Bike Bling .....the shop (Threads merged)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Team Smitty, Aug 13, 2008.

1. sankaman

sankaman New Member

Mixed feelings

They are one of a few LBS that keep a more substantial inventory in stock in the area. They also have good prices, especially when coupled with their 10% discount. I once ordered a 2009 fork, but since they were out of stock, they upgraded it to a 2010 for free.

On the negative side, they hire incompetent mechanics. After buying a new fork from them, I had one of their mechanics cut down the steerer for me. I had brought my old fork in the store so the mechanic could use it to measure. He then proceeded to lay down the forks, dropouts aiming away from eachother, in order to mark the line. If I didn't stop him from cutting it, he would have left with with a 3/4" steerer tube. He gave me this look like I was crazy until he realized his mistake.

When I ordered some new shoes and gloves, they emailed me that it would be on a 1 week backorder. I thought this was reasonable as I wear size 49. It ended up taking 2 1/2 weeks to get it. And when I did, they shipped me the wrong color gloves.

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

More Mixed Feelings

I figured I'd weigh-in with my experiences. I've been to the store a handful of times and placed a couple orders online as well. Overall, I'd rate the experience as neutral. Read on for more details ...

Let's start with the actual store. As has been mentioned in other reviews, it's not that big, but they've managed to pack a TON of stuff in there. The staff is hit-and-miss. Sometimes they come right up to you and offer help, other times you can be there twenty minutes without anyone saying a word to you. The guys on the floor don't always know their stuff, which can be disappointing. I asked about the size of a headset and was told that all headsets are the same size ... and the same for seat posts. Um ... I don't think so. In other cases, though, the sales guys have been able to provide some great information and recommendations. A little more consistency would definitely be nice, but as with most things the situation could always be worse.

One comment I will make is that the vast majority of items do not have prices on them. I hate having to bug employees to check prices. Then again, customers aren't left with much of a choice. The other "issue" (if you want to call it that) is a lack of inventory. The web site shows tens of thousands of items in every possible size and color. The store, for obvious reasons, doesn't house everything. This isn't really a knock on Bike Bling - just a note that you can't expect everything to be in stock. If you really want or need something, your best bet is to call first. If you can wait, they can definitely get it for you.

I can't comment on the mechanics as I have not yet had any work done at Bike Bling. I've heard both positive and negative comments on this site and from friends. All I can say is that I'd be willing to give them a shot if and when the opportunity arises.

Now let's move on to the online ordering system. It's easy to place an order and you get an automatic confirmation right away, but that's where the communication seems to stop. I've placed two orders so far. On the first, a week passed and I called the shop to see what was going on. Apparently the item I ordered was no longer offered by the manufacturer. I was given a song-and-dance about how they could order all the parts individually, but the price would basically triple. I asked how long they had known about the issue and was told right away. I question why they wouldn't contact me sooner ... why they waited for me to contact them.

The second order was for a set of rims. I asked for a price match and got a response about eight hours later. Keep in mind their price matching is not automated like some sites - a person is actually checking things and responding manually. For what it's worth, my recommendation is to include as much information as possible in your price match request (other site, link, price, color / size). In any event, I placed the order and selected in-store pick-up as my method of delivery. I called the next day and after a decent wait (roughly ten minutes) I was told the rims would arrive no later than Tuesday (two business days) and that I would be notified when they arrived. I sent an email Tuesday night when I hadn't heard anything and was told the rims were ready to be picked-up. Again, I had to initiate the communication here - I was not notified when my merchandise arrived.

Here are my observations. First, it seems like the phones and online system are being maintained by ONE person (Kerry, the owner). He's a great guy, but he needs to let his employees help him more. He's done a bunch of advertising and I'm guessing his business has been growing rapidly. Well, it's time to grow your staff accordingly. If you had more people answering phone calls and emails, customers would get better service ... and would probably order more from you. I really respect Kerry for his hard work and positive attitude, but it seems like he's creating an unnecessary bottleneck in the customer service process, and, based on some comments on this board, losing some customers by doing so.

My recommendations are simple. First, give them a chance. I can't guarantee they'll answer your call or respond to your email right away, but I know they try. Second, if you're in the area, stop by the shop. They have longer hours than most shops and lots of cycling eye candy. And third, if you order online and intend to pick-up in store, you can always select "cash" as the method of payment. This allows you to cancel an order at any time without having to worry about getting a credit card refund. When you pick-up your gear, you can always ask to pay with a credit card. I've done this and it's worked well. It's a great, safe way to give them a chance while minimizing your own risk.

Wow ... that was a lot. Hopefully this has given an honest perspective to anyone who has read it. I guess the bottom line is this: Bike Bling has a ton of gear and great prices, but their customer service is not quite where it needs to be. I hope they continue to work at it and improve - if they do, they could easily become a go-to supplier for cyclists all over the country.

3. gone2vegas

gone2vegas Crash Test Dummy

aspiring lottery winner
    I'm in the market for lights and my friend told me that anytime he has gone in to Bike Bling the owner, Kerry, always says he'll make him a deal. So I went to test the theory.

I previously bought my RASE seatpost from Bike Bling online. It took a while to get it, but that was supposedly because of the manufacturer not Bike Bling. I bugged them a lot, both on the phone and via email. They were quick to respond to emails and pleasant on the phone.

The shop is small, but fairly well organized. As BrianT mentioned some of their stuff doesn't have prices and you have to ask, but I just took everything up to the counter when I was ready and decided if I wanted it or not when they told me the price. This is more of a hassle for them than me.

They didn't have the specific light I was looking for, so I didn't try to wheel and deal, but when I asked about the helmet cams I was told that they were wheeling and dealing on the VIO's.

I'd say, if you're in the area definitely check them out.

I'm in OC so it was a bit of a drive, but it was cool to check out a new shop. They're a bit far for me to go on a regular basis.

4. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Got a chance to stop in finally. Big thumbs up. Didn't have the lockring tool I needed, so they let me buy the one they had in the shop so I could get running for the weekend, and come back in to exchange for a new one. Awesome service.

5. Drakethomas

Drakethomas New Member

Suspension tech, propulsion system tech,Space stat
    That was cool of them

6. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    A curse on Bike Bling

For those that don't follow the shop's posts on Facebook, this just popped up:

F'in hilarious. Is Dragos a member here?

7. Drakethomas

Drakethomas New Member

Suspension tech, propulsion system tech,Space stat
    Hey tell me how you really feel.

8. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
    Just completed my first experience with BikeBling.

Relative to my high expectations, they earn a B+
    Relative to experiences with every other bike shop I've ever dealt with here and on the east coast, they score an A.

Kerry is the miracle man. He worked so hard to make me happy and get my order right even when a few things went wrong for him.

First, neither the shock nor the wheels that were supposed to come with my bike were in stock. He special ordered them and had them express shipped so my bike would be ready on time.

Next, there was a mixup with the order from the manufacturer and he received some of the wrong parts. He went out of his way to fix the situation of his own accord and get me the right parts with everything still on time. He even upgraded my brakes from Juicy 7 to Elixir CR so that I could have my bike on time.

He understood I had to drive from the OC, and he and his staff went every extra mile to make sure I didn't waste a trip down to Escondido (or the time set aside for it).

Mind you, he did all of this while still giving an unbeatable deal. With my last experience from elsewhere not having gone so well, where I had to get my money back, he understood I could only afford to pay him what I had been refunded, even though he only had a different, more expensive component set to work with.

Everything on the bike is brand new, everything is current/latest generation, I got all the warranty cards and manuals for every part, and everything works beautifully (except one brake that is being warrantied).

Kerry is the man. Even though Escondido is so far away, from now on I will try to pool up my bike purchasing needs until I can make a visit to his store.

There are only two strikes against BikeBling in this situation:

1. As with my last experience 'elsewhere', a BikeBling mechanic scratched the inside of the chainstay with the rotor. The prevailing mechanic attitude seems to be that it's too hard to put the rear wheel back on without hitting the chainstay with the rotor.

I've done it several times; and you can be damn sure if it was their own bike they had just bought, they'd have figured it out. (just take the chain off first and hold the derailleur clear with one hand until you get the wheel in the dropouts).

Since this happened with two different shops now, I've resigned myself to living with the scratches :( :( -- but I won't let any shop touch my rear assembly from now on without showing them myself how to do it right.
    2. Once back home, I discovered two bottom cups on my headset instead of one top cup and one bottom cup. Kerry responded that the kit arrived from the manufacturer like that. He said he'd help resolve this with the manufacturer if necessary. Since the manufacturer has also already given me outstanding customer service, and since I plan to ultimately get a CC or CK headset, I'm not going to sweat it.

But I do wish the mechanics had caught this and said and done something about it in the first place.
    So, grade = A because of those two mishaps, otherwise it would have been A+.

And yes, I think Kerry might be overworked. I hope he can find some more worthy help. But decent labor is expensive and the economy is tough, and customers like me are even tougher.

BOTTOM LINE:
    If you're in the area, or up for taking a cruise to check out a new shop, do yourself a favor and go to BikeBling. The store itself is decked out with awesome stuff packed everywhere, great lighting, and appealing displays.

2 big thumbs way up!

9. dicky

dicky New Member

RAILROADER
    Our first experience w/ bike bling was last year when I was shopping for a bike. Dont get me wrong, the store is very well stocked w/ most everything you'll need. However, the owner (Kerry) was comparable to high pressure car sales man telling me what bike I should ride, even after I told I was interested in a different bike. We didnt buy from him because of this. And is it just me, but if you're trying to make a sale, should'nt you stop talking on your freakin blue tooth while assiting the customer?

10. vonvon

vonvon New Member

President of Dig Dat Corp.
    Home Page:
    When I was there he was rockin 2 blueteeth one in each ear :lol:

He didnt try to pressure me into buying anything though he just sat back in his office wheelin and deelin his product. He seemed like he was having fun and so did his crew which made for a good vibe in the shop.

11. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Has anyone ordered from Bike Bling lately? I ordered some Kenda Excavators last Thursday 2/24 and have yet to receive anything. Order says it's still being processed. Two emails have been sent and no response. The Boss will be calling them in the morning. She's better on the phone than I am. I think I'll stick with Universal, Jenson, Bluesky Cycling, Pricepoint in the future.

12. igoyippy4skippy

igoyippy4skippy New Member

electronic tech.
    they moved to a bigger store about 2 or 3 weeks ago so things may be in chaos. probably get a better result by calling than email.

13. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    They moved, I had same issue until I went in and see whats up (im deaf i cant call) and they gave me discounts for having to come in.. Although I dont mind coming in because its better now that they have BIGGER shop! more blings! more goodies! although I see youre from Simi, ugh.. thats an issue.. try call them in..

14. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    I ordered some Nevegals like 2 months ago or so and got them in about a week. I was about to call because I never received the tracking number, but when I picked up the phone a package was at the door.

15. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I ordered from them a year ago and am remembering the same thing. Will call today.

16. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I ordered a pair of 5Tens from them very last minute for a trip to Downieville. They arrived at my front door the next day! I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

17. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

The tires are back-ordered from Kenda however Bike Bling's website showed them in stock. I ordered them from there because no one else has them in stock. Oh well. If they don't come in before my Nevegals wear out I'll just have to stay with them.