45 min el-p again

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by strobelite, Apr 1, 2008.

1. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    once again, meet at jpl, pack in the burb, if no mo room, my girl will take you up to get your car while cy and i watch the bikes so you can pick up your rides.

dont be a bunch of girls! (unless you are a female)
    come and do a hella fun ride!

2. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Why don't you just ride up from JPL to Brown Mtn Saddle, then drop in to El P? That's the bunny slope climb for beginners, anyone can do it. You don't even have to have stones for that climb, and it will save your gas bill on that monster 'burbs sucking sounds.

3. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    not enough time on sundays. re-landscaping my soon to be father in laws yard, building a new deck, and re-painting the house with prep and external repairs.
    sunday is my only "day off" but really i only have 1 1/2 hours to ride, and it takes me an hour to climb my 40 lb beast.

4. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Devin if you want to drive al the way to my house to pick me up i'll help you build the deck and paint :wave:
    Just kidding..
    well i would, but my dad wouldnt let me ride probably

5. 1080P

1080P Banned

That excuse won't fly with the OTBMBC... BTW, I'm a general contractor, there's no way you are doing all of that this weekend around the house. Start pedaling and build the legs to move that beast up what you ride down. We have guys in our club that ride UP El Prieto, and clean most of it. It's mind over matter, with some practice, it will happen.

5 months ago, I was pedalling my fat ass which weighed another 40 more pounds then than it does now, plus the weight of my bike at 34.5 pounds. I'm almost 50 years old. If you want, I'll show you how it's done so you can do it yourself.

6. rjrbignell

rjrbignell owed a living

bike shop employee / independant contractor
    What if we don't WANT to pedal up? :?:

7. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    just so you know, i have parts of the whole project that i do just to keep me from getting mad at any specific part of my project.

2 hours dedicated to each part of the project means i will have everything done by my wedding- not to mention spending time with my fiance.

i dont know if you are, but it feels to me that you are calling me out-I AM NOT A CONTRACTOR, I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING. i manage my time, and this ride is the only way at this time i can do this.

i also just got approved for my loan to get my house. its a total remodel before we can move in, so i will keep having fun with my shuttle.:)

1080, i didnt mean for this to feel like an attack, but you hit me in a soft spot, as this is all the time i have for mtb right now.:wave:

i will be up there grinding my way to the top once i have the time to ride to the trail head, do the ride and come home all by bike.

8. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

hey, to each it's own. if you want to shuttle or climb, that is your right. 1080 is not calling anyone out. it's his way of encouraging & motivating. don't take it the wrong way.

I guess the only thing about this shuttle that confuses me is how much time are you really saving, if you factor in the whole process (loading, unloading, driving, car retrieve, etc)? I would dare to bet, it's no more then 10-15 minutes. Saying that, do whatever makes you happy & ride responsibly.

9. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    i value your opinion, but i need the energy after working 6 days (not all paid) to do the projects i have put upon myself. it just felt like i was being called out by some one whos never seen me face to face.

i understand now that motivation may have been the motive, but the wording seemed to be more of an insult than a push. thats why i (hopefully) explained my reaction. i am not a member of otbmtb or whatever it is, so i dont appreciate having someone saying that another club wouldnt take it. i think that it is someone trying to show how much better they think they are than me. i didnt join this forum for that-it was because my friend said it was a cool spot where there were no mtbr type a$$es.

10. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    ps, wanna sprint to the end of the block on 20" bikes with a 44-16?

now im calling you out!:lol:

if you cant tell im not holding a grudge, your a girl who doesnt live for bikes!:wave:

11. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    sooooo........ its just me and cy again..........

12. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I'm back in town from next Tuesday on and I'm on vacation. I'll do this with you guys anytime you want that week. I can carry two bikes on the rack and one inside.

Have fun on this one.

Mott

13. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    every sunday as noted- if not, talk to cy and see if hes up to it.

14. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    1080p, why are you being a girl?

you talk and i talk, but you dont try yo defend your point?

15. 1080P

1080P Banned

Pffffft... I was out earning my vertical and riding yesterday, instead of sitting in front of the 1080P with my WII and 360Box. Try ripping 3600 vertical feet in a day some time, one solo, one with the OTBMBC club, 2 rides, one day. On a 34.5 pound All Mountain bike.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5305230
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5307498

Pain is weakness leaving your body! :wave:

Basically, I see it like this: shuttling or humping a 40 pound bike anywhere is like sleeping with a fat chick... it's fun, but you don't wanna tell your buddies about it or be seen doing it. :beer: The ride up to El Prieto is a bunny slope.... Period. Allison could no doubt do laps up Brown and down El P, and she is a lady!

A piece of advice on time management... Start one portion of a job and finish it, don't stop until you are at a logical stopping point, not a convenient one by the clock. Your setup and shutdown time is non productive, not really producing anything every time you drag tools out and put them away. That alone should allow you more riding time.

You'll never appreciate how sweet single track is until you earn your vertical with your own pedal power... It's fundamental, it's the reward for your effort. Sounds crazy, but it's a sense of pride when you do it that way. I spent the first month of ownership with my Bionicon Edison shuttling Mammoth while working construction up there... never again... way better to earn it.

You'd think folks would be jumping on your shuttle, yet... where are the peeps? Is it a sign? Try doing a Brown -El P ride post where you climb from JPL and see what your response is with ridership.

16. rjrbignell

rjrbignell owed a living

#-o:lol: You're confused. Wearing lycra and bibs are what you don't want to be seen doing not riding a 40 pound bike while full faced and padded.

17. 1080P

1080P Banned

Are those Maxi Pads or ? Sounds girlie to me?

18. EMrider

EMrider New Member

As long as you follow the law and rules of the trail, however you choose to ride is just fine with me. And as someone with a busy job and lots of family responsibility, I am VERY sympathetic to time constrained riders.

But what I don't understand is exactly HOW does one shuttle El Prieto? Maybe I've misunderstood your plan, but I have no clue how this can be done. My perference is to climb to the Brown saddle, but I am curious.

Thx
    R

19. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Thats not right. You cant compare anyone to Allison. She's freaking crazy. Hey dude, I bet you Allison could have beat you on those rides esterday, and shes a girl! But seriously, you cant compare anyone to Allison, and the fact she is a lady shouldnt matter. :?:

Im not going to argue this one. However, not all people enjoy riding uphill. Its an acquired taste. Just because you can climp up it and ride down, doesnt mean everyone can. Your one Bad@ss congrats. The thing that really bugs me, is your spiel on time managment. Devin is perfectly aware of how he does thing, and he does have time managment, obviously, if he planned this ride, and allowed himself an hour and a half to ride. Just because he decides to start a job, and finish and clean all his mess up, dont tell him he should be leaving stuff out. Im not sure, but to me it sounds liike your bagging on him because he likes to complete something. So your telling me if you were to build a bike, tou would put the wheels, handlebars etc on the bike, then when your six pack is done, and you dont have a beer left over to put the brakes on and set them up, your going to call it a "convenient" time to stop, and ride? :?:

This forum is for a community of people that like to ride bikes, wether they pedal up and down the mountain, or shuttle up and ride down. So why cant we all get along?

WTH :?:
    that may have been a joke, but you could have at leat put a :lol: after. Without it, it sounds kinda rude :?:

20. rjrbignell

rjrbignell owed a living

I dont know the specifics, but we ride up higher than el Preito taking a nice flowy trail to some camp site then ride the fire road about mile and a half to el prieto.

no, it's the protection I have around my midsection from not EARNING my dh