Anyone sharp with SSV tuning/mods?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Flat Broke, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    I've got an 04 DJ2 and I want to make the pig a little plusher on the first couple inches of travel. Normally, I'm not one to try and sew a purse out of a sow's ear, but a Z1 upgrade or HSCV cartridge swap isn't in the cards right now, so don't even bring it up :D.

The fork is sitting with the stock springs and I'm running 15lbs of air on each leg with 7.5wt oil at factory height. The air is a nice bandaid for helping the springs fight off my 250lbs of love, but the compression on the air is linear so I'd like to move away from running as much air, go to stiffer springs (in hopes of getting more progressive compression resistance), but after that, I'm a little lost on oil weight/level selection and possibly opening up the porting on the SSV cartridges.

So I was thinking that I'd go to a lighter oil to make it a little softer in terms of the compression dampening, but a viscosity change is accross the board and I think that would equal a more bottom out prone scenario. Then to make matters worse I've heard of Drop Offs (very similar in construction to the DJs) topping out bad with lighter weight oil.

Anyone have any input/advice?

Chris

2. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Thats a Marz fork??? might contact www.garageworkssuspension.com and see if Steve offers any mods for that fork... I know Push doesnt touch anything besides Fox right now, but im sure that will change eventually....

3. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    lighter oil will just speed things up,use the spring mods. maybe 10wt.oil and no air.

4. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

well chris you know me so yes, of course I have some advice. :lol:
    Just ride it man. 8)

5. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    Dave,
    Oh ride it I will! It's sitting happily on the Vagrant as of this afternoon. I was just looking for ways to make it a little better. I'll put some pics of the new rig up in a little while.

Neccros,
    Thanks for the link. I'll check with Garage works.

Chris