Beyond Bikes

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by crazyjeys, Apr 10, 2008.

?

What do you think of Beyond Bikes Inc. in San Diego?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2009.
  1. Love em

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Eh

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. I would drive 100 miles to the next LBS. before i buy something from them.

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. noweyout

noweyout Can't kick dirt habit!!

They need a faster server for their website.

2. mouse jockey

mouse jockey i can't type the letter s

molecular researcher
    I just was there yesterday. I called ahead and ordered an X9 RD and X9 trigger shifters. The RD was in stock and shifters are on their way. When I arrived I sat down and talked a bit with Zach and Tanner who were very helpful and courteous. I walked out happy. :steppie:

3. Zonacat

Zonacat New Member

Life
    To be fair, I have had the same experience almost every time I have been there. But, they are primarily a website company that just happens to have a shop for the locals. They aren't really in a retail area, more of an industrial office park.

I usually look online, then call them to make sure it's in stock and to ask about any sales, then go in and get what I need.

Never used their service, as I usually service where I buy the actual bike from. In most recent case Cal Coast. Good guys, quick service.

4. keoke526

keoke526 New Member

Navy
    I agree with the online experienceand sometime you have to wait, but I deal with Tanner all the time and the customer service is great IMO.

5. elgatosolid

elgatosolid New Member

Engineer
    I ordered stuff from them, didn't experience any hiccups

6. spartanduner

spartanduner New Member

I agree with every point made in this thread. They do need a faster server. The fact that they price match is great. Their retail service isn't the greatest and they are geared up more for phone/internet orders. I live within 5 miles of the store and am very happy that they will actually let you walk in and buy items at their store. Many phone/internet businesses do not have this option available even though you may live next door. They have rearranged the store recently and placed a counter up front by the entrance and there is normally someone sitting there ready to help now. I for one have seen a huge improvement in service since this change took place.

7. ODGenius

ODGenius Banned

I've been riding for about some months now and have gone to a handful of LBS. I live in here in San Diego and curious to see what you folks think about Beyond Bikes in Carmel mountain rd. in San Diego. Also, would like some recommendation on LBS through out SD. I reside in Chula Vista.

8. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    I've said this on here before: be wary of ordering online at Beyond Bikes! I've had fraudulent activity on my credit card on two separate occasions following transactions at that store.

If you shop at the store in person, my advice is to use cash. For online purchases, go with PayPal :beer:

9. Fatty Los

Fatty Los New Member

ODG, I have been in BB and ordered online. At the store they were helpful, but have had an issue ordering online. Placed the order and after my card was billed received an email saying its backordered. A week later sat on hold for twenty minutes and just gave up trying to get through on the phone. I did cancel the order and got a refund with no problems.
    San Diego wise I go to http://www.northoftheborderbicycles.com/ in Mira Mesa. They know what their doing and wont steer you in the wrong direction just to make a sale.

10. evdog

evdog Member

They seem to have constant problems with online orders. That's why I only make purchases in person at the store, and only things that they have in stock. If you stick to that, you won't have problems.

For a LBS I prefer North of the Border. Great guys and they will come close to matching prices from the online retailers except on closeouts. They don't have a lot of stock but can order anything and have unbeatable service.

11. dvsjp79

dvsjp79 New Member

Science
    like the posters above, I've ordered online and had nothing but problems with the item being backordered for 2 months. In the store, they are good with items in stock

12. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    I have dealt with them and my brother loves them. We have dealt with them many times in store with cash and online, and have had no problems. However, i would take the drive up to Escondido(extra 15 min) and just go to Bike Bling--theyre ,by far, my favorite shop in SD/North County area!

13. ODGenius

ODGenius Banned

:wave:

14. ISuckAtRiding

ISuckAtRiding Homebrewed Components

machine shop owner
    nice, i didnt know there was another shop in esco. thanks for the tip.

15. nau56din

nau56din New Member

Twice in a row my friend and I stopped in to pick up a few things and whatever my friend brings to the counter they tell him he can't have because it's already been sold online. Twice!

No separation between stock on the shelf and stock for sale online? Not removing things from the shelf that are already spoken for? Wack.

Al

16. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Salesman Section 42 LIHTC
    Made one online purchase saved 35% but items were backordered for two weeks. No big deal wasn't in a rush. Credit card was handled correctly but I'll monitor it. Didn't know much about them but I buy 90% online. They seem okay to me.

17. davidB

davidB Active Member

18. Happy_Gilmore

Happy_Gilmore Blood Donor - Give Life

I have nothing but Good things to say about Zack in Customer Service.

Every order has been delivered, accurate, and on the date promised.

They have matched the lowest pricing on any US based website no mater how questionable.

19. ODGenius

ODGenius Banned

20. BH1

BH1 New Member

Art Director, Motion Graphics and Animation
    I've heard nothing but horror stories about ordering stuff online through them but have yet to test them out. But I was down in SD not too long ago and decided to make a stop at their shop and was blown away with the store and what they had in stock. The guys that worked there seemed to have great system for waiting on customers and I was waited on with a few seconds of entering the store. The guys I was talking to were very knowledgeable of bikes which is hard to find in bike shops believe it or not. If I was closer, it would be my LBS for sure. The simple fact that they have inventory is reason enough.