Another Cyclist Killed

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by mtbfan, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Just lots of drivers.

2. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    #3 - Another one down in Buena Park.

http://ocbike.org/2012/09/buena-park-cyclist-killed-in-auto-collision-9-16-12/

[h=1]Buena Park Cyclist Killed in Auto Collision 9-16-12[/h]
    And then there were Three in the OC

In one of the deadliest weekends for cyclists in the Southland, we regret to have to add another name to the list of lives lost. For now we will leave it as “Unknown Rider” lost in a traffic collision with an automobile Sunday night (9/16/12) at 7:45pm.

The collision occurred on Artesia Blvd., east of Stanton Avenue, in Buena Park.

The male cyclist’s name is being withheld pending notification of his family.
    Additional details are not available at this time, but we have contacted the BPPD to see what information they are willing to share, and will update accordingly.

3. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Combined with at least two mowed down on PCH near Bolsa Chica earlier this year... unfortunately, the title of this thread seems to be perpetual. Road Cycling is clearly the deadliest recreational/competitive sport in Southern California.

There but for the grace of God go I - as both cyclist and motorist. (We all have momentary lapses in judgement while driving).

4. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    There are lots of groups out there. We as cyclists need to support them.

The League of American Cyclists does advocacy at a National level. Get involved.

http://www.bikeleague.org/index.php

California Bicycle Coalition: http://calbike.org/

Orange County Bicycle Coalition: http://ocbike.org/

5. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

It looks like there is only one person who has real beef with cyclists. Amy Rodgers http://www.facebook.com/amy.rodgers.315 Send her a message how you feel.

Maybe if she laid off the pot and hopped on a bike she could lose that gut...

Attached Files:

6. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Down with MADD. There's an example of an organization that loves the smell of it's own self-righteousness and has gone WAY overboard with it's pomposity. I'd favor any solution that doesn't allow them to come in and take credit for it.

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I agree, my comment was intended more towards someone bringing up a idea and looking to someone else to take the action...not my support of MADD.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

8. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Wow... I cant believe I didn't take the time to read the second article. I know her. The 57 year old woman who was hit and killed was Dr. Ritz. She was a terrific person. I consulted with her a few times through my work. This is a huge loss. If you knew her, being a smart and methodical person (which is what made her a great doctor), you'd know she's not the type to weave in and out of traffic or have done anything other than ride in the designated lane.

WTF.

9. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    There was also a cyclist struck and seriously injured on PCH and Dover last Thursday.

10. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    This discussion should really be on the main board where we could talk about organizing options with everyone. I think the turn out in Newport Beach grabbed their attention. If the turnout continues and grows, it could have a real affect. The only thing is...what is it that we want to have done?

I sort of agree that white lines on the road don't make riding any safer. But the white lines encourage riders to use that street and the more bike riders using a street, the more alert the drivers usually are.

One guy at the NB meeting said that something like 90 percent of the collisions are caused by cars hitting bikes from behind. If that's the case, then blind spots, non-stop right turn lanes and crazy fast speed limits should be addressed. And the punishment for texting while driving should be more than a ticket, like maybe a week without the car or something.

Here's my fantasy: A device installed in every car that scrambles the phone connection everytime the car is turned on.

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Best thing would be enforcement. Get more patrols of frequent bike routes(pch) and pull over all offending vehicles(including bikes). Hit people with the only thing they understand a hit to wallet.

12. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    How many billions/trillions did we spend on post 9-11 wars and misc defense costs for the ~2-3000 dead? Way more than that die every year from automobile-related accidents.

That same money in government subsidies and infrastructure would have us all utilizing self-driving cars by now. That's one way to cut out accidents, drunk driving incidents, pedestrian/bike collisions, etc.

13. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    I would favor rumble strips if they were positioned properly. You can't ignore a rumble strip even when your texting.

Also, regarding the painting of sharrows in the right lane of PCH. The delay in this seems to be that the city wants to do some type of community outreach to educate the driving public about what they are and why they are being placed. What better community outreach than making sure that every cyclist who rides through CdM takes the lane instead of hugging the parked cars. It is legal and it will help get the public used to seeing cyclist in the lane. The addition of sharrows is not changing the law. It has always been legal to take that lane.

Another tactic would be to just take a group ride down the lane occasionally. Drivers have to get used to seeing cyclist riding in the middle of the lane.

14. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

Great! :clap:

I think that could help quite a few people.

15. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    They do have a down side. It's pretty harsh if you have to cross them to pass another rider or leave the bike lane for some reason. Our bike lanes tend to be pretty wide though and I think the trade off would be worth the lives it saves.

16. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Send videos and articles to CNBC.com. Tell them you want a list on their site of the 'Ten Deadliest Cities for Cyclists".

CNBC loves this stuff - they do the "Worst of..." on housing, education, crime, weather....whatever it is they think will grab thier readers for another 3 minutes.

Once the Chamber of Commerce and the Newp.Beach council see things like that making the rounds of international media, they'll start twisting around in their overstuffed chairs.

Coalitions are fine. White lines, whatever. Until, unfortunatly, a relative/friend of some wealthy OC resident gets killed on a bike out on PCH or San Joaquin, Newport Coast et al, there will be business-as-usual once the uproar amongst the bikey community goes away. A multi-million dollar lawsuit agst. the city, sad to say, for percieved lack of enforcement of traffic laws might be what it will take to get the police and city on-board with more pro-active plans. Villaraigosa getting knocked down in LA got a lot more press than a woman getting killed on Mulholland.

On the other side of the coin - call Kings, Surf City or whomevers' team kit you see on riders blasting thru lights around town in groups. Put some heat on the bike shops that cater to roadies about getting their act together. Get some press about that. Non-riders need to see cyclists getting some heat too. It makes sense to put the message out there that we (cyclists) know we have a problem amongst ourselves too.

I have met too many non-cyclist customers of mine who regret the loss of life and, then quickly launch into a harangue about cyclists running lights, drifting out of lanes, drafting trucks, alleycatting at nite and so on.

17. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

18. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Newport Beach Memorial Ride: Sunday, 28 October

http://www.newportbeachmemorialride.com/

[h=2]"The Bicycle Safety Improvement FundZ"[/h]
    "The Bicycle SafetyImprovement Fund (BSIF) was established at the request of citizens who want to contribute to bicycle safety improvements provided by the City of Newport Beach.

The next project scheduled (October 2012) for installation is the East Coast Highway Sharrow Lanes - MacArthur to Poppy Avenue, This project is designed to enhance awareness of cyclists and promote proper lane positioning through Corona del Mar by installing Sharrow markings on the street pavement and additonal signage along Coast Highway. The project has City Council approval.

Other improvement projects under consideration include Newport Coast Drive/SR-73 Improvements. This project will modify the existing bike lane striping and install related warning and regulatory signs on Newport Coast Drive at the Southbound SR-73 on and off ramps to improve the vehicle/cyclist merge and crossing at this location.

Among the projects completed by the City over the past several years to enhance and improve bicycle and vehicle interaction and safety are the Bayside Drive Sharrows and Share the Road Signage, Newport Center Bike Lane Installment, Oceanfront Signage Improvements and Bonita Canyon Drive Bike Lane Improvements.

The funds will be used for Caltrans and City Council-approved projects on state routes in Newport Beach and Council-approved projects on local streets. All projects will be consistent with modern traffic engineering manuals."

All well & good. Now, how about the speed limit(s)? Enforcement?

Never once have I seen someone stopped by a cop going up/down Newport Coast. There have been moto cops at the bottom of San Joaquin but, haven't seen them in a while. I get hassled by high-end vehicles all the time (in my truck!) for moving too slow (40 MPH) around Newport Coast - usually on Vista Ridge. The attitude up there is move it, or step aside. Four of us (cyclists) were harassed by a Porsche 911 coming out of the gated area near the top of Vista. Driver floored it as the gate opened and roared out the exit onto Vista - giving us the horn as we passed. Nice.​

19. bing!

bing! Active Member

20. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Umm....yea. Motorist rants usually include the words "almost killed." Yet to hear of a cyclist running over/killing a car.