Are you following the rear on the group rides with your 26er?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chubacabra, Jan 18, 2016.

1. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

IMG_20160117_212750.jpg Almost on only 100% of group rides, I am thought as the sweeper because everyone on their 29er's and 27.5's are handing my ass to me. Maybe I ride that 42lb Stinky Deluxe? I don't know. What I do know is that I get psyched out looking at the larger diameter wheels in front of me kicking my ass.

I turn around and take a glimpse of my 26er wheel, it looking like the size of a mini chocolate donut. Or I get psyched out at the flashback-- Driving to work, I remember seeing this 6-foot-4 guy riding his old 26" hard tail uphill on the street and the wheels looked like 20" BMX compared to his height. And he was going nowhere fast.

Yes I hate knowing I will get my ass kicked on a group ride if I ride my 26er. Its a matter of tech. Old muscle cars handle like sh*t with powerful motors while today's performance cars handle great with powerful motors.

Back to the group ride. Why in the hell did I bring this thing?! I think to myself, knowing full well I can pedal along without any problems on my 29er, enjoying conversations with others. But no, I have to get these Smurf sized tires rotating at more revolutions just to keep up with them. Christ! I hate this thing!

BUT...fear not! Here are 2 ways to keep up with the bigger wheels.

1. Take everything out of your Camelbak. Yes, put everything out on your kitchen table. Only pack a bladder, car keys and maybe a power bar. That's it. No damn tools, tubes, cell phone, kleenix, bug spray, kotex, eye drops, prescription medicine, flashlights, old copies of MBA, 2 way radios, extra anything, etc. Someone on your group ride will have all this sh*t in case you need it.

2. Remove you rear tire and throw it in the trash and get the Kenda Smoke 1.95, labeled the K816. This tire will instantly provide you with speed only Lance Armstrong can describe. It will propel your sorry ass up hard pack, do well in muddy areas and even roll really fast on asphalt. Its the poor man's Maxxis Minion DHR II, but faster. The single compound of this $21.99 wire bead, old as your dad's flip phone technology tire is harder and in turn rolls on hard pack like a wooden wheel. Softer compounds are great for traction but we aren't friggin' here to achieve that, we are here to keep up with the big wheels. Keep your expensive front tire on, I am a BIG believer with using quality front rubber--its the thing that brakes, steers and controls the bike!

Today at the group ride, guess who kept up with everyone. Right on right on right on.

2. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    Group rides have caused/inflicted way too much trauma.
    Ride solo and thank the good Lord for such bliss.

Happy New Year,
    Steve

da big hills likes this.
  3. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    That is a nice tire. The size is correct (wide in front, narrow in back). It has big paddles every other, I prefer a paddle on every lug but still very good. The price is right, what more can you ask?

As far as leading from the rear, remember there are two muscle groups, the guys out in front are fast twitch riders. Pace yourself, when the fast twitch group stops (which is always pretty soon in a ride) you finally catch up. Do not stop. I do this myself. My groups will always take off, this has made me a reader of trail signs since they do not mark their trail and I get to a trail fork and need to decide which way to go. I find the group resting and I do not need to stop. So I just creep past at my snail like pace and continue on up the climb. On shorter climbs I go from being last to topping out first, on longer ones the really strong dudes kick my ass, but the rest of the group is back in my dust.

Hope this helps
    Happy snail paced trails

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. da big hills

daily night grind
    On the 26: I ride a 2.3 Nevegal on the front and 2.1 WTB on the back. The heavy lug round profile splashes screed out of my way and the narrow rear is for traction. Traction is all about high unit load, narrower tires have a higher unit load.

von likes this.
  5. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

what model WTB is that? I know one thing for sure, the Nevegals in the rear are horrible, I call them Never-rolls.

6. da big hills

daily night grind
    Veloci Raptor is my fav, it has been around forever and I keep going back. 31 bucks at Wheelworld, or Jenson. I have tried many over the years and these hold up best in the lava. When I go small lugs they get ripped off, sometimes in one ride

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016