29er Tire Combos/Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BrewMaster, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Has anyone tried the Kenda Karma's yet? In either the 1.8 or 2.2 forms? I'm wondering how they would fare on SoCal trails.

They are supposedly a pretty snug fit on the Stan's rims (according to Mike from Stan's).

2. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    I ran the Cortez 26 x 2.2 before as a rear tire. It is essentially the same thing as the Karma as far as I can tell. It was a great tire. I'd consider running the Karma but I like my Crossmark too much to switch.

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I think I had 2.2's (26") when I first got my Stumpy awhile ago. At the time they were not agressive enough (I wound up running Neve's 2.1).

But, I'm running a 1.9 29er as a rear tire on my Dos and it is fast. I am loving it so far.

I may try it as a front tire as well later this year. I'll never every speed/rolling advantage I can get next year ;)

4. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

has anyone tried the Panaracer Rampage in the rear? Just curious because i was thinking bout trying that...the ignitor in the rear dont seem to work that good.

5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

personal trainer
    Im not a fan of the Igniters either, especially in the front- crappy front tire.

I have ran the Rampages in both directions on the back. In the rear direction, traction is great but it has quite a bit of rolling resistance. In the forward direction, it rolls better but you lose quite a bit of traction. IMO, I like the Rampage ran in the rear direction, it sticks and is predictable, but you will feel the difference pedaling it on the climbs. It sticks, but you will work harder.

6. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Rampage

Duan that is a heavy ass tire to put in the rear (almost 800g!).

It is going to start getting dry and loose....put the Ignitor up front and get a fast roller for the rear:)

Ignitor a crappy front tire:-s Talk to scutr about that...he runs that tire front and back on both of his bikes. It is one of the best front tires I have tried for all around conditions.

7. foofighter

i'm not sure if i like the ignitor in the rear...maybe i have too high psi? I'm running 30psi right now in the rear...running resolution in the front right now...maybe thinking of getting some captain in the back?

8. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:

The Panaracer Rampage is basically the exact same tread pattern as the Kenda Nevegal. Same casing and roughly the same weight too. I think the only difference is rubber compound.

9. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    I am running the WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 on the front and either the Kenda Nevegal 2.2 or Kenda Karma 2.2

The Weirwolf is great for taking the bumps but if you run pressure too low it wants to roll, too high and you lose cornering traction. Right now I am running 28psi and it is ok.

The Karma is fast rolling and hooks up well in hardpack and over rocks. it is a 120 tpi tire so it feels very nice and plush. It doesn't hook up as well as the Nevegal but then again there arent many tires that do.

10. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Put a Captain n the rear and you've got a great combination. I love that combo on the 26er and the 29er!

Another tire that's worth a look, besides the 1100g weight, is the WTB Stout. GOBs of traction and quite honestly, they don't roll as bad as you'd expect them to. I'm actually running them both f/r, tubeless, right now. I can climb shit I never made it up before, descending they're like glue.

Don't ride them on the street or really flat trails - They make road noise like one of those massive lifted overcompensation trucks you see rolling down the road...

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Captain rear is a good compromise also. It's fairly light, and hooks up pretty well.

I've got one on the back of my Canzo currently. I go from riding the Dos (which had a Python, and now has a Karma 1.9) to the Canzo and I'm like, "Wow, I have traction!"

12. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    My vote is still for a tubeless Crossmark 2.1 for a rear tire.

I am not a fan of the Igniter either, but I have not tried it on a 29er. I don't think that makes much difference though.

13. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Sure it does

The contact patch is greater on a 29'er than a 26'er.

I have purchased and tried over ten 29'er tires. The Ignitor is not fav for all conditions.......but if they were to stop making 29'ers and only made one.....I would want it to be the Ignitor.

For my SS my fav set-up for dry hard pack is F. Ignitor R. Nano :)

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Anyone have a weight on this tire?

15. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
  16. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

My current 29er inventory:

2 x Reso
    1 x Captain
    2 x Stout
    1 x Crossmark
    1 x SB8
    2 x RR 2.2

So far, for all around riding, the Captain R/Reso F is great. For all out traction, Stouts F/R is dialed. For speed, SB8 R/RR F is fast, but sketchy.

I'm curious how the Crossmark works, I should mount it up and give it a try.

17. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

so I have pythons on my canzo right now but would like somehting with more traction, what combo would be good I know Brewmaster knows something good, as for riding style, pedal standing up uphill alot and I can handle some controlled sliding on flat corners

18. davidB

davidB Active Member

anyone run the rampage tubeless?

19. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    I ran 2.1 Ignitors on both ends for about 8 months. Lo & behold, some students of mine got me a gift certificate to a certain highly overpriced local shop. That gave me an excuse to go in & peruse some new 29er tire combos.

I went with a WTB 2.5 WeirWolf up front and am very happy with it so far. Granted, I don't know where WTB gets off calling this a 2.5; it's 2.3 at best. Regardless, the wider patch and overall greater volume really do improve traction & confidence. It seems to soak up small bumps pretty well, too.

The Ignitors were perfectly decent. Without the gift certificate, I would not have changed anything until they started to wear down. But, I've been loving the 2.5 WeirWolf up front & 2.1 Ignitor in the rear. A combo I'd recommend!

20. foofighter

what tire pressure are you running w/ the ignitor in the rear? i'm at 30psi and i get slippage sometimes.