2 more go down

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by genusmtbkr5, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

Those who "go big" should consider getting Long Term Disability Insurance plans. CA Disability will cover you for one year, but after that you have to go through Social Security, and only around 15% of those claims pay out, and the process ussaully takes several years. Most healthy people under the age of 50 can get coverage to replace 60% - 70% of thier income until age 65 at a reasonable premium. For some who engage in "high risk" behavior, DI can be more important than Life Insurance.

2. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Ya, that's always a slippery slope. I try to never talk people into doing stuff they aren't comfortable with. I don't want them to crash and then feel responsible because I talked them into something they weren't comfortable with.

Case in point: I showed a few of my wife's friends the trails here in Fallbrook. They have both been riding for a couple years but had never ridden the trails here. I had no idea what their actual skill level was, so I just played tour guide and told them what was coming up.

There is a small 1' drop/roller with a tight left turn at the bottom, and I told them about it and that it was coming up. I told them I roll it no problem, but they would have to see it for themselves and use their own judgement. The first lady walked it and the second one decided to roll it--and got a nasty endo for her troubles. After she got up and we made sure she was OK, she actually tried to pin it on me, saying I told her she could do it. I reminded her I said she'd have to use her own judgement and she let it go after that.

It's definitley something to be careful about doing.

3. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    All good points Allison... but...

You must admit that this year it's been a particularly dry year and the trails are probably in the worse shape I've ever seen. Ski Run at Summit in BB is soup & rocks... The boulders on Rabbit Run in Irvine have become almost unrideable... sections of the 3Bs in Santiago where your wheels disappear almost to the hubs ...added to this are the larger tires, more riders, faster speeds...and, of course, we have more suspension than ever... that allows you to go faster over trails that are deteriorating ... and it's not over yet...

Just be aware you may not have the control you think you do ... as several of our experienced riders now done with injuries can attest to this.

Bottom line: Be careful!

OMR

4. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I'm not saying not to ride hard and push yourself, I do, but keeping in mind that some of the trails I usually clean, I may have to slow down or walk it due to the loose conditions. I don't go big(hucks/big drops) because like Justin stated, I don't have the right equipment. In "99", I broke my collar bone at "Sheeps" for going big, put me out for 2 months. No sense in getting hurt that way and again not making the VQ because of injury. I'm a XC rider and that only comes once a year and at 43, I don't bounce back from injury as I used too. I also have the 24 hrs of Idywilde coming up, 5 man team, don't want to let them down.

5. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    yea I have long term disability that I pay for on my own and it is peace of mind.

6. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    My big crash would have cost over $417,000 w/o insurance. I didn't pay a dime. Shoulda had long term disability insurance tho...

7. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Gene,

Thanks for reminding us to be more careful. We all need to be reminded even me a mom of two. I ride with my 12 year old many times , I'll let her ride down places and I walk them. I chose to walk them because if she falls - I want to make sure I am in a position to help her out.

Sometimes choosing to walk is not an easy choice.

PainFreak thanks for the reminder others are dependent on us. That is so true. I'll probably be riding like a mom until my girls are independent. Then after that I'll probably be riding like a grandma.

Your only a good rider on the bike - when having the ability to ride the bike. In the hosptial or in a cast you are no longer a good rider. Not until you get back on the bike. I say this to Julia (12) all the time. She thinks her best time on the bike is when she is flying down and is in the air. I didn't know she could fly (something she mentioned yesterday).

I'll be getting her her elbow and knee pads this week.

I hope Jason and CC heal quickly!

You all be safe!

8. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i'm with Cranium :lol: although my bike is just a standard 6" AM bike, it does really instill confidence when the trail gets steep...

9. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

so so true...descretion is the better part of valor sometimes...i'm the sole bread winner for the house as my wife god bless her takes care of the house and 3 chitlins and i think about them as i decide to bomb down the middle of rock it or take the shoulder route...

10. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Oh, and for the record, I went down because my bike handling skillz suck.

11. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Grasshopper

Errrr, Duan... If catch you doing the P line on Rocket, I'll have to pull your rider's card :lol:

OMR

12. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

I know for myself this summer I've been riding WAY more than any other, especially with all the rides available to me thru STR. More rides = more potential for injury. Being the clutz that I am, I try to be careful on the bike but sometimes you do want to push and see what you can do. I also know most of my injuries have happened off bike just trying to make it from one side of the room to the other!

I don't think we go out with the intention to get hurt but to have a good time and push ourselves to new limits. Whats a sport without risk or injury?

Be careful out there. Hope everyone heals up quickly! It sucks to know that a fellow rider/friend is hurt.

13. Permagrin

Permagrin Hard landing comin' up!

As others have said, insurance is one of the best things you can do for yourself. You may not always need it but when it comes to not having it and then needing it, it can make all the difference between eating mac and cheese for months or going on with your life.

Not to change the subject and get morbid or anything, but in the same thought, a will and/ or a trust is also a good idea. We all know mtb (and other sports) can be dangerous and for those that have families that count on them or own property, it can mean those families are taken care in time of need. Hopefully no one in here or anyone close to anyone will need them, but it's definitely worth looking into because it only takes once.

I too ride like I want to ride tomorrow and the day after and although I like challenging myself I have to err on the side of caution because I'm afraid to break a bone and not be able to do the things I love to do. Healing at 40 takes a lot longer than it did at 20. Nothing wrong with having fun and taking it to the limits but please be prepared and think long term.

CC and Jason - I don't know you, but I'm glad to hear you're both going to mend. It sounds like you're going to get to spend some time in front of the tv...

14. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    I was freaking out in 2004 when I was checking out a jump and rode next to the trail heading towards it to gauge how much speed was needed. Someone decided to dig a 3ft wide x 3 foot deep hole that I managed to find the hard way and my bike shot straight into it. I slammed the ground face first and lost alot of my lower inner lip and split my outer lip open as well... My helmet cracked open from front to back and thank God I had one on!!

Of course I didnt have ANY insurance at this time....

15. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    It's getting ugly. looks like STR = Socal Therapy and Rehab :(

16. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    i broke two ribs in Big Bear 3 weeks ago because of the loose conditions. steep and sketchy. loose and sandy. my back tire slid out while trying to scrub some speed and the only way i managed to stop was by landing on my back on a rock. or would it be considered a boulder. at what point does a rock become a boulder...?

17. guero

guero iFroth

that is like saying "rain causes accidents..." meaning, it is not the terrains fault for the crashes.

hope ya heal up quick. i cracked a rib after casing it on a jump while snowboarding, it sucked not being able to sneeze or cough because of how bad it hurt.

18. mcgyver0302

mcgyver0302 Life behind bars

Slave
    Home Page:
    Lots of good advice to be found here... but will we listen? Maybe a little bit! Heal up quick CC and Jason :(

19. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

Seriously I think I'm over insured...we have to have health insurance to play derby and yet we have to purchase additional from the roller association people. I also have Aflac accident coverage and after all this talk made sure my power of attorney was current. I have no dependents so all my friends and family will get whatever I have. :)

20. SlimJim

SlimJim weird rider

Student
    Man I hope you guys feel better[-o-], the best to both of you:wave: