Armor

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by 92se-r, Sep 21, 2008.

1. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

This item you listed is really an overgrown roost guard

This will actually suit you alot better for cycling purposes

http://www.evs-sports.com/store/?item_id=29

2. Orangesicle

Orangesicle New Member

But no shoulder protection. Its supposed to go undershirt, but it looks hot and heat containing. Blue sky is selling them though... I like the Rockgardn Trailstar but it looks to interfere with the Leatt too much. I met a guy at Aliso who tried it and doesn't use the two together. Maybe I'll just attach the Rockgardn shoulders to Leatt...

3. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:

The trail star and the Leatt are compatible. We had it on display at the race in Fontana this past weekend. If you'd like i can take pictures and show you the proper way to combine both

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I would like to see since i have the Flak Jacket and it would be cool to see how they work together.

5. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:

First place the Leatt and straps down UNDER the back of the trailstar like so

[​IMG]

Then assemble the rest of the Leatt over the front of the T-star like so

[​IMG]

Then reach behind yourself and grab the straps for the Leatt

[​IMG]

Then just connect and your ready to roll!!!!

[​IMG]

I ride like this and i have no issues at all with it. The front does not come up any higher than it would if the front of the Leatt was directly on my chest. I hope this helps :wave:

6. Orangesicle

Orangesicle New Member

I just ditched the Leatt strap system and Thoracic pad in the back.
    The Leatt attaches by velcro to the Trailstar under pad cover. Very secure.
    I cut off the helmet chinbar/upper chest pad from the Trailstar and sewed some stretchy elastic fabric, double, with a fastex buckle for the front.
    Best connection I could imagine.
    Couple of slits in the jersey..viola!
    I will upload pics when I take them.
    Gonna try it out tomorrow for the first time.

7. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

A quick update on my search for upper body armor. I ended up getting the Race Face Rally Armor Jacket on clearance from Wheel World and it fits my needs perfectly. I was looking for some lightweight chest, back, and shoulder protection that could be worn under a jersey, and that I could wear comfortably on trail rides as well. The RF Armor Jacket does it all and doesn't restrict my movement at all. It's definitely a bit warmer than not wearing any armor, but so far I find it bearable even for trail rides where i'm climbing as well. I also have worn it with my Camelbak MULE and it fits fine and doesn't pose any fitment problems.
    Anyway, just thought i'd update this thread. I'll try to take some pics when I get a chance...

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

8. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Question for those of you who wear elbow pads. I liked my 661 Veggie Shin guards so much I purchased a new pair of 661 Veggie Elbow pads. While they are light and comfy, they slid when took a little spill on the trail. The injury wasn't really bad as I believe the pad took the brunt of it, but I still got a bunch of scratches when the elbow pad didn't stay in place.

[​IMG]

I understand it's not a forearm guard so I don't blame the product for the scrapes on my forearms. I was a little surprised to get a raspberry near my elbow. As such, I was thinking of getting something to guard my forearm a little better. Something like the 661 2x4 fore arm guard. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Thoughts? Advice?

9. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I just gave some away

For me they did not cover as much length (in Large, but I am an Extra Long) as my trusty Roach Brand pads, however the ventilation made them much more comfortable despite leaving dirty dots behind:lol:, as an added bonus they are machine washable.:?:

10. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Disco, thanks for the input. Would you recommend them? My only two main concerns are that it would "seem" they would be toasty (causing arms to sweat) on the warmer days and that they would not be flexy/bendable. Now, if they are well ventilated and flexy (not restricting arm movement), I just might get a pair.

11. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    I really like the 661 2X4's for arm protection. They're comfortable, breath well, easy to put on/take off, and attach nicely to a top tube or down tube while climbing. They're cheap too.

12. piccadilly

piccadilly New Member

drycleaner
    Deuter armor hydration pack

I wear the deuter hydration pack that has built in spine armour that meets European safety standards, its not that much heavier than most packs and Ive landed on my back and it felt protected.

Its a great option if you want to be lightweight but have some protection.

The model is deuter attack

13. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

Just thought i'd add some pics I took today of my Race Face Armor Jacket...both with and without a Jersey...
    Elbows are the TLD Elbow guards which fit me well and work pretty good as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    At the risk of being redundant...

I suggest you get something that is very "tailored" meaning that it fits like a glove. The operative word here is tailored, like buying a suit. A good suit really fits in terms of both looks and function. So should your armor. The shoulder pads should be on your shoulders, the elbows on your elbows, and so forth--everything in its right place without limiting your movement or being overly present or in the way.

This is a simple concept, but often hard to achieve. Nevertheless, it's really important because you want the armor to perform its job successfully without limiting your ability to ride the bike. So, take your time getting it right. Actually try the stuff on.

Also, you want to get armor that looks good. There is nothing worse than putting on your kit and looking like a mutant ninja turtle. We're riding bikes not playing hockey, you know?. There are those that might argue "function over form", but then I am speaking for myself when I say that I perform better when I am confident in every aspect of my equipment including the way it makes me look.

Finally, a good way to narrow things down is to be pragmatic and see what the fast guys are running. Find someone that is built like you and check out what armor they are using. I am 6'4" and pretty thin so I would look to see what guys like Peaty, Minnaar, or Cathro are running. Those are serious riders, they're not going to run junk especially when they are trying to shave tenths of seconds. Try that stuff on and see how it fits.

Good luck.

15. damnilocano

damnilocano New Member

Can anyone update recommendations for knee/shin and elbow/forearm pads? I'm not sure if it's possible but I'm looking for armor that is breathable and offers good protection. I sweat.. a lot... like buckets!

16. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

TLD SE Elbow Guards

Anyone try these yet?

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=809_880_898&products_id=2157

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I suggest looking through this thread and then trying stuff on. It's going to depend on personal preference, how much protection you want and what fits you best. What works for one person may not work for another.

17. MikeLord

MikeLord Lost in LA

eCommerce/Technical Consultant
    Home Page:
    Specialized Armor

I finally decided to go with specialized armor. I'm gonna ride today for my first time with it so I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I tried on fox, 661, race face, dainese and specialized. All the other ones did not feel as ergonomic as the specialized pads. Also the material that was in direct contact with your skin also felt a bit rough on the others. This is my first time wearing armor so I figured I try these out. I didn't find any people wearing these so I wasn't able to find any reviews so I guess I'll be the guinea pig and report back. Considering I only tried on the other armor and not actually used them riding, my review will be limited as to my experience with this and not compared to others.

The shin pads are the Specialized Rocca Leg Pads
    The elbow are the Specialized Kani Elbow Pads

Hopefully I crash today so I can give a "real" review. jk :beer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Damm those leg pads are UGLY

19. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Look awfully thin and hard.

20. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    I wear Lizard skins, elbow and knee pads, very comfy. Good Luck with your decission.