Biggest Differences Between Hybrid and a true "Road Bike?"

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by axtran, Jul 8, 2009.

1. axtran

axtran New Member

University Server Administrator
    I know the look and feel, from what I've seen/heard the Hybrids are like mountain bikes with road wheels... how is the seating position? And what is better overall, the Hybrids or the Road Bikes? Is it preference? If I went with a Hybrid, would I be more prone to fatigue? :?:

2. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

What are you planning on using the bike for? What are you trying to achieve?

3. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Tires, weight, comfort on long trips.

Wheels and tires are a little stouter and typically will need less maintenance long term. On a hybrid you can drop and hop curbs but on a true roadie with razor blade tires and funky bars it's more awkward and wears things out a little more quickly. If you just want to ride around the neighborhood, bike paths and occasional horse trail go hybrid or 26" semi-slicks. Now if your goals are being in the saddle 5+ hours and pedaling endless expanses of blacktop then you had better start shopping for spandex.

You are going to hear lots of opinions from random web folk so I would suggest going around to a few different shops and trying out different examples of both, find one with a cool vibe and build a relationship with some new riding buddies.

And if you have not yet noticed CX is an option, but is just a road bike with skinny knobby tires and obsolete brakes. Personally I like the SE draft since you can fit BMX cranks, any kind of fork/seatpost and gear it however you want. For only $289 at Adrenaline you could do a lot worse for a beater, single speeds are great for durability...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009
  4. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    Ain't nothin' wrong with spandex. And if you do shop for 'em, show velowear.com some love.

Also, I take my cyclocross off curbs, on horse trails, and general road riding. 45 psi on 35c tires.

5. bikerider

bikerider New Member

Hybrids are really only good for cruising bike paths or to the local coffee shop. They are more comfortable than road bikes, more upright and have bigger seats. Hybrids won't stand up to the abuses of dirt and are too heavy for longish road ride.

Better overall depends on what you are using it for. 50 miles on a decent road bike is easy and quick. On a hybrid, not so much.

I second the cyclocross option. They are decent offroad machines, and a little more upright than road bikes.

6. wizard

wizard tradersancho's dad

Chemist
    Go w/ a hybrid if you are only interested in riding to the store, beach, etc. For real road riding (greater than 10 miles or so) go with a road bike. The lack of multiple had positions on the hybrid is a real downer. +1 on the spandex.

7. axtran

axtran New Member

University Server Administrator
    I have a Specialized Rockhopper Comp right now. I LOVE MY BIKE! However, I wanted another bike to ride around town, Road Bikes look so hardcore though. I was wondering if I picked up a Hybrid (like a Trek FX, or 7000-series) it would be better (the feel is great). I don't know anything about the differences between these bikes and cyclocrosses...

8. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    I second the action to test ride different bikes at local shops. you may also want to travel to non local shops like the path, performance bikes, incycle, jensons simply because they have a large on hand inventory and every one here likes those shops and the shops are reputable. the only way to know which you like more is to test ride for all a longer day if possible.

9. kkfromla

kkfromla New Member

i think the biggest difference (beside the geometry and more upright position of a hybrid) is the swing down handlebars of a road bike... i wanted something that I can ride around when I don't go mt biking so I went with a hybrid. I am so used to the upright riding that a road bike with the swing down bars just felt a bit awkward so the hybrid with its flat bars definitely won out. Also, a hybrid with front suspension will definitely slow you down, but it makes the ride 1000x more comfortable esp if you are riding in areas where the streets suck..

10. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
  11. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    The Giant FCR's are more like a road bike (700C wheels) with flat bars. They share frame geometry with the OCR/Defy family, more touring oriented. They're lighter than the other commuter/26" wheeled hybrids, and I've seen more than a couple of them on centuries and long stage rides.

They are within a couple of lbs, and are just plain fast.

12. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    Defiantly go with a flat bar road bike. you can then up grade if you find the road is more appealing than you thought it would have been.

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    It takes very little time for most folks to become accustomed to road bars. I rode a hybrid for a little and it just felt so inefficant. I put racks on my tour bike and it road really well but nothing compared to my road bike. It all depends on what you want to use it for. I've seen people take hybrids out to century rides and most end up hating the ride. It's like using the right tool for the right job. Makes life that much better.