Adrenaline Bikes (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Waldo, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    My $.02...and a few cents extra.

Glad to see a mention of La Habra: I bought my first "real" mtb there, and they were pretty cool, being very patient with test rides and fitting, even though I was buying a fairly low-end model.

I've had nothing but unimpressive experiences at 3 of the Jax locations: HB, Fullerton, and Irvine. I usually end up walking out without buying anything, mostly due to poor service. I'd much rather go to Performance than Jax - at least if you find a former SuperGo employee who's stayed on, you stand a chance of getting someone at Performance who knows their stuff.

I've had a couple decent experiences with Rock'n'Road in Mission Viejo, buying a few small items so far. It's a pretty busy shop on weekends, but when they're not swamped they've been pretty friendly.

I guess I'm in the minority regarding The Path. I've shopped there are a few times, but haven't bought yet. They have great stuff and knowledgeable people, but I've sorta felt a vibe like I wasn't part of the club when I've been in there. Maybe that will change when I actually end up buying something there (?)

The Bike Company in Lake Forest strikes me similarly to Path. Awesome stuff and very knowledgeable guys there. I've found them a bit friendlier than Path, but they seem more in tune with racers than with average joes who just happen to ride 3-4x per week.

My best experiences so far have been at Adrenaline in Tustin. It's not a place to go to pick up a magazine or some gels, but I bought a fork there and they did a great price match with no hassles at all. And they really treated me right when I bought my wheels there. I'd ordered a rim/hub configuration they normally stocked but were out of. When the order was delayed 10 days after an initial 2-3 day estimate, they hand-built me a set, even upgrading the spokes, with no upcharge. (And for those complaining of broken spokes from other shops, I've joined the ranks of believers: There's no substitute for a good job of hand-building a wheel). I haven't found a question that stumped them yet, and they've rarely been at a loss to get the part I needed. The only negative is just that it's hard to move around in that tiny store!

Online, I've done well with PricePoint and Cambria. I've also been in the SLO location of CBO, and they were pretty cool. It's a good blend between 'serious' and mass-market stores. I've also ordered from Nashbar, and Universal. Both were fine, but Nashbar will spam you into the next dimension.

Is that every bike vendor in the Western Hemisphere yet? Can you tell I've enjoyed upgrading and building a couple of bikes?

:lol:

2. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    I've had good luck with a couple of OC shops. I bought my Transition Vagrant frame from Adrenaline. When there was a mixup on some parts in a Pig headset box from the factory, they took care of me by swaping me out to a sealed headset so I didn't have to make a return trip and could build my bike that day. Always good deals here and there and Gabe has been super friendly to both my brother and I, though its been a while since I've been in there.

Next up is Switchback. I had mentioned to my wife that they had some shorts I liked there. This past Christmas, when another family member went there looking for the shorts, they not only were helpful to someone that didn't really know what they were talking about, but they also helped with the purchase of a light and knocked 20% off without being prompted. This put the price below most stuff I could find online. I was very pleased to see this on the receipt becaues it made me feel like they had their customer's best interests at heart and could have easily charged list to my family member who wouldn't have known any better.

Last up is the Path. I know what Waldo is saying about feeling like you're the odd man out when you pop in there sometimes. I don't think it is intentional as Tani and crew have always been helpful from my first mountain bike frame purchase in early 05, to the mostly small purchases I've made there since then. I think the vibe is somewhat in our heads. You walk into a place where you know everyone rides and probably better than you, there is tons of badass equipment hanging everywhere and you can feel like you're a small fish in a big pond. Like I've said, they've always been helpful and attentve, and between the three shops, I have little to no need to shop anywhere else. The great thing is that they are all located within 15 minutes of each other, so if you happen to strike out on stock at one, you'll more than likely find what you need in a relatively short drive.

Chris

3. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    I dig adrenaline. The guys there are great. Tons of stuff everywhere. Never stops amazing me how many bikes they can squeeze into such a small shop. They've always had the small parts in stock when I've been in. I love walking in and hearing gabe yell from the far back "What's UP." Two thumbs up.

I've been into switchback once or twice. I've only purchased a few things from there, but overall, they've got a decent shop.

Again, I have to agree with the past two posters regarding the path. The first time I went in the shop, I was very overwhelmed. I was not greeted very kindly at all and I too felt as if I shouldn't have even stepped foot inside. 2.5 years later, I now think I'm a fairly knowledgeable guy when it comes to bikes. I've built up all my bikes in the past with exception to my first hard tail (of course credit has to be thrown TurneRob's way). Even still when I walk in, I don't feel welcome. This is not meant to bash at all, as they have a ton of stuff all over the place. Very knowledgeable guys. I guess this is more constructive criticism as I know a bunch post here often.

4. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    Adrenaline Bikes in Orange

Was driving by so decided to hit this shop for first time today for quick purchase. All they guys in shop seemed cool. Went "early" and wasn't crowded when i walked in. One guy helped me right away and i rapped for a few minutes with another who rung me up.

Price on my item was fair. Did not spend too much time on floor but looked like a decent stock of some nice rides including a few brands I haven't seen at other shops.

Not my usual LBS (the Path and they rock) but will certainly check these guys out again in future :clap:

5. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Huge props to Adrenaline Bikes

Just wanted to throw this out there:

Today I had some work done (headset swap) at Adrenaline bikes. Despite the fact that I called over there the day of, they (Neil and Rob) perfomed the work I needed done while I waited. Here are the reason why I am proud to call Adrenaline my bike shop of choice:

1. The work they did was out-standing. Neil made sure that the headset cups were seated properly. When the cups put up a little resistance going in he didn't automatically reach for the wooden block and mallet, checked to make sure everything was ok and used the headset press.

2. They (Neil and Rob) double checked their work to make sure that the bolts were tight and everything was installed correctly.

3. They were detail oriented. They made sure that the wheel was perfectly aligned to the bars. Rob asked me if I wanted the races swapped as well (both were King headsets) instead of just leaving them.

4. They don't mind hanging out and talking bikes if they aren't too busy. If they are too busy then they do what they gotta do

5. (most important) They are active in STR rides and the MTB community. And Adrenaline supports STR financially as well.

Finally for those of you who desprately want to know, The Woobie (aka Rob) report:

Looks like Woobie is settling in at Adrenaline. His mechanical skills are improving and while he doesn't have the quick and efficient moves of a master bike wrench, he does know what he is doing. He ain't the fastest mech out there but I'd rather see him do the job slow and correct than try to rush through it and mess it up. Speed will come. Best of all he is willing to listen both to the customer and to persons who have more experience, and he asks questions when in doubt.

Keep it up, Rob, youre doing good. And thanks to all of the Adrenaline guys, y'all run a helluva shop

6. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

they're not bad for a shop that doesn't carry 29er handlebars, stems, cranks, hubs, seat posts, saddles, brakes and pedals

7. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

:lol: ohh they're gonna let u have it now!! muhahahhaaaa:bang:

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I just wished they carried shoes and other body armor and suits. I went in there a couple weeks ago before my trip to Whistler, and nothin'! Neil and Rob...are you listening? :lol:

Like other shops, they said it could be ordered, but I don't know how all of you are, I never buy shoes or armor before buying (or at least not anymore). Jenson had a couple styles of body suits I tried on, and ended up with the TLD. I'm glad I tried it on, because I thought I'd like the Fox suit, and the TLD was so much more comfortable.

9. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Photies

Another great thing about Adrenaline: You can pay Gabe with beer!
    :beer:

10. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Hey Lee,
    I wish we had the room to hang armor, the shoes though are on the way.
    We have to pick our poison so to speak and hard goods won out....but the times they are a changing!

Thanks for the kind words Chris, that means alot in this business!

Willie, don't let the beer, I mean cat, out of the bag:beer:

11. carbonman

carbonman Captian of BIG RED

what's that?????
    Thats OK you can only put so much stuff in a shop that small. I remember when they used to be in the closet across the parking lot:lol:, Big improvement.

12. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Now let's see if this thread gets as much attention as the one where I dissed The Path. I'm thinking that it won't. :)

13. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I just laughed out loud, thanks!:lol:

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Chris, when did you get on the payroll? Tell them to pay you in cash only.

Naw, just kidding. OC is just a little to far for me to take my bike/s to, but I'll still get over there to give them a hard time or something.

15. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    Gabe rules! He has totally helped me out with my Bullit and my old Iron Horse when I had it... He is da man! I didn't know that I could pay him in beer?!?! I have to remember that! I live in Torrance and it's a LOOOOOONG way to their shop. It's worth the drive!

16. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Is she a keeper?

F#ck yeah, thanks to everyone.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Effin cops!

18. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Nice thread. I was in there today just for a measly tube. As always, the guys made me feel welcome, even though I'm an aging, out of shape Fred. In many years of surfing, I never had a local shop or board shaper I really bonded with well (though I'll drive 70 miles to have the good folks at Moonlight Glassing do the finish work). But after a year of dealing with Adrenaline, I walked out of there with a good feeling knowing that when I need gear at a fair price or tech help or repairs, they've got my back. It ain't much too look at, but Adrenaline is a solid shop!

But guys...when will the Adrenaline web site get more user-friendly? Maybe I'm missing something, but that is a tough site to browse for gear. It can even be tough to search out a specific item.

19. grandpa

grandpa swollen member

shop foreman, sheetmetal
    Yeah, I got a great deal on my frame there. All I had to do was eat 80 hot wings in 15 min.:lol:

20. 26'er Zen Master

26'er Zen Master S.F.B

Doggie dentals
    Home Page:
    Thank you to all of you for your comments. I really feel that since the addition of neil the shop has come around. But I have to say this we would be nothing without our customers and even though we get some creeps and wierdos when you guys come in it makes our day easier and way more enjoyable so get your butts in there more (this goes for everyone but Jose)