Attention Westsiders - RE: Sullivan Canyon (Threads Merged)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by TrojanInsomniac, Aug 25, 2009.

1. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
  2. Burner

Burner WAWE

Usually, I don't get worried about the Sully Cyn "work" being discussed, because after a good rainy season the canyon changes, or reclaims a lot of that stuff. But this proposal is not good, the "work" they are talking about now will be far more permanent... using concrete, etc.

Send emails to the contacts on the link above.

3. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Heard about it earlier today...

This is not good... :(

Additional information is located to the right of "Sullivan Canyon Alert" title
    Map of protected trees to be removed
    Permit to remove protected trees
    Protected tree report
    RWQCBE excerpts

Concerns.... :(
    +1 on the concrete concerns!
    The number of trees to be removed concerns me
    The wide access road they are sure to plow also concerns me

4. TrojanInsomniac

DPT student
    I concur.........it's the concrete and excavations that are really getting to me.

5. ViLerocker

ViLerocker New Member

Student/ Golf Course Construction
    Home Page:
    wow, this is my home trail. I'd be suprised to find out they have all the correct permits to remove or prune the Coastal Live Oaks on that trail. THAT could be a huge fine if they go in there and start removing them. It's up to the gas company to prove that the trees are not native to that specific location, otherwise it's fine-time. I've had to deal with this before.

6. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

That would blow. I hope it's another false alarm 'cause Sulli Canyon is a cool little place used by many.

7. BBBRAD

BBBRAD New Member

Thanks for getting the word out TrojanInsomnic - I posted the info on MTBR.com.
    I also sent emails to all the people CORBA suggested.
    I'm gutted...this is my local trail, one of the very few legal pieces of singletrack in the area...

8. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I plan to get actively involved in this. Please lets all stay on top of this. This is heart breaking news!!

9. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Were losing trails really fast, we must UNITE, for the cause of effective and realistic trail cultivation.

10. TrojanInsomniac

DPT student
    Since I've got a really slow week at work, I'm planning on spending a lot of time riding in that area and talking to trail users. Losing Sullivan would be devastating to both hikers and cyclist! Time to hit the phones and e-mails in the meantime.

11. dgaspar

dgaspar I like to burn things

Attorney
    I love Sullivan Canyon and am bummed by this development. However, I don't know if I would necessarily condemn the Gas Co. It's a pretty decent size gas line running through the canyon and access to it for maintenance and repairs would be fairly difficult. The Gas Co. is not some government entity and instead is a private company presumably worried about its bottom line. This project is going to cost them a lot of money and I have a hard time believing that they are doing it just for the hell of it or just to piss off the mountain bikers.

I doubt if such a project would spark as much outrage if it was being done in an inaccessible and unused canyon as opposed to a beloved riding spot. I will still miss Sully Canyon, though.

12. RazoR

RazoR New Member

I'm going to puke, such a unique fun trail....

13. Burner

Burner WAWE

Flyer on the Queensferry gate to explain this to all trail users?

14. Burner

Burner WAWE

I think most people understand that a 70 year old gas line needs attention. But, there surely have to be "better" ways to maintain, protect, and repair the line... ways that would still allow ALL trail users to enjoy the canyon. I'm no expert, but we've all seen better examples of engineering and nature getting together, than what's being proposed here.

15. dgaspar

dgaspar I like to burn things

Attorney
    Maybe. I'm not a civil engineer but I have dealt with several engineering projects in my line of work. The proposed work in the link does not seem to be excessive for a 12' wide road to be installed up the canyon. Given the amount of water that flows through there, substantial improvements will have to be installed to control the flow of water and prevent the road from being eroded within a couple of years.

I think the better question is whether a road is needed in the first place. Perhaps the line can be abandoned and rerouted elsewhere. I don't know the feasibility or the costs involved though. I would imagine that the Gas Co. already performed a cost/benefit analysis of various options and decided that the road was the best option, even at the expense of those who love to use the canyon.

16. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Whoa man that doesn't sound good at all! :( I will send emails to those listed on the CORBA site when I get home from work!

17. freefallman

freefallman New Member

PhD Student (ie. peon)
    Home Page:
    This makes me sick but this has probably been in the works for a long time. I've seen people in and out of there doing survey work for the past few years. Should have been a tip off....this is my local loop. <tear>

18. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    Agreed. I've never ridden there, am I right in assuming that the "singletrack" people are talking about is actually the access road that has narrowed and narrowed to the point where it is essentially singletrack?

The concrete they are talking about are mats that are used to control bank erosion from concentrated stream flows. In essence, they are doing all this work to shore up the areas of pipe that are exposed. They don't want those sections of pipe next to the creek, the sections they just buried beneath dirt, to be exposed at the surface again after the next bunch of rains. The mats are placed along the sides of the creek channel, and vegetation can usually grow through the mats. Within a few years, if the banks have truly been stabilized, you shouldn't be able to see the concrete mats at all.

All this sucks, but they are totally within their rights to protect their line and to maintain access up and down the canyon. This means that a road needs to be wide enough to get up motor vehicles and maintenance equipment up and down the canyon. Unfortuntately, I doubt the concerns over CEQA have any bearing on this project. Yes, I have experience in this type of work (design side).

19. freefallman

freefallman New Member

PhD Student (ie. peon)
    Home Page:
    So if this is closed while they're working on it can someone recommend a 15 mile or less loop (preferably including some singletrack in the same general area) I can use to get my fix when I don't have time to go elsewhere?

20. ViLerocker

ViLerocker New Member

Student/ Golf Course Construction
    Home Page:
    That's a good idea. Another thing that should be brought up as well. The usage of herbicides...in a seasonal creek bed...I'd be very curious to see what herbicides they intend on using and the time of application. To my knowledge, they're require to disclose what herbicides are used (we have to submit a chemical report to the state of CA monthly).