3rd weekend biking alone and I'm like... wtf?

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Bonsainut, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Bonsainut

Bonsainut Was ich nicht weiß...

Ok so here's the deal. Looking for one or more biking partners for companionship and/or motivation. It is really HARD to find people who are into the same trails and have the same level of fitness and biking personality. I was first up and first down Harding TT this AM, and am lonely :) I am also 51... used to run a lot, but bike more often now because it is kinder on the knees.

I like to bike once or twice during the week and I run once per week (5 miles only). I like to do bigger rides on Sunday mornings. I can tag the peak, or do a Holy Jim / Trabuco loop, or do the big Trabuco / Harding / Peak / HJ circle. I normally like to have a goal of a big ride, and then do two or three weekends preparing for it. I am a cross-country rider (feel the burn) versus a downhill adrenaline junkie, but can mix it up if necessary. I find that without the companionship I bike less often, and my fitness starts to slip, etc.

I am posting this in "Trailhead" because if you are interested in exploring Cleveland National Forest, I'm your guy. I am not fast, but tenacious :)

2. evdog

evdog Member

I've met all my riding friends on Internet forums maybe you should try that

3. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Hope you find a few guys to ride with, i had troubles my self from time to time.. 90+ percent of my rides were solo.

I think Bonsai open this thread for that particular reason = )

4. Bonsainut

I'd slap you, but then I wouldn't make any new friends :)

That's what I'm TRYING to do you knucklehead! :)

5. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

It's not you, it's the weather...

Months of prime conditions are approaching, so I'm sure willing victims will emerge. Local shop rides to fill in gaps? You're welcome to ride with us or me. I'll be hitting the circuits per normal once the weather breaks.

6. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    This right here was funny!:lol:

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Lost me at "first one up and then down Harding..." There are lots of hard core XC peeps on this thread, or there used to be. I am not one of them. You'll find people with similar trail and fitness interests, I am sure.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Personally, I like riding by myself.

Several reasons for it:

1. I ride when I want to ride...no trying to coordinate with multiple people to make a ride happen.
    2. I ride where I want to ride...again, no riding somewhere I don't really want to ride, because that is where the group is going.
    3. I can ride longer or shorter....I don't have to worry about anybody else's schedule.
    4. I can alter the route without having to take a vote.

I do have riding friends and ride in the group...but I won't hesitate to go out solo.

Also don't have any trouble motivating myself to ride. Need motivation? Set a goal....it will keep you motivated. For example set a weekly mileage goal.

Companionship....riding solo, I meet lots of people out on the trails. I will talk to just about anyone out on a ride. Just gotta put yourself out there.

9. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    Well, there's always STRAVA. Hahahaha... you're sort of riding with a ghost of yourself.

10. strobe

strobe resident noob

I'm usually first to the trailhead and last back. But, i bike alone 95% of the time. I'm challenged to find ppl who ride random night or early morning rides. Feel like riding a slow 2hr up HTT on a Monday night, i'm your guy. Skyline, B*, Sycamore... same thing. I'm at that fitness between beginning and intermediate. That makes it even harder to ride with others. Too fast for the first timers and too slow for anyone who rides twice a week. Hope you find a pedal pal.

11. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    How I love HTT - great doo doo memories....

I had a great time riding w you last time we did HTT together...just brush your teeth and people will want to ride w you. ;) I'm in Palm Desert now or I'd ride w you for sure!!

12. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

I usually am riding alone and......I prefer to. When I want to ride with a group, I'll ride a little, then, meet up with the Sunday Floopers. Hey Rox, you moved down to the desert? I grew up down there.....Well, the little bit of growing that I did.

13. Bonsainut

Yeah, well the challenge is that I have burned through three riding partners - who have all moved away, or gotten busy with real life stuff, or just don't ride as often any more. Hoping that there might be some folks out there in similar straits...

And yeah, there are times when I like to hit the trails solo. But the reality is that there are some trails, and some places, where it isn't the best idea to be alone. Strength in numbers :) Any time I descend Trabuco solo there is always that little bug in the back of my mind saying - if you go off HERE, how many days would it be before someone found you? :)

14. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Probably until the buzzards start circling.

I can almost always find folks to ride with but I hang with the stop and smelling the flowers crew. No one is ever racing well maybe to get ahead of the group to take a picture. Many stops to do safety checks on the bikes.

15. Andy

Andy Member

I hear ya bro...

16. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Yeah, I needed a change of scenery and I've always been fond of the desert. I'll be getting to know the local trails as well as Idyllwild, so if any of you peeps want to ride out here w me send me a PM and we'll go!!

How's your basket Dave? That was/is classic.......

17. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Right now I'm getting the "desert riding experience" just from stepping out the front door and pedaling up the hill to the end of the street. Idyllwild has MUCH more appeal this time of year. Hit me up when the temperatures drop below the triple-digits.

18. Bonsainut

I started up Harding on Sunday and it was dark when I left the lot. Dark as in - could not see what my front tire was rolling over. It still felt like a furnace, though. Managed to get above 3000 feet before 7AM at which point the temps were only "warm".

The last three weekends I have been sharing the trail with an elite cross-country RUNNER who I have seen every Sunday on Harding. This Sunday he passed me as I was climbing just past the springs, then I saw him again as he was heading back down just below 4 corners. I stopped for a drink at 4 corners and then took off to chase him down. I finally caught up to him way down at the picnic table by the first switchback. He was hauling. I can't even imagine running 18 miles in the mountains, let alone 18 miles in that heat!

Was just in Idyllwild two weeks ago. It was a beautiful 75 degrees, clear and sunny. We dropped out of the mountains on our way out through Hemet and the temp soared to 95 in about ten minutes of driving.

19. shawndoh

shawndoh New Member

Ok, I'll bite- where both in Laguna Hills. What is your average availability?

20. wheeler

wheeler Member

Yea me too....that is my kind of riding and also North of 50 :)