Amgen Tour of California Stage 6 Pasadena to Big Bear

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by vlad, Feb 11, 2010.

1. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    What a mother of a stage! Details at the official ToC link below, plus a detailed course map at the link at the bottom of the route description

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/Route/stages/stage6.html

12,000 feet of climbing! Have done portions of it but never the entire thing in one shot. Has anyone here done the entire route? Hope they clean and fix up ACH by then.

2. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    Im sure with the money that get thrown around with these events there will surely be a streat cleaning in the budget!!!

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I'm planning/hoping to follow the whole tour this year in my popup trailer.
    Trying to decide where to watch that stage from (and all the others)
    This one I think you'd only be able to see from one spot; jumping around will be too hard.

4. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Nice ride in the park, huh?!?!? :?:

Dang! I'm dyin' to see Stage 7 (Downtown LA TT) and the final Stage 8 (in my 'hood!), but they aren't posted yet, though Stages 1-6 are up.

- shud

5. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    We're heading up to the in-laws place near Snow Summit. My brother in-law and I talked about riding down to the Arctic Circle area and waiting with some beers.:beer:

Now that I see the race will take in the Fawnskin side of the lake, we might change our plans.

6. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I plan on going to watch that stage and get a ride in while I'm up there.

7. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    We need to put this day on the calendar and ride this stage. That looks like a lot of fun! I was hoping they would go up Azusa Canyon but this will do. Get an early start and coordinate it so we are in a cool remote area around the time the peloton should roll through. Seems one could figure out roughly were they will catch up, given ones average speed and start time against the pros start time and average speed.

8. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I'd have to start the day before and it would still be close.

9. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

atleast this gives the county a reason to fix angeles crest highway soon....

10. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    I've already got my spot picked out. I'm thinking of watching them come across the Arctic Circle and riding over to the finish line since they have to go all the way around the lake.

Either that or pull up a beer at Papa Jack's BBQ and watching them fly by at 40 mph on the final decent going into Running Springs/Arrowbear. The top of Rim Nordic is also a thought since you can watch them climbing to Lake View Point and going all the way across the Arctic Circle.

Hey Vlad - we can always do the Onyx Summit ride from the 247. It's only about 30 miles with about 6,500' - 7,000' of climbing :lol:.

11. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Rolling terrain over the last 1/2 of the course at over a mile up will make it tough for a climber to break away, or for a breakaway artist to recover properly after the inital surge...should make for a great race on TV...

But..........

Methinks an STR Ride and Beer tent is in order...or two or three scattered along the course...I can't think of a better reason to camp out overnight in the Mountains and drink beer over a few days. Start at a park-n-ride at the bottom and radonneur up to a viewing spot...I'd tow a BOB with a cooler...probably in good enough shape after the Breathless Agony.

Anybody got a BOB they wouldn't mind me towing?

12. Fewinhibitions

Will it be televised?

For me, since I am only a couple of miles away, the easiest places to watch would be their entry to the ACH, then go up Tujunga Ctyn to the AFH/ACH split, after they pass head back down the AFH to Upper Big Tujunga Cyn where it meets the ACH.

However, being at the finish would be prime!

13. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Stages 7 and 8 are finally up.

The TT (Stage 7) looks to be a mega-boring loop around Staples, the Coliseum and Disney Hall. They even made it a cuircuit!! :?: Bleccccch. I had such a GREAT idea (I swear!!) for a TT in the LA area and I just couldn't locate anyone who had a friend-of-a-friend who was involved, or might know who to contact at Amgen. Aw, well. It had a bitchen hill climb and great views and excellent shots for TV coverage. Too bad. Instead they pick some horseshit downtown loop. Ick. I'll still watch it online. :bang:

Stage 8 however is going to be AWESOME!!! 4 circuits around Westlake/Agoura/TO that includes four freakin' climbs up the Rock Store climb and down the Wall in Westlake (zooooooooom!!).

[youtube]GqRx44wr63Q[/youtube]

- shud

14. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Televised; kinda. It'll be on Versus - not sure if they are doing small or large broadcasts; but I think they'll go big. If you have DirectTv = no go. Usually a good live feed available on the web.
    As I've said, I plan on camping in my popup for the whole tour.
    Any good tips on where to camp near the TO stage?

shudder
    if you want to give your input on Stages - this may be someone to talk to
    redbike2001 on bikeforums.net He's the ATOC Course Director
    http://www.bikeforums.net/member.php?89292-redbike2001

15. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Hey thanks, Rumpled! I just joined over at bikeforums.net just so I can give redbike2001 a holler. Thank you.

Vs. have done a fairly good online daily thing over the past couple of years for the TDF. I think they might have done the same for the ATOC last year. It can be trying at times, but also kinda cool to stay on top of what's happening while at work.

- shud

16. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    shudder,
    Look at redbike's posts. He's only got about 20 or so and one of them is a very long post on how they set up the course. Lots of permitting and agencies to deal with. He's not there much; but has posted some info on the stages.
    There's also someone there is an on course marshall that has provided info. Forgot his name, event services or event management; maybe?

17. Fewinhibitions

Thannks for the info - yep, on Direct so no mo' Vs.

Will definitely check out the webcasts though!

18. 0nelove

0nelove New Member

lol at that video. The voice-overs voice makes it sound like a joke. "The greatest stage in US cycling history, ever." Haha, it might be true, but a little over dramatic. They need to throw in Eye of the Tiger somewhere.

Grandma has a cabin along stage 6's route in Big Bear...might have to hit that one up.

19. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I had feeling LA Live will be a part of the TT. The ToC is organized and owned by AEG. LA Live and the new Hotel is owned by AEG. They will, of course showcase their prime property....

20. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Last year's web coverage on the ToC website was trick...I remember being able to choose multiple camera streams, as well as real-time ride data from some of the riders, as well as some that were anonymous...kind of like what VS did on the TDF when they'd look in on one of the riders' heartrate, power, cadence, and speed. It also allowed real (or near real) time tracking on a google-earth style map.

I remember being disappointed that the Giro and Tdf didn't have the same coverage.

The final stage can be ridden a month in advance (its the day after the Mulhullond KOM roadie...would be a heck of a roadie weekend)...for a $125 donation that gets you some swag and a timing chip for your chosen distance. It would have been nice (but logistically impossible) to have the Mountain Stage the one to ride like they do at the Tdf...typically picking out the signature stage for the Grand Fondo (Ventoux stage last year...haven't heard which stage it is this year...probably the Pyrenees).