Attn: Newbs and Lurkers.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dino Brown, Sep 2, 2007.

1. RideNEtime

RideNEtime New Member

car mechanic
    Nice thread Dino :clap: . Enjoyed your visit yesterday. Hope you join us for a turnball ride.

Nice thread Dino :clap: . Thanks for stopping by the shop yesterday, I enjoyed the visit.

2. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    No doubt, this sight is very cool.
    I ride about 3 times a week, and I know I am missing out on a plethora of sweet dirt down south, do you people know where the hell Acton is?
    To hook up with a morning ride I would have to wake up at an ungodly hour to fight traffic, and for a later hour, that would have to be on the weekend because the traffic is herendously hideous.
    I know there are a lot of cool people out there riding the mountains of So. Cal.
    I'm pretty sure that when I get bored of the trails in my area I will start riding the trails down there that I here so much about.
    And just to tell you Dino, I did post for some company to ride with, and only one nice gal invited me to join her on one of her regular rides.
    I know it is kind of ironic that I'm cool with risking being attacked by a mountain lion,or breaking my neck , getting bitten by a rattlesnake,or stung by killer bees.
    But traffic? Damn I hate it.

3. Infamous

Infamous Member

Great site! I'm new here and I'm newly returning to mountain biking. I grew up as a pretty hard core BMX racer in the 80s, then did some MTBing in the 90s (mostly south OC stuff - Aliso, Whiting, El Morro), then got back into BMX for quite a while. Got into road and some track too. Anyway, I've been missing trail riding, so I'm in the process of building a new steed.

I'm introducing myself now (before being ready to ride) because I'd like to be able to ask some questions along the way and this seems to be a great place to do it.

Looking forward to riding again, hopefully with some of you.
    Mike

4. dirtyjeff

dirtyjeff The same, but different

REBAR? what?
    :welcome::welcome:

5. keoke526

keoke526 New Member

Navy
    I will probaly lurk more than contribute, but I will definately add when I can.

6. Jmoe29er

Jmoe29er Member

VP Music Accessories Distribution
    Home Page:
    Dino your always right on...I am really digging all the post up's.. photo's...info!! and just the cool vibe from everyone in STR...my goal is to get to one or more of the rides ASAP....I love bikes I am a clown and ready to ride and have some more fun...You will be seeing me sooner than later!! My first ride with the group was great!!! :beer:

7. BIGChris

BIGChris New Member

I ride in groups, but lurk in forums. I only give my input when I have something others have not contributed. I am ornery and like to give advice only when others will consider using it and not dismiss it even though they asked for it.

8. joshuatree

joshuatree New Member

Student? Teacher? Bike Rider!
    Memorial Day @ Golden Eagle

My brother and I ran into a bunch of the SCV Dirtbags on Memorial Day. They were excellent cats, told me about your board, now I'm here. Nice to see such a strong community - and you're damn funny too. :beer:

JTree

9. harosocalrider

harosocalrider New Member

Great site, glad i came across it. i am 37 and come from a bmx back ground like other's here and have been riding a 05 haro zero but actually just stepped up and bought a 08 felt nine solo 29er today, so we will see how it goes-so far i like it a lot but have not had a chance to take it on a real ride yet. i am sure i will be asking questions like where are some good trails in the san diego area and hopefully will be able to return the favor and maybe just maybe have some good info. that will help some one else out lol.

10. Lancero

Lancero New Member

Contractor
    Newbie and Lurker, here, but not by choice. I most certainly will be looking to hit some folks up for a group ride, when I finally get there. That's going to be a bit longer, yet...

But I've already been on the phone today, with an old Army buddy, up in L.A. He's been briefed and we'll be doing some riding!

I'm STILL waiting for some of you all to reply to my inquiry about trails close to San Clemente... I will ride them all, before it's over, but wanted the good word on what's close by, first. So some of you salty ol' campaigners get off your collective asses, and send me some traffic.

I'll continue to live vicariously through all of your stories, postings and photos, until I can get there, so please, keep them coming. Have a great day.

11. heavypedal

heavypedal Member

Teacher
    I really enjoy this website! I try to get my OC bros to check it out and hook up with your rides. I live out near Joshua Tree so it is a little hard to get weekly rides with you guys. I appreciate your site for the bike nerds like me because you have honest opinions and have some great feedback. If you are every in the Joshua Tree or Palm Springs area hit me up. Road or mtb. Thanks again!

12. Sway

Sway king of paved DH

Been a few years since I posted... Left Socal in 06 for work. Had a bad experience on my one and only STR ride (if you remember, if not you can search it) but no harm no foul we worked it all out. Anyway, I'm back in Socal again but this time OC instead of 29 Stumps. I've been living in FL where "mountain" biking is pretty lame, I lost interest, so I'm still a newb. My poor Heckler has only been amassing road miles, oh the shame. Rode the Fullerton loop today and the love has returned.

Great thread Dino! Hope everyone here at STR has been well. Love the new site.

PS. Thanks to whoever gave me the "King of paved DH"... So true! :bang: haha

13. KingDorito

KingDorito New Member

Just showed up and I can assure you I will be a presence on the boards....no lurking here!

14. hobohardkore

hobohardkore New Member

Ranch Hand, Weldor
    hey Dino, i live about 1 mile south of turnbull road on Beverly road... basically you go straight down the road and turn right before Beverly curves right haha.

let me know when you ride ok or ill pm you when else i ride or when i can, because money to fix my bike is rare for me.

i ride my bike so often because im unemployed have almost no friends here G from the bike shop calls me a 'tweaker' cuz i ride so much (i cant disagree with him) i have an extrememly high pain tolerance, and biking is literally the only thing that puts a smile on my sad lonely face. not to mention my bike is so sentimental to me i gave her a name 'Trey'... wierd huh.

15. mindzeye

mindzeye New Member

Project Manager
    Thanks for the welcome Dino. Just bought a bike a few months back and have been riding in Peter's Canyon, either solo or with a buddy. Am really interested in riding Santiago Oaks and trying the Wier Canyon loop - how do they compare to Peter's?

Anybody up for early morning Peter's or Santiago rides?

Sean

16. Sherpa DRider

Sherpa DRider One finger tappy tap!

Architect
    Can't do a morning ride but I'm up for Peter's Canyon 6:00pm ride. Anyone else interested?....you know the Red Monster is calling!!

17. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

yeah i gotta say that str has a real cool vibe,I am a avid motocrosser also and i frequent a forum related.Everyone on there is just reading your post to try and pick something out of what u said and try to make u feel stupid about it.Everyone has been helpfull and mostly positive which was a pleasant surprise as i thought all forums were a bunch of jack asses,,not so:clap:

18. ithrewup

ithrewup New Member

I'm a new guy help me!

Ok, so four years ago I started riding, rode San Juan and and some local stuff around Irvine Park for a while. I went to Whiting Ranch, crashed and busted my face really good, got married and had some kids and haven't had time to ride since. However, I just bought a Giant Trance 2 and bought my wife a new GT Avalanche 3.0. I need advice on where to go for a nice beginner ride that is not too technical. I live in Laguna Hills and was thinking about Aliso Woods. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

19. Bomber50

Bomber50 New Member

You can park at Tijeras Creek Golf Course in the back and the trailhead is on the NW side of the driving range. No one will care. If you head north on the trail, it's a nice flat fire road with a few truck road sections. Nothing too major. It's about 4 miles to the O'Neill entrance and you can turn around and head back for an 8 mile loop, or you can bounce around in O'Neil park for a bit.

20. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    Aliso Woods has a great mix of beginner and intermediate riding with some tough hills thrown in. To check out some routes of various distance, difficulty, and ascent, check out www.geloadders.com. Click on the "routes" tab and for the Keyword, use "aliso". Type in "Orange County" in starts near cell. A bunch of rides will be listed. Scroll to the bottom and click on the "expand search to all routes" and over 1000 routes of all sorts will be listed.

Whiting Ranch is also a fairly close riding area to LH, that offers a variety of trails, roads, single track, climbing, descent, etc. Simply replace "aliso" with "whiting" in the cell.

I found Geoladders to be a great resource as a beginner rider a few years ago, and really opened my eyes to all the fun trails in the area. A great resource to expose one to all the trails in the area.

Hope that helps.
    Enjoy!

Thanks,
    Jeff