Adjustable Seatpost Longterm Durability Results

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Gasper, Aug 22, 2011.

1. dg designs

dg designs Member

Motrgage Banking Cap Markets
    Anyone know when the new KS is coming out? Really like the clean look of the fixed cable.

2. Rakuman

Rakuman Member

Artist
    My command post failed after 4 weeks, it started dropping for no reason about 20 times on my last ride, I think I will get it fixed and sell it ..only dropped it once in 10 rides Ive been hanging my ass off my seat for 25 years why stop now.

3. el cap

el cap Active Member

I tried most of them and I like the KS for the length of drop (Adjustable up to 150mm), progressive future improvements, and quick customer service (Foothill Ranch, CA). However, the Gravity Dropper has been the most reliable over time, but limited on the drop settings.

For me: KS 1st (as mentioned above), GD 2nd (very reliable and easy to work on, but limited to settings and the ugly boot), CP 3rd (nice feel, but I did not care for the large remote lever), Reverb 4th (needs too many bleeds & the remote lever is way to far to reach using Shimano shifters/brakes), Joplin 5th (1st editions are junk, but getting better with the Joplin 4... just hear too many problems with CB posts)

I tried the X-Fusion Hilo and it felt very heavy in weight compared to all the other adjustable posts on the market.

I also bought the 9" Rase Black Mamba post last summer, but returned that right away because it felt too clunky fully extended. It did have the best remote lever in the business and the longest drop.

4. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    Probably not at the right tension, there is a tension knob there you know?

"dropping for no reason about twenty times"

5. el cap

el cap Active Member

I wonder when the Fox DOSS post will be available.

6. Rakuman

Rakuman Member

Artist
    There is no tension adjustment on the command post other than the release cable if it was overly tight it could cause it to pull the release. in my case it is slack as to specs. I disconnected the cable to try and finish my ride in case for some reason it was the cable. it continued to drop,,, its something internal causing it to release.

7. kyle M

kyle M Dirty Drunx

drinking and riding
    dont make this mistake

8. Gasper

Gasper New Member

Two weeks into the repair cycle and I've finally received a response from service. I'll post up the results.

9. freewheeler

freewheeler Looking for new trails

i have a KSi7r. Bought it in April and just sent it in to KS for repair. It would sag about 1/2 inch in the seat up position, then when I dropped the seat, it would tend to rise up about an inch. I am disappointed to have had problems so soon with my KS. Hopefully, it'll be repaired quickly and under warranty.

10. GETAWAY

GETAWAY New Member

Ks no other 150mm!!!

11. TreeTopMike

TreeTopMike New Member

...6 mos. On ks supernatural that went bad on the first ride. Great customer service got it up and running a week later. It has been intermittently sticky at times but I would consider it trustworthy. It should be noted that I'm a power-user and probably use it more than I shift gears.

12. Gasper

Gasper New Member

KS Service update...the post has been in their hands for over 4 weeks and still has not been repaired. Not happy.

13. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    1+ years on a gd for me, the mechanical simplicity of the design is nice. I'll wait a couple more years for the hydro designs to solve the bleeding and seals

14. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    That's nuts!! Kay told me that he wouldn't let you drop the post off at the office even though you were right in front of it but had to send it to the PO Box. That would be hilarious if it wasn't so damn frustrating.

15. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Had it rebuilt by Specialized through the Path for a nominal fee. Quick service and worked like new. Had a bad fall, tweaked the cable and now it's back to being a bit unreliable again. I think the cable was like $40. Thinking about just getting a new version of it. Seems like Specialized is one of the most reliable ones. One of my riding buddies has a KS with a lever (no remote); it's been bulletproof. The other has a Gravity Dropper, which has had some issues. Specialized & The Path's service has been top notch, so I'm thinking i"ll stick with them.

16. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    17 months on a ks i900r and approximately 3000 miles, still going strong . Never rebuilt. Guess I got a good one.

17. Gasper

Gasper New Member

While I'm still waiting for seatpost to come back I would like to thank Tani from the Path for helping a brother out in the interim. There's a reason why this shop is so successful and popular.

18. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I need a dropper for my new bike, have any of the posts become more reliable? I had a rockshox reverb and my experience with it ended up being a nightmare. Have they improved?

19. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    Some people whine about how fugly the gravity dropper is which never occurred to me, but my manual gravity dropper on the pitch aint had a single issue for over two years. Ride about four times a week too.

Anyways, congratulations on the great purchase of the nomad at a great shop. I was wondering where you went to aside from the collar bone incident.

See ya around, Steve

20. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Thanks steve hopefully we catch each other on the trails sometime.....i heard gravity dropper had something in,the works with better cable mounting options.....anyone heard anything?