2wheel-Lee's Adventure in Frame Building

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by 2wheel_lee, Feb 15, 2009.

1. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

UPDATE: I will no longer be updating this on STR. If you're one of my friends, track or inquire about my progress on Facebook.

So I want to build a bicycle frame. This thread will document my adventures in frame building - both good and bad. I'll try to document the stuff I use in my learning as well as my progress. I'm sure this thread will go for long periods of time without updates, but such as life. I welcome all related thoughts, suggestions, and contributions.

THE DREAM:
    Ever since I was a teenage working in a bike shop, I've always had an interest in building my own bicycle frame (sound familiar Brandon?). However, as things so often go, I never got around to it.

Since I somewhat recently finished remodeling my condo, I don't have much of a hobby other than building, rebuilding, and maintaining my bikes (very time consuming). Although I have a lot of other things going on in my life (such as getting married in June), I still need a hobby to think about - for my own mental health, I always need something to keep my mind occupied. Doesn't everyone need something to keep them awake at nights? #-o

I've been researching the idea of frame building for about 6 months. What started the idea again was that I was considering having a custom frame built to replace my Surly 1x1. I started thinking that a good custom frame is about $1500+. Then I started thinking of the addage "You can give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. Or you can teach the man to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime." I want to teach myself to fish.

Instead of spending $1500 on a single frame, I'll take the money and invest it into tools and equipment. In other words, realistically, I'll likely spend $5,000+ over the next few years so I can have my one $1500 frame. #-oHobbies can be expensive - people spend that much and more on R/C cars/planes/boats/helicopters.

EQUIPMENT:
    Since I plan on brazing my first frames, I need a torch. Although I could probably get away with using mapp gas and a small torch from Lowes, my research revealed that I'd likely go through a lot of canisters. And apparently, the heat isn't as good as with an oxy/acetelyne setup. Getting into an O/A setup can be a bit expensive, I've found. Although Lowes is blowing out (OK, a bad term when referring to very explosive gases) small portable O/A setups for $209 (normally $299). That seemed like a good plan. As a novice, the made-in-China components would be good enough.

However, today after the STR swapmeet, I found a guy on craigslist who lives in Canyon Lake selling a very nice O/A rig for $50! I called him and went there as soon as I could. By the time I got there, he said he got 13 calls! I don't know much, but I thought it seemed like a great deal! (I have been shopping around, so I had an idea of new and used stuff.) The regulators and torches (plural) are all Victor brand stuff (100 and 300 series). One of the gauges looks kind of beat up, so I think I will simply replace all the gauges. I will also rebuild the valves in the torch handles as well. I also need to add flashback arrestors. Even after rebuilding the components, I'll still be way ahead, and could easily sell the rig for more than what I have into it.

The photo below is my first real investment into this project, hence it has now officially started! WOOHOO!!!8-[

But I have a lot to learn before I will even spark a flame. oxy/acetelyne is some dangerous stuff, and I know there is a lot more that I need to learn. You have to really careful with this stuff, hence I want to replace the gauges. A guy at a local welding supply store gave me a lot of Victor books to read, so that will keep me occupied for a while.

In my previous metal fabrication projects, I think I've done wonders with a drill press, bench grinder, and a table saw (seriously), but I don't have many of the tools I'd really like to have, such as a mill or a lathe. If anyone has some of this equipment and is willing to help out for a few dollars, I'd greatly appreciate it - and I'm plenty old enough to buy beer.

THE PLAN:
    If I'm able to get far enough into this, my first frame will be a grocery getter bike for Ko to ride (to replace the '93 extra small Specialized Stumpjumper that we inherited a while back). Frame number two will be a singlespeed for Ko. Somewhere down the line, I'll finally get around to build a frame for myself. But this is getting ahead of myself. Initially, I plan on brazing the frames together. Although I don't yet know how to braze with brass, I've done my fair share of sweating pipes, so I understand the concepts. I'll be doing some practice with some generic tubes to get familiar with how the stuff flows. I'm a craftsman by nature, having worked with various forms of media, so many of the other aspects should be fine.

I'd love to take a frame building class at UBI (www.bikeschool.com), but I just don't have the time right now, and I know I won't at least until next fall. The basic frame building class is one week. Perhaps if I stick to this, I'll take a class next year, and focus on TIG welding. I'd also like to take a welding course at the local community college, but the timing is currently bad for me.

REALITY CHECK:
    If you read the frame building forums, there's lots of talk of people who get into frame building with delusions of grandeur. Many hope to eventually make a living building frames. After they learn of all the frustrations and challenges of just building frames - they learn that selling them is another problem. For me, this is just a hobby - I have absolutely no expectations of selling any frames. Should I happen to get that far, great. I don't expect it. And I'm surely keeping my day job (as long as I can!). I know life things will make this a difficult and time consuming project. I'll be amazed if I have one frame made by (the end?) summer. And that's OK - I don't need a frame anytime soon (want is a different story).

So having said all that, wish me luck!

Attached Files:

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Sounds good and knowing you , you have done your research and this will be nice to watch(read) happen.

So let me get this right, Ko is testing all your bikes you build?:lol:

3. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Good Luck. It'll fun to follow you along. Of course we could give some gentle encouragements every now and then. Super cool idea.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    This is going to be fun to follow...

Dean

5. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Lee, I would like to come and watch/help/learn with you on a project. I feel in my 15 or so years as a mechanic/welder/ the guy that takes stuff apart to see how it works, I may have suggestions, ideas ect to collaborate. Stoked for you on the idea.

6. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    That is awesome! Great deal on the torch kit also! Now go get yourself a J-40 or 50 tip and start brazing! The torch head in the picture is a cutting head. Maybe even a "rose bud" to head a larger area.

Have fun with the new hobby!

7. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    cutting I think, looks small for a rose bud.:?:

8. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    I´ve got a lathe that you are welcome to borrow anytime. It is fairly small but pretty good quality, which means it is fairly easy to move around.
    Ive also done a lot of brazing, silver soldering, welding etc, have very extensive metal working and fitting skills and would be more than willing to help you out.
    I also have a friend coming from europe next week with frame building experience, so get the questions ready.
    Drop me a line if you are interested.
    I´ll be following this no matter what, as I think it´s a pretty interesting idea and one that I am sure many of us has mulled over.
    :beer:

9. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me

Ooops.... meant to say needing a rose bud for general heating....#-o Danny don't you understand Janglish????:lol:

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Yeah, I don't have need for a cutting torch, but perhaps I could use it if I need to fab some tooling. From what I've read, many use a #0 or #1 tip for brazing, but nomenclature and number type seems to vary between brands. Since I'm now "Victor" based (sounds like the camera guys, right? "I'm a Canon guy."), I'll be learning Victor terms.

Yes, Ko will do some of my R&D. Really, though, the grocery getter is a simple excuse to build a frame with no expectations of strength or alignment, but to learn some of the process. Each subsequent frame will give me further opportunity to hone my skills.

11. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

With the way your bikes are built and attention to detail Im sure good things will come of this. Can't wait to see more progress

12. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

good luck Lee. I look forward to following this as well.

will you be doing a jigged setup? or flat fixtures and some painstaking alignment?

I'm the same way though, I'd really love to try my hand a building a frame, but I lack the materials, money, and space, and a lot of the tools to do so. My dad and I have decided to build a guitar instead :lol:

13. Rockinthecasbah

14. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    If you build it, they will come...

15. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
  16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

My initial plan is to make jigs for small sections (sub assemblies) of the frame. This will get each section aligned (hopefully), and then I'll have kind of a makeshift jig to attach the assemblies together. This will start with being very simplified. Noting many of the well-known builders all have their way of doing it - and few are the same - I'm sure I'll learn what works for me. I really don't want to invest in a simple 8020 style jig yet (http://www.instructables.com/id/The-simplest-bicycle-framebuilding-jig-I-could-com/) until I know more of what I need. A lot of my first jigging will be made of wood and scrap aluminum with a lot of measuring.

Keep in mind that a jig is generally only used to initially tack the frame. It's welded out of the jig. There is often a lot of cold setting (forceful alignment) after the frame is complete.

17. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

neg. that's no fun :)

my dad's got a full wood shop so we figure it'll be a nice challenge. gonna be a through neck, 4 string fretless bass. should be pretty pimp.

and for jigs, I was never completely sure how big of a role they played in frame alignment. I figured with the right jig, you could put together a relatively straight frame. I guess I was wrong :shrug:

18. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    now you will need a tube bender so you can make some crazy camel hump bent down tubes and seat tubes.:lol:

19. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Don't get ahead of yourself. Before you do any welding/brazing, you'll need to learn how to make a proper acetylene b-o-m-b. Start with a Hefty bag. Your neighbors will love you :lol:

20. Rockinthecasbah

I have a JD model 3 bender you are welcome to use if you get bending, I only have a 1.5 die though, so its a little big for bike parts