2x10 Conversion - Chainline Help/Questions

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Bullseye, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I just converted my Niner Jet 9 Carbon from 3x10 to 2x10.
    The old crank was an OEM 'Deore' 3x10.
    The new crank is a Race Face Turbine 2x10 (26/38 (RF Chainline Spec says 48.5 - 50.5)

I initially installed the Race Face crank and included Race Face 'EXI' BB into the OEM Niner PF30 adapter. Following the RF instructions, placed one spacer on the drive side.

The chainline was horrible... way too far to the outside. I disassembled and moved the 'cup spacer' to the non-drive side... much better, shifts and behaves OK, but it's still not quite right and can get a little noisier than it should. You can see that the chainline is still out just a little.

The instructions allude to the ability to also remove "spindle spacer seals", I missed that during the assembly process. Perhaps this is where I need to go next???
    "If a non-stock chainline is desired (as determined in step #4), install or remove spacer
    seal(s) as required."

Any tips to getting that perfect chainline? Is the answer in the 'spindle spacers'? Is it worthwhile to look for a different crank with a little shorter chainline? Race Face makes the same crank in a BCD 64/104 version that indicates a 46-48 chainline. (I would do this swap in a heart-beat but I really like the 26 small and that crank only comes in 24 small)

Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

2. bing!

bing! Active Member

The RF manual says two 1mm spacers on the none drive side to achieve 48.5mm

chainline1.JPG

After following this, I would still check with a straight rule, measuring the distance of the center of the seat tube to a tooth on the large chainring if indeed it's at 48.5. If not, I would compensate by moving spacers around.

Oh, and install the crank correctly using all spring washers and spacers as than will affect the chainline, not to mention, allow the crank to operate properly.

3. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Thanks Bing.
    When I read the instructions at install, I stopped at the "Cup Washers". That's what I get for only quickly skimming through the instructions.
    I'll pull it apart and move the 'spindle seal spacers' to the nds, that should get it where it needs to be.

4. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Follow up... Moved the spindle spacers to the NDS and now I have a perfect chainline.

5. bing!

bing! Active Member

The manual is your friend :) Glad to hear you worked it out.