2008 STR Weight-Loss Challenge (official thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ODB, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    We wont know who won until after 8:00 pm tonite. No matter who won though everybody did a really awesome job and I am confident that many of us made life changing moves that will have a long lasting impact.

2. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

I most likely won't have the final results figured out till sometime tomorrow. My wife and daughter are flying home today and I haven't seen them in 10 days. Family time comes first. Thanks for your patience.

Almost forgot: I was 182.5 lbs. this morning, down 11.5 pounds, or 5.9%. Didn't quite make my goal of getting below 180, but I'm still happy to be at my lightest weight in about four years. Goal is within reach; I just gotta put in the extra work to get there.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  3. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Keep the weigh-in's coming!! Fullerton Mike asked how it was going yesterday. As soon as the winners are posted, He'll get the gift certificate ready.

We're all very excited about this!! As an aside, Mrsmtnbikerfred is well on her way to being healthy and skinny again. If she were in the contest, she'd have already slaughtered you all. She's lost about 23% of her starting weight in less than 3 months!! Just following her with a better diet, I've lost about 30lbs. An honest, hard goal for me would be to lose another 15-20lbs.

4. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Please tell Mike thanks for chipping in.

Holy moly, that's some accomplishment for both you and the missus. Way to go! :clap:

5. Frozen208

Frozen208 No pain no gain

This morning I weighed in at 201 lbs.

6. freedom44

freedom44 New Member

Well I am still hovering around 200, today it was 203. Not bad since I started at 223 but I would still like to drop 20+ so I don't have to carry it with me up the hills.

7. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Update: Pugz PM'd his weigh-in earlier today. It's gonna take a BIG number to overtake him.

8. atomrat

atomrat New Member

I weighed in at 200 this morning. I still need to loose about 20 lbs. to meet my goal. But I haven't weighed 200 lbs. in about 10 years. I lost about 14 lbs. so far.

9. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    I'm going for a ride at Turnbull before I officially weigh-in (fireroad 2 or 3 times before it gets dark). Haha, I wonder if itwill make a difference (good motivation anyhow)... :?:

Good Luck Everyone!

10. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I am not the biggest loser.:-s

I did terribly. Never got past the original 5 pounds I lost early on. In fact, I gained part of it back. But then I lost it again. And then I gained part of it back. And then I lost it again.

So a big round of applause to all who had the fortitude and the gumption to stick with it. :clap: Whoever wins is gonna look fierce on his new bike! :bang:

11. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Okay, my previous "no food or water today during my Chilao ride" comment was an April fool's prank. C'mon, who bit???;)

Weighed myself right before eating dinner earlier. Probably not the best time of the day to weigh in as I usually do it first thing in the morning but oh well. It's not like I stand a chance...

Final weigh in = 202.5

I seriously wanted to get to 200 by today. I got down to 201 but bounced back up a little, thanks to Easter and 4 birthdays in one month. Oh well, I'll still get there. In fact, I'm thinking 190-195. I see ODB at 180 and he's looking damn sexy. I too want to be sexy like Toby! :lol:

In my book, there is no losers. The objective was to get our lazy asses up and moving and eating healthier. I think it worked, for the most part. Congratulations to all participants and keep at it. Challenge or no challenge.

12. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    WARNING: Extremely Long-Winded and Sappy (lol)

I weigh in today at 142.4 lbs (damn Turnbull ride did nothing! LOL jk)!

I know this was just a contest but (at the risk of sounding REALLY corny) it was much more. I've been on this journey for a while now (almost 2 years ago since I gained 30 lbs in 3 months!) and there were still issues I needed to work out (black&white thinking!!!). Previously, when I failed or slipped up I would give up and just go on a horrible-eating-no-exercise kick for a week or two, basically maintaining my weight. This challenge has put things in perspective, when I've fallen of the wagon, I've got right back on for the sake of the prizes. I did not eat perfectly and exercise exactly as planned, I even embarrassingly had some REAL BAD eating days. But the important thing was I went right back to being healthy! and now I am not afraid of failing, not afraid of messing up, because I now know I CAN get back on track! I CAN DO IT! Tonight proved that, as I was looking forward to eating a crappy dinner and not working out after I weighed-in but when it came down to it, I really wanted to mountain bike and I did not want to eat the crap food (ended up eating a salad)!

Now, the real challenge begins, continuing, maintaining and SUSTAINING a healthy lifestyle. I'm excited because I know it is possible and I am more than capable.

Thanks for bearing with me and thanks for being such a great group of people!

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

Attached Files:

13. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    Nice job Tara, I agree that the hard part starts now with maintaining what we've done up to this point but fortunately we have a nice support system that we can lean on.

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Way to go!!

Congrats to everyone who has lost weight in this challenge. It definitely takes guts to stick with it and try to lose weight. It's much easier to put it on than it is to take it off.

Hope everyone is able to maintain/sustain following this as well! Keep it up.

15. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    So I sent my final weight to ODB to maintian the suspense. But now that it's after eight here are my results. I started at 263.0 and finished at 231.4. Though I am by no means finished. This contest has done what ten years of staring at myself in the mirror couldn't. Thanks and congratulations to everyone who took part.

Here are my before and after pics (not as much difference as I would have liked...just have to try harder.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Wife and daughter conked out at 8:30

Turns out a trans-Atlantic flight will do that to you. Anyway, i've got the results tallied, and there were three contestants who put in efforts that stood well above the rest of the field. Truly great work guys (and gal). So, drumroll please ...
    PUGZ TAKES IT!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

STR's newest daddy lost a whopping 41.1 pounds in three months, for a total percentage weight loss of 14.77%. Just amazing! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not far behind was ohyeah89, who rid herself of 20.4 unwanted el bees for a loss of 12.53%. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nipping right at her heels was our man graves.z, shedding 126 Quarter Pounders (that'd be 31.6 pounds) for a loss of 12.01%. :clap: :clap: :clap:

In the fourth spot, we've got Hanzo's co-worker/buddy freedom44 (yes, he's an MTBer), who is now 20 pounds lighter for a total weight loss of 8.97%. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here's the full breakdown among those who did the final weigh-in:

1. Pugz -- 319.4 lbs. to 278.3 lbs., down 41.1 lbs. or 14.77%
    2. ohyeah89 -- 162.8 to 142.4, down 20.4 or 12.53%
    3. graves.z -- 263 to 231.4, down 31.6 or 12.01%
    4. freedom44 -- 223 to 203, down 20 or 8.97%

the rest of us ...
    OTHRIDER -- 208.5 to 193.4, down 15.1 or 7.24%
    DBD -- 308 to 287.5, down 20.5 or 6.65%
    atomrat -- 214 to 200, down 14 or 6.54%
    ODB -- 194 to 182.5, down 11.5 or 5.9%
    boboso -- 220 to 210, down 10 or 4.5%
    JoeTruth -- 211.6 to 202.5, down 9.1 or 4.3%
    Frozen208 -- 209 to 201, down 8 or 3.83%
    speckledtrout -- 139 to 134, down 5 or 3.6%
    Big Guy -- 275.5 to 268, down 7.5 or 2.72%

Total pounds lost for this group: 213.8, or roughly one JoeTruth (at least at his starting weight) ;)

Congratulations to everyone who participated in the challenge. May you all keep up the good work you've started or continued here.

I guess the only question now is ...

What's it gonna be, Pugz? The Chameleon, or the cash?

17. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Congrats to everyone who participated...you all did something positive for yourselves and your loved ones...bravo:clap::clap:

18. Hanzo

Hanzo .

Nice job to all that participated!:clap: Keep it up.

A big THANKS to Toby for running the show.:bang:

19. Singletrack Angel

Singletrack Angel New Member

Well, I kinda fell off the weight loss wagon and only lost 5.5 pounds, but I'm still working on it... Congrats to everyone who lost even one pound. Now it's that much easier to climb up hills...

climbing.jpeg

20. katonk

katonk .

Holy crap. I guess I should have entered...I would have barely came in 2nd.

Congrats to all.