Any thoughts on the Rockshox Monarch Debonair?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by bing!, Mar 3, 2015.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

I remember there were quality and reliability issues from 4-5 years ago. How much good are they now?

I'm seeing a lot of pluses for the platform currently. Accessible shim stacks, plain air IFP and fully rebuild-able by the home mechanic.

Whats your take? I am taking delivery of my first one today.

2. .:Made in OC:.

.:Made in OC:. New Member

Just installed my RT3 Debonair last week and have only put one ride on it so far, but im loving it. Huge upgrade over the Fox CTD.

3. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    In what way do you think it is a huge upgrade over a Fox CTD shock? I am just curious. An apples to apples comparison would be to compare the Monarch to the performance of the Float X. My buddies ride with the debonair and love it.

4. wheeler

wheeler Member

Way more plush and you can really feel the difference with the compression settings. The Fox shocks have underwhelmed me unless they are custom tuned

5. chevrolegs

chevrolegs Active Member

I don't have any experiences with the debonair, but I have a friend who has one and loves it. I was thinking about going that route, but ended up getting an inline so I could still keep a water bottle! The inline is noticeably better than the CTD that came on my Bronson.

6. .:Made in OC:.

.:Made in OC:. New Member

Like wheeler said above, the entire travel range is much more plush. The RT3 Debonair requires a lot less of initial force for small hits to compress, which gave me a lot more grip and confidence in the corners.

I think you are mistaking the Monarch RT3 Debonair and Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair. I am comparing the RT3 to the Fox Float CTD, not the Fox Float X CTD.

7. bing!

bing! Active Member

I did my first ride. It's a lot more active than I'm used to. I started thinking it was too soft, but the sag was right, and it just kept moving. I understand thats a good thing, but I need to get used to it.

Beyond the ADD nature of the shock, I set it at home, and never touched it again. Thats a good thing.

8. bing!

bing! Active Member

I started doing jumps with the debonair.

Background, I was really happy with my old Fox DRCV RP2. It was a trooper. Took everything well, quite consistent for trail riding, and never really bottomed that thing. I brought it to 95% of travel, but never really saw the oring pop off the end of the shaft. I did noticed that it was a bit harsh on flat drops, but I didnt expect anything else from the shock. It did it's job.

Fast forward, Debonair. Landed a few 2 foot to flat jumps yesterday. Plowed through a couple of foot and a half logs with rock pile ramps, and I was amazed. The RC3 feels like a dh shock on full open. I am ecstatic.

9. trailninja

Quality Engineer
    Good feedback from everyone. The debonair sounds like a worthy upgrade option. Just an FYI though the new 2015 Fox Float CTDs are probably the best shocks Fox has put out in a long time and even rival imo the performance of the debonair. I've been laying down the law against my buddies lately who went for the debonair upgrade. Haha.

10. bing!

bing! Active Member

Do you have the X?

11. trailninja

Quality Engineer
    Bing the Tracer has the oe Float CTD Kashima. Before the purchase I was contemplating a possible upgrade to the Debonair or CC but after riding the bike I do not see a reason to follow through with an upgrade it. It's really that good. Lol.

12. bing!

bing! Active Member

i believe u. I had a drcv which worked for me well.