb past them figuring they would all move to the "correct" location so you could sail by?

If you answered yes, let me know so I can turn on the GoPro!

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Reminder: Please stay on topic and leave out the rude remarks! If not, don't be suprised if some posts are deleted. ;)

And a reminder, no matter how much we don't like yielding the right of way, hikers do have it. You cannot predict what another person will do. Riding multi-use trails will always have this issue. Ride accordingly, and have a nice day. :wave:

3. TooTech

TooTech Member

env. consultant
    They are continually called hikers. Are they hikers or just town people walking on dirt trails? Hikers, from what I have seen are very in tune and aware of their surroundings. The closer you are to a city the more "walkers", not hikers, you are going to encounter.

Same issue with Whiting Ranch. Headphones, walking 3-4 people wide across the trail...Give them a wide birth, FOR YOUR SAFETY.

BTW, those Japanese hiking regulars at Whiting rip and are very trail friendly. They are like hiking machines, singLe file, courteous and work with other trail users (i.e. MTB'ers).

4. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    I am sadden to read of this incident. Peters Canyon is a wonderful trail with easy access making it a very saturated with all levels of both hikers and bikers. Healing vibes to all.

5. mantaman

mantaman New Member

Sales
    They were going fast enough to have her air lifted and them with a separated collarbone.

6. bosco

bosco New Member

Operations Director
    Hope both will recover quickly, and be back on the trails (hiking and riding). The last time I rode Peters Cyn I was approaching a elderly lady hiking (single track section), I slowed to a snails pace and announced on your left, and darn if she didn't move to her left (so expect the unexpected). I slammed on my brakes, fell to my right (still clipped to the bike) and proceed to start laughing. She asked if I was all right, and apologized for not knowing her right from her left. I said no worries, appolgized myself, and we both started to laugh.

Just keep an eye out, announce yourself, slow down, and be polite. The last thing this sport needs is (more) negative press.

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

FYI, there are lots of studies that show that your brain processes the word that it hears i.e. Left or right which is why there are so many mishaps!!!! I like to use, "Do you mind if I pass"?

You don't necessarily have to be going "fast" to break your collarbone!

8. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I think they're Korean. And yes, they are really friendly either smiling or saying hi, and always I notice move over to let bikes pass. Other groups I've noticed walk 5 across the trail and when you greet them I've gotten little response and they don't move an inch. So I just stop and let the on coming herd pass.

9. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I ride in the SRP alot and come across hikers and equestrian almost every ride...even in the middle of the week. I always dismount for the horses and wait for the rider to give me direction. THe last thing I want to do is spook a horse. As far as hikers. Pretty much the same thing. I'll do a moving dismount type of thing and walk on by (unless its ony the big quadrupletrack trail). Its just safer and it would really suck if I caused someone to be injured or had the area closed down to bikers because my accident was the 'last straw'.

10. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    I was just going to say....they are Korean.

Edit: AND.......they are there almost everyday and can out hike most people that pedal up Mustard.

11. whitechocolate

whitechocolate Large Member

More Cowbell!

I wear "Bear Bells" to alert anyone or anything that I am in the area when I ride. Even if I don't see someone coming, they may be able to hear me coming and avoid a collision. Santa Barbara MTB assoc. sells mini cowbells to attach to your bike also. Sometimes you don't have enough time to react to ring a bell or say something.

Your trails need your support! Contribute to the SBMTV bell program by clicking the "PayPal Donate" button below!
    You see the bell boxes on our local trails. During the Summer Months, SBMTV has been spending up to $200/Mo. in materials alone to keep the boxes full of bells. With your support, SBMTV can continue our local bike bell / trail user education program that has helped ease trail user tension and created a safer trail network.

SBMTV is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization. All contributions are tax deductible, and we will provide a letter acknowledging your contributions over $25.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  12. antihero

antihero I ride a XR-75

I b hop over them :?:

13. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    i heard this was actually a rider-on-rider incident from somebody's buddy who witnessed it.

sherpa and i saw a rider get carried out last month. we had seen the group earlier in the ride, and they looked out of their comfort level on the downhill. this place is turning into another fully loop (i'm scared too, kids).

14. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    As a result of the station fire I think I've gained a new respect for how lucky I am to have trails at all. It's a privilege that we either take personal responsibility for protecting or we don't.

I urge everyone to treat every other human you encounter out there like they're grading your report card.

Right or wrong, when it comes to trail access, the Mountain Biker is always going to be the expendable casualty.

Mott

15. danlorek

danlorek New Member

perhaps the hiker ran into the stopped biker?

...all these gosh-darn assumptions

16. Stallion51

Stallion51 Rookie

Need a horn that plays the Ludacris song chorus,"MOVE B***H, GET OUT DA WAY".

disclaimer: B***H by no means is referring to the female in the article, just a general referance to the person going slow in front of you :lol:

17. jdavid

jdavid New Member

good point.

18. Mtnbkrdr98

Mtnbkrdr98 Member

Customer Service
    Some really good insight in this thread, especially from folks like Smoothcontrol.
    We really do need to do a speed check before coming upon hikers, go slow and announce our presence in advance and not rely on them to understand left or right (not meant in a belittling way)..
    When I lived in Orange County before, I used to do a warmup lap or two at Peters and then go ride trails at Oaks, or just use Peters as a convenient way to get in some climbing, singletrack and pedaling. I do like the park and hope this doesn't affect mtn bikers access to the park. I'm somewhat concerned about that now, depending on what happens because of this... actually more than somewhat

Here in the Boise foothills, there are tons of hikers, of course, until you climb higher, and most of them seem to have an attitude of entitlement/superiority, regardless of what etiquette is given them. I've directly experienced that attitude by hiking family at Whiting, as well - on the climb up, where you do a little downhill before the sand trap section and then the little short rock tech section (if any of that is even there anymore), don't know the name of that trail, but well before you come to the sign and the climb up Mustard road...

19. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    I had to stop twice today in Whiting. Once for a family with little kids, at the quick turn-up/switchback on Borrego. I'm never in such a rush that I would put a mom/dad and little 3 year old kid in danger. Just waited till they walked through the switchback.

Saw 2 big groups of Asians, many not speaking English. Again, came to a stop till I could pass safely. They were running every which-way trying to get off the trail, and I'm saying loudly that there were 2 of us, so my riding partner wouldn't clock one as he/she stepped back on the trail. At least 20 in the group, so no way to make sure all are off the trail safely. I try to conduct good business and take it super slow while passing them.

Agree with what was said above that HIKERS know their trail courtesy, and WALKERS are newbies to nature and don't know trail etiquette. Judge accordingly when coming up on someone, but always remember, you're out riding, not racing, so no need to endanger anybody.

Jeff

Borrego Trail.

20. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

What ever the situation is, hikers, walkers, pissed off superior complex pedestrians, just give them the room. It's safer for everyone.

Just remember some of those hikers you come across with attitude may have had bells ringing on their ears, and the dust kicked up on their faces for the last hour.

Try hiking on a multi-use trail, you'll see what it's like :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.