adjustable seatposts

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by blindman_22, Mar 14, 2011.

1. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    after yesterdays ride, i'm seriously looking to buy one. currently i'm looking at the ks models, but i had a question. i ride a small giant trance x. the seat tube only allows for so much insertion. if i get a 385mm post, can some of the post be cut off? i know the joplins allow for about 2" to be cut off. any lbs currently carrying any right now? i haven't seen them in any lbs i've been to lately.

2. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager
    Not sure about the other ones, but my Command Post can't be cut, I don't think. Are you looking at the HiLo and Gravity Dropper, too?

3. blindman_22

computer stuff
    i'm considering those as well. although the gd looks awful. i know i know.. function over form, but damn..

4. ARGAMA

ARGAMA Member

IT Manager
    Hey Tony,

I have a 2009 Giant Trance X and I also had the same concern when I was shopping for a dropping seat post. I ended up with the 3"/75mm version of the KS i950r with total length of 300mm. After I installed it and adjusted it, I still ended up with available space in my seat tube. I could've go all the way to the 385mm version but I have a medium frame so for you case it might not work. The KS seatpost or any dropping seat post is not light and the 385mm version weights 555g. You will probably need the 31.6mm version as you and I have the pretty much the same bike. Think about if you really need the 5" travel or you can do with 3" or 4" which they also offer. I am cool and happy with the 3" as I had used it to go down Mathis.

Anyway, get one but you don't mind the extra weight compare to a regular seatpost. It does add much more to the fun factor!

Cheers,

5. wppjeff

wppjeff 50/50 DH Racing

Chef, General Mgr for Grocery Store
    Home Page:
    I've got the command post and my only complaint is the lever. It's pretty finicky, but I hear replacing it with the joplin trigger is a good call. They are heavy and all that weight up high makes a difference, but having a bike like yours with an interrupted seat post it makes a huge difference. The command post can't be cut, so mine rides about and inch higher than I'd like it to on the down hills. I just use a regular post if I'm going to be shuttling.

6. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I've Been researching them for awhile and will probably buy a ks this week. The path has them but they are a little steep on price. Bike bling seems to have good prices on them

7. melster

melster Member

Software
    I have an XS size 2009 Giant Trance X0, with a 5" KS i900-r. I'm 5'3" with short legs, and the max I can insert it into the seat tube is to the 4.5" mark on the post. However, this is actually the perfect height for me, and gives me the full 5" of adjustable travel. I had a Fezzari 3" travel version, and I had to pull it up past the minimum insertion point by an inch just to get it to a comfortable height.

I guess what I'm saying is, get the 5" travel, 385mm length version. Oh, and the seat tube internal diameter is 30.9 mm. I've bought 3 adjustable seatposts, and every single one of them was 30.9. Please verify with your frame/bike vendor before you order a seatpost in the wrong diameter.

8. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

If indeed it's a 31.6, Chainlove has been putting up the 31.6 Joplin for cheap.

9. melster

melster Member

Software
  10. melster

melster Member

Software
  11. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

12. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Don't know where you're located ... but the path carries all the brands, (but they're not a Giant dealer) and could work with you on what would fit. You could also try Fullerton bikes - they're a giant dealer. I'm sure something out there will work for you.

If you think you need one...you do, I won't ride a bike without one - all of mine have them, and even have then on my 11 yrs old sons bikes (He's to short to get behind the seat makes it easier for him to ride).

13. ARGAMA

ARGAMA Member

IT Manager
    My bad. The diameter of the seat post for Giant Trance X is 30.9 for 2009. I should have verified it before I opened my mouth. Thanks for pointing this out Melster!

Cheers,

14. blindman_22

computer stuff
    yeah i already knew i had to get a 30.9. i'm just curious on being able to cut the 385mm down to about 350mm. if my measurements are right, 350mm fully inserted would place the seat right where i have it right now.

15. blindman_22

computer stuff
    did you have to do any modification for it to work?

16. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    I like my command post too except for the lever. I'm thinking about replacing the lever though with a KS one but for the price, I'll wait till the lever breaks. There is a shop in Irvine that sells it, but it's $60 just for the lever and cable. If I were to get another post, I would get the KS or Reverb.

17. blindman_22

computer stuff
    is the lever the only thing you don't like about your scrotum smasher?

18. Jeff Hurricane

Jeff Hurricane New Member

Hey Tony,
    Dont know how soon you are looking to purchase an adjustable hieght seatpost, but we (Hurricane Components) will be out soon with our version that is like none other on the market and yes it will fit any size frame.
    We are hoping to have finished working prototypes by the end of this month. We have done our research and as a matter of fact pretty much created the segment back in 2001, in which, unforunately we never did produce them for retail sale, but we had several prototypes, in which an un-named company pretty much copied and is the market leader today....but I dont have any hard feelings, I sold HC shortly after, due to a family crisis. I have been thinking and making protypes since 2003 and I believe we will have a winner.
    Our post, called the "Elevator Shaft" will achieve what the other manufactures post do, but with virtally no maintenance reqiiured, any maintenance can be performed by the user. We will be making them in 27.2, 30.9 and 31.6 with adjustable heights of up to 5'.
    Hopefully will will make it up to Sea Otter with these and other parts and I will have it posted as soon as I can.

19. melster

melster Member

Software
    None whatsoever.

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

How much seat post do you have exposed to have saddle at right height? That could be a factor in your choice, if you dont have 5" of exposed post you don't want a 5" adjustable seat post. On your current post what the maximum insertion into the seat tube?