Amgen Tour of California Stage 6 Pasadena to Big Bear

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by vlad, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    What time would you start at? It would be about a 2 hour and 15 minute drive from my house to Palmdale that morning.

2. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

This is a pretty good plan...see the group off at the start, then bolt via group ride to the top of the climb. Too bad the climb is so far out from the finish...the other place to get in two views is anywhere near Big Bear Dam and then ride like hell to get to Snow Summit to see the finish. With 330 closed 'til June, 18 likely restricted since Rim of the World is part of the Route (but would make for spectacular viewing), 38 up/down is going to be congested. Palmdale seems like the best shot...I say set up a Calendar with RSVP and lets see if we can't make it more of a critical mass commute and STR event.

3. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    The stage starts at 9:30AM so it would be good to get down to the start area no later than 9AM. There is lots of good safe parking near my house (at the high school) which is about 3.5 miles from the start.

If anyone from far away wants to come Thursday evening I can offer a free couch or floor to sleep on.

I'll try to set up a calendar with RSVP today.

The ride from Palmdale to Wrightwood is amazing right now. The rde starts off rolling through the desert foothills on the eastern flank of the San Gabe's, replete with joshua trees, ancient junipers, and a profusion of wildflowers. We ride past Devil's Punchbowl and down into the really cool micro-climate of Vayermo. At mile 18 Big Rock Creek marks the start of 14 miles of climbing up into the East side of Angeles Nat'l Forest past Jackson Lake to the ski area. There are Lots of extra credit loops/climbs on the way back if 64 miles is not enough.

4. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I just posted up a ride with RSVP on the calendar for May 21

If anyone knows how to create a link it would be great if they could go into trailhead forum and create a new post with a link to the calendar ride I scheduled for May 21st. I don't have time to figure it out today. Thanks!

5. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    AMGEN TOC Stage 6 Ride

Enjoy the pre-race festivities and watch the TOC Stage 6 start in Palmdale then hop on the bikes and race the pro's up to Wrightwood (we take the easier short-cut of course). If the weather is nice and anyone interested I will fire up the bbq and heat up the pool/spa after the ride.:beer:
    RSVP

The race starts at 9:30AM so it would be good to get down to the start area no later than 9AM. There is good safe parking near my house (at the high school) which is about 3.5 miles from the start.

The ride is 32 miles each way unless we do extra credit loops on the way back. Elevation gain on the way up is apprx 4.5K' mostly in the last 14 miles, so bring your climbing legs! Mtn bikes will work for this ride if you don't have a road bike.

The ride from Palmdale to Wrightwood starts off rolling through the desert foothills on the northern flank of the San Gabe's, replete with joshua trees, ancient junipers, and a profusion of wildflowers. We ride past Devil's Punchbowl (and several meth labs) then down into the really cool micro-climate of Vayermo. At mile 18 Big Rock Creek marks the start of 14 miles of climbing up into the Angeles Nat'l Forest past Jackson Lake to the Mtn. High ski area. There are Lots of extra credit loops/climbs on the way back if 64 miles is not enough.

If anyone wants to come up Thursday, I have room at my place if you're willing to sleep on the couch or floor (or set up a tent in the back yard) - just let me know ahead of time. For over achievers bring the mountain bike too as my back yard butts up against 20+ miles of trails, including about 12 miles of spankin' new singletrack which I'm told will be featured in MBA next month.

6. joekeays

joekeays Done and Done

HS Mathematics Teacher
    Sounds like a great time. I live 3 miles from the start of Stage 8 so you're welcome at my place.

7. markgoldsmith

markgoldsmith New Member

My Tenative Plan:
    1. Park the camper at the snow valley parking lot.
    2. drive car to 138 & old mill rd to watch at the top of the climb from silverwood. Very steep long climb, the first major selections will be made.
    3. drive car back to SV via old mill to miss road closures.
    4. watch live feed at SV bar (need to confirm this)
    5. hike to and watch the final climb to lakeview point.
    6. back to SV bar to party

still a work in progress Your ideas?

8. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
  9. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    I checked out the route details with the Palmdale switch and I'm thinking we might just stay tight in Big Bear. The in-laws are right off of Summit Blvd and we could watch the finish into Snow Summit.

My father in-law walks up the ski area daily and chats it up with the crew. The snow crew has heard that there's going to be a festival style welcoming held in the ski area's parking lot. - just hearsay for now.

10. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Thanks, I'll be riding over to Westlake that morning with some friends that live in San Fernando Valley (haven't decided yet on where to watch the race from).

Probably will climb up to top of Rock Store climb and watch from there. Maybe we can meet up somewhere?

11. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    ...rockstore climb is a cuircut race in thousend oaks (not sure what stage). stage 6 finsihes in big bear.

12. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    He is talking about watching the 8th stage in Thousand Oaks.

13. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Yep we'll be riding from Palmdale start to mtn High/Grassy Hollow to spectate on Friday for Stage 6.

and riding from Winnetka to top of Rock Store climb early Sunday morning to view stage 8 .

I'll miss the TT on Saturday 'cause have to ride the 12 miles of brand new single track behind my back yard with my buddy STP to make up for all the evil road riding:)

14. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    ^Thread killer
    (sorry)

15. JCinSinCity

JCinSinCity New Member

Road Closures ahead of the peloton

Does anyone know how far in advance of the riders the CHP or race officials close the road? like a lot of folks I'm trying to play the Hwy 138/Hwy 18 "leapfrog"... view the climb above Silverlake Reservoir, then hightail it ahead past Lake gregory to get to Hwy 18 before the road's closed so that I get blaze on ahead to Big Bear.

16. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    Your talking about elite road racers, you'd never make it going the front way. You might make the finish at SS by going up the back way (Lucerne valley) and fighint your way thru town.
    The town of BB will be insane to get around. Best bet is park in BB city and ride to the finish.

17. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Ditto on that. My in-laws were down this weekend and brought the latest paper to me. It's going to be BIG! The lot is already starting to get finish line stuff constructed. The locals are already starting to figure out the best viewing spots. The brother in-law and I are heading up Thursday around noon and will enjoy the finish up Summit Blvd (and a little trout fishing on Friday morning:clap:)

18. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    I grew up in BB. So funny, When the (1) stop light would stop working, the Blvd. would back up for miles. You learn side streets fast.

19. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
  20. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    I am volunteering for stage 5, Visalia to Bakersfield, they told us they close the road 2-3 miles ahead and after the last car. It is basiclly a rolling closed road.