A tale of two bike shops

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by SAR_boats, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Nope, it's on Chapman east of the 55 in Orange.

2. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Why are you looking at my butt? :lol:

3. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

BOATS- Out of respect for my "one-armed" Homie, I promise not to visit the bike shop in question for a period of 30 days!

I was wondering- If you had dealt with a different person at "The Shop", is it possible the outcome may have been different? The reason I ask, there is a guy who has worked there for some time.... He is pretty famous for his "I don't care" ATTITUDE!!! At first, I would say to myself, "is this a$^&%* serious?" Now- I just avoid the guy completely.

Glad you found a shop you like.
    The crew at Adrenaline usually treat me right.

4. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Not woobie any more?

We can't call him woobie any more, now we call him Wimpy a-la the popeye cartoon " I will gladley pay you on payday for bike parts today". That aside he is learning to be a master mech but is still a young grasshopper.

Your Hero
    Gabriel Zink

Attached Files:

5. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Sorry to hear about the bad experience, Chris. Glad you got it rectified, and found a great new lbs to boot--the folks at Switchback are definitely top notch.

As for that other shop, I was bummed to hear you were treated that way. I've always found them helpful and informative when asked, and never gotten the "attitude" others have spoken of in the past.

Granted, the only wrenching I've had done there was an urgent headset replacement, but it had to be, and was, done as I waited. They were quite busy, as I recall, but squeezed me in when I explained the situation (AZ Spring Fling looming). Good days and bad days, it seems. As they lost a good customer in you due to a serious lapse in service, so they gained one in me for going above and beyond.

Was just there today, actually, and a "saucy" little number helped me with my purchase. Even gave me the STR discount, which I didn't know existed 'til then.

Again, glad all worked out in the end for you, SCAR--just took a longer path to get there.

6. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
    As an Auto Tech., this situation relates exactly to what we do on cars. Its basically the same deal except we wrench on cars. Re-truing should be part of the building labor. If it wasn't, they should have told you in the beginning that bringing your own parts carrys no labor warranty. But then as a good deed, they should just put out the 10-15 minutes to re-true it. How hard can it be. Just tell the customer to leave the wheels there and came back later. True it when business is not busy. I guess their 15 minutes is worth losing a customer especially the one that just dropped 1G. Sometimes I fix cars for free if it don't take too much of my time. Sometimes you have to give to gain. There are times where you have to charge, but in this case, it should have been on the house. Good thing I put the grease on my ride. By the way, whats the shops name. I just wanna know when I hit them up for anything. Incycle gives STR discounts too, If you deal with the right person.

7. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    So I guess your path to Switchback was one of learning?

8. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    yes chris, these turds shood have stood behind there werk, but they're also liable if the older wheels broke and you'd gotten hurted. i've told you about how the lawyers are going into the pit with the pit bulls and rottwielers? mmmmnnnn? hungry dogs gotta eat....oh and I will not go to that shop anym...never mind.

9. aukmal

aukmal New Member

Interesting comment...

Interesting off-the-cuff comment about "...too corporate and more concerned about cash than service..." If you knew anything about most quality local bike shops, being too corporate and more concerned about cash than service is one of the farthest things from these guys minds...both the unamed bike shop and Switchback fall into this category. I know the owners of both shops and have had discussions as such with both...you obviously haven't thought through your comment very well.

I also know there's a great deal of respect between both bike shops, both offer great service and prices, and BOTH go way above and beyond the call of duty to serve the individual cyclist and give back to the cycling community. Once again, your comment about being concerned about the almighty dollar is obviously uninformed and reveals your ignorance.

As far as Switchback offering free retensioning on used rims and hubs...great. They are a great shop and are great people too. I suspect that essentially offering warranty / free service on used gear is probably the exception than the rule...although I could be mistaken on this. With that said, I've seen, and experienced the unamed bike shop providing exceptional service that wouldn't otherwise be expected from your standard retail outlet. Oh yeah, they're a great shop and are a solid crew too.

If you've got a beef with a specific person or shop, you'd probably be better served working things out with the individual or shop owner...although I suspect it's nice to get your ego stroked and self-esteem propped up by laying out a one sided story that begs for support on a forum where semi-anonymity often leads to bigger and bolder statements...

Auk

10. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    My comment about "too corporate" was speculation. Hence why I said "perhaps". I don't know why the shop and its representatives made the decisions they did, so all I can do is speculate. But I do know that all of those shiny anodized parts they have in stock aren't free, so at some point they must be concerned with the bottom line. So, yes my comment was very well thought out.

I didn't make the commet with the phrase "the almighty dollar" that was Ghixon. Thereby revealing your ignorance

I tried to work things out with the shop. How many accomodations do I have to make to be a customer of a bike shop?

And now the fun begins...

If I was interested in hiding behind anonimity I would have posted this on a more well travelled forum. My only purpose in posting this was to keep the MTB community that I belong to informed so that they as bike shop customers know what they may be getting into in their business transactions.
    I purposely did not make this personal between myself and anyone who works there, and I tried to explain things as objectively as I could from my point of view.
    I hide behind no veil of anonimity. I go on rides with this group and what I write in these forums I stand behind in person. I would have no problems going to the shop and speaking my point of view to anyone there. However the time and effort required to do, when measured by the benefit, make driving there and speaking my mind to defensive ears less than worth it.
    As for my ego and self-esteem...I have been faced with some of lifes more challenging situations and decisions where making the right choice simply means survival. I have saved several lives, taken a few, and seen half the world. I have led and trained men and women from all walks of life. And I have looked death in the face several times and never flinched. And while some of these experiences make it difficult to sleep at times, they have built an ironclad self-esteem and sense of pride...

I don't need to post anything on this forum to boost my ego. So go f*ck yourself.

11. Winger

Winger Member

Auk, did you miss the part where he tried to work it out with the bike shop? They didn't respond to his needs so he respecfully slammed them in a forum WITHOUT naming them. I would have named the thread "____ SUCKS".

I would think that the shop would be able to quickly evaluate used parts before working with them. How difficult is it to put the rim on a flat surface & see if it flattens out? The bike store could have declined the business, and after selling $1000 worth of goods & services they better be standing by their work.

And Honestly, how much damage can a 1 armed temporary roadie do to a wheel? I've put my bike through nearly 2000 dirt miles & only have a minor wobble. If your new wheels become untrue on the first ride then the shop better be retensioning for free.

I haven't bought much from Switchback, but every time I go in there I feel like I'm at home. When I went in to register for The Traverse, the owner even knew my name. I want to give them my business.

12. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Like he said, nothing anonymous about chris because he posted this online. He might as well have emailed 100 of his closest friends. A lot of us see him on a weekly basis.

just a reminder - keep the discussion civil, porfavor

13. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Yea its a forum and you should be able to voice your views and experiences. I have seen people post things on bike shops for the good service and prices and for the bad service and prices. I think SAR's post was very respectful towards the shop.

14. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

yeah, what he said.

I will say sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm friends with Tim over at Switchback. But I bet there is someone out there that has a beef with them too. (not me, I beat the hell out of wheels he built)
    You know the saying, happy customers might tell one person, unhappy customers will tell everyone.

That "other" shop has always been fair to me. And most of all they always seem to have what I'm looking for on the shelf in stock.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  15. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

It appears that Aukmal is simply trolling. I wouldn't worry about what he has to say.

It's safe to say that most of us on this message board know who Chris (that's SAR_boats to you Aukmal) is. Since this forum is a relatively small community, his comments were merely spoken among friends. Who are you, anyway?

Although the experiences of others may be different than Chris', it's quite obvious that his experiences were real, and I'm confident that he handled them in a professional manner. It's quite understandable that he would move on to another shop. And again, it's understandable why he would share his story and frustrations with us.

Although some would consider Chris' comments as something negative to the first shop, just the opposite can be true. As a business, your best customers are the ones who let you know what you're doing wrong. The worst ones are the ones who silently leave, leaving the business without an idea why they don't have customers. Understanding the sensitivity of that shop, I'm sure they've seen this, and I'm reasonably sure it has been discussed amongst the staff to prevent this situation from coming up again. Indirectly, I'm sure they can thank Chris for his feedback.

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I think the "other" shop has PLENTY of good reviews! I know I've given about 4 online and plenty more in person. I'm actually wearing the shirt I won as swag from Dville today at work. It's a size too small, but I didn't want to give it up cause I dig representing biking and good shops.

We're on the other side of the Santa Ana mountains, so unfortunately don't get to check out all the killer shops you guys have in OC. None of the shops here (and there 4-5 within a 20 mile range) stock much at all, and it's a pain to order through them. I have ordered more through the other shop in the past 2 months than I've purchased locally probably all year. Just how it works out.

We have decent shops, but just not the options or stock that is found in OC.

FWIW, I think SAR's post was well thought-out. It wasn't rude or angry or pointing fingers. Just an experience he had.

Love the bike you ride!! :bang:

17. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    seems like alot of emotion here. worst part is all the shops and most all individuals involved above are decent folks. I have been a customer of all the shops above, know many of the individuals personally or know of them through others. Imagine the shop at hand may want to post up there thoughts here as they have done on other boards.

18. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Aukmal- I may not agree with you.... Nonetheless, I commend you for "standing up for your people."

To everyone else who posted, I must also commend you. All too often, many of us are guilty of hiding behind our computer screens. It is good to see (in this instance) a few of us stopped hiding. I AM MOST CERTAIN- the end result of this discussion will be positive for the "SHOP" in question!

One more thing... I happen to be a customer of "The Shop" in question. As is Lee.... as are a few other members who have posted. Sometimes, we bump into eachother while at "The Shop." The responses are not written out of spite or jealousy- they are for the benefit all of us!

I hope our words do not fall on deaf ears!

19. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

Auk wasn't trolling. He's a good guy and friend of mine.

He is a long time customer who was simply trying to defend his favorite shop's honor.

Personally I think this thread is good feedback for both shops. I have heard other experiences that have tilted the boat the other direction. I'm sure both shops do their best to make everyone happy.

20. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    perhaps it was a little too well thought out. for me the "story" was a bit on the drama queen side.. just my opinion of course. i personally didn't read through the whole original post at first cuz that was the feeling that i got. The bottom line is it seemed like a review of 2 bike shops, should have just laid out the facts without the drama IMO.
    [​IMG]

none-the-less.... sorry to hear about your bad experience with the shop... I've only had 1 really bad experience with them at it was regarding my RS Totem, but I found out that it was only because of the dude that was initially "helping" me out but overall they've earned my busine$$

-Rodel