abnerbikes on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by raynmaker1005, Aug 12, 2009.

1. raynmaker1005

raynmaker1005 New Member

recent grad
  2. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    I'll say you will never know until you go see him in person. I would be a bit wary about leaving my bike with someone off craigslist.....

I think it is possible that he could be legit. With the economy the way it is I'm sure there are lots of qualified people working outside normal employment.

3. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    IDK, but TV bikes Rocks!!

Yeah, give Devin (Strobelite) a Holler. He is legit and the shop is right on Broadway.

4. RidingDirty

RidingDirty New Member

I had a "cheap" bike serviced by him. It was a tune-up as described in his ad, plus a cassette swap. I had to leave my bike for about a day at his place. The F and R derailleur adjustments were pretty good, headset adjustment a bit iffy, rear V-brake good, but front BB5 was not adjusted properly. THe front wheel could hardly turn because the pads were squeezing the rotor. He said something about break-in period, but I knew what it was. I ended up adjusting the BB5 myself, as I could have done it myself to begin with. Since brake adjustment was part of the price, I thought why not. Overall, I'd say the tune-up is okay but still a very good deal. I only really needed the derailleurs adjusted and the cassette swapped. The thing that impressed me the most was the cleaning or waxing the bike. Thatw as the first thing I noticed. Bike looked new despite it being an old bike. Tires were even shined. I was going to tell him to skip the washing part as I wasn't sure how it would be washed.

I wouldn't bring in one of my nicer bikes to him, but that's just me. I just don't feel comfortable leaving an $$$ bike at a stranger's home. The guy is pretty nice and seems honest. Bring in a cheap bike to have it serviced to see if you think he's qualified.

5. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Territory Marketing Manager
    I emailed him once and never got a response so I figured, not legit FWIW

6. RidingDirty

RidingDirty New Member

First time I e-mailed him I didn't get a response . When I e-mailed him again using another e-mail addy he responded pretty quickly. He seems legit, but keep in mind the service is done at his private residence. I think he had his teenage son help him too because when I brought my bike over he told him what needed to be done. Btw, I should add that Abner is pretty easy to talk to. He did recommend Hayes brakes when it comes to hydros...I dunno.