29er Tire Combos/Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BrewMaster, Feb 18, 2008.

1. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I just picked up a 1.9 Karma for the rear to replace my worn out Python. Will give a report Thurs night or this weekend!

2. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Had both my Bontrager Dry X 29x2.1's blow off my Stan's Arch 29er rims this weekend. I was running them tubeless, with Stan's yellow tape, ~28-30psi with about 3oz of Stan's sealant.

Big BANG both times, but luckily I was just climbing and going slow.

The front tire had been mounted for 3 months - the rear was just mounted last week. I haven't had a chance to inspect for tire damage yet so I don't know the cause for the blowoffs. But I did throw in 2 tubes the tires stayed on after that.

I'm not sure if I want to try tubeless again on a 29er for a while. I might just run tubes w/ a little sealant injected into them for a bit.

3. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

which 29" tires are ust?

4. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    At the moment, none. There is word that Hutchinson is working on a UST Python 29er. Bontrager and Geax are rumored to have some in the works too.

5. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

not sure why so many peeps like those stans rims... o well not sure if any ust 29er tires will come out due to weight weeniedom but i wouldn't mind a big betty ust for a front tire... i have ust rims already on my bike :bang:

6. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    KNOCK ON WOOD. I haven't had any problems with any tires on either of my Stan's wheelsets. They've been awesome. I did slice a sidewall earlier this year, but I don't think you can blame the rim for that one ;)

I have a Dry-X on my 355's right now, and have since before VQ. I ran the Racing Ralph before, and Ignitors before that.

I've got a 2.4 Racing Ralph on my Arch rim front, and a Captain on the rear. But, those are tubed right now.

Though for those of you up over 180+lbs, I guess it isn't a direct comparison to take my experiences :?:

7. kev

kev vincit qui patitur

Home Page:
    I don't think it's the rims but the tires. I've had good luck with Stan's rims using WTB and Panracer tires. I've burped my WTB Weirwolf once or twice and th Panaracer zero. No blowoffs.

8. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Bonti's

They are known for blowing off rims. Heck some of the older tires would blow off rims with tubes#-o

Wirebead seem to work best for me:)

9. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Stouts kick ass. Gobs of grip and they don't roll nearly as bad as I expected.

The only downside is weight, they're almost 1 lb heavier each than the tires I've been running.

But the grip is awesome. I REALLY like the tire.

10. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Are the Racing Ralphs true to their size numbers as far as width or do they run small? Is anyone running them tubeless with Stan's sealant?

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I think they are probably a bit smaller. The 2.4 is more like a 2.4 mutano raptor (maybe a bit bigger?).

I had stan's tubeless in my 2.25. It didn't last long. I've been running a 2.4, and Justin ran it also, tubed (both) and it has been fine.

12. davidB

davidB Active Member

Small Block 8 2.1 = not a good front tire unless i'm on pavement. who knew? [​IMG]

looking for something fatter like a 2.35-2.4

13. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    When you say it didn't last long, do you mean the tread wore out quickly or the sealant F'ed up the tire?

I am looking for a new front tire for my Air 9 because the Mountain King 2.4 (acutally a 2.25 or 2.3) is a bit too aggressive for this bike. It's a nice tire, but more suited for AM.

14. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

i recently had the ability to ride on panaracer rampage fronts and maxxis ignitor in the rear and i'm really happy w/ them. the rampage are similar to the nevegal but more aggressive and seem to roll a lot faster. ignitors in the rear give a nice bite, i rarely spun out on some of the recent climbs i did

15. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Yeah, I hear good things about the Rampage. I may go that route.

16. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

o really what bike was this on? ;) :lol:

rampage has been a good tire for my air9 Sammy... running spechy captain tire on the rear wheel and it has been a solid combo for everything from loose DG in the san gabes to soft dirt at sart and loose over hardpack locally.

17. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

+1 on the Ignitor

This is my favorite all around tire. Does everything "good" not great. I guess that is why I purchased 10 of them from The Path#-o

However I only like it in the front.:)

18. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Like you, DeeZee, I prefer the Ignitor on the front... a good all around tire. The back, I'm presently running an SB8... sometimes doesn't hold on the loose climbs real well but boy, do they roll!

19. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Sidewall was thoroughly slashed. It happened at the SS Lovefest and photos have abounded on MTBR as well. It didn't even last 2 months, I don't think?

Brian said it's unusual, and I do have another one.

The Bonty DryX caused me a crash this weekend at Fontana, and it wanted to wash out in EVERY corner that had a little bit of built up sand. It was ridiculous. I'm gonna have to relearn how to ride a bike if the tire doesn't knock it off ;)

Not sure what else I would be running otherwise :-k

Justin asked if I was ready to run Karma 1.9's f/r, but I don't think I am ;) I'd need a 36T anyway #-o

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    The Jones Dry X is big for a 2.1 and fast rolling. But dam if those things don't want to wash out everywhere. Maybe retire them for the summer and put them back on when things are tackier.

Plus don't pump those tires up over 40psi on a hot day tubeless = explosion.

I use my Jones DryXs on my commuter bike.