2 more go down

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by genusmtbkr5, Aug 20, 2007.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    After today(Sun), we had 2 more from our STR family members go down to injuries. Has the curse of Steven Jackson gone beyond the Fully Loop? Jason(ChumbaJason) and Cathy(CC) are the latest to go on the DL. Heal quick Jason & CC.

Jason apparently went down going big at Del Cerro and lost his footing. Ended up with a concussion, right big toe as big as a mellon and he can't move his right arm. He may have cartilage damage.

CC went down at BB and has a concussion, a bump on her forehead, a swollen arm, stiff neck and multiple cuts and scrapes on her neck.

We already know about Jared(~ Pakiha ~), Barry(mcgyver0302) and Keith's injuries. Brett(guero) had a really close call a couple weeks ago at the Fully Loop along with another rider. Thank god it wasn't another trip to the ER. From what I heard about the crash, it could have been bad. Chris(SAR boats) went down again at Santiago Oaks due to loose conditions.

I guess the reason why I'm doing this thread is because of my concern for my fellow riders. Some of the injuries are from going "BIG", others by going too fast. Some crashes because of trail conditions(dry and loose).

We are a couple months away from the Fall season and hopefully some much needed rain. The trail conditions then would greatly improve and I don't want to see any more of my friends and fellow riders miss out on those riding conditions because there arm is in a sling or a much worse injury.

I myself, am committed to staying focus on the Vision Quest. Last Sept, I was careless and I suffered a sprained wrist. It kept me from getting in the training rides needed to prepare for the VQ so I dropped out. Thanks to Chris Vargas, I was still able to participate in the Counting Coup, but for me, it's not the same. God willing, it won't happen this time.

I know the fall, winter and spring brings another season of racing and epic rides due to the improved conditions, I hope to join all of you on those rides and see or read you all doing well in your events.

The trails are dry and loose now, but not for long, so by all means ride, but ride with care. Once it cools down and we get some rain, I'll be looking forward to doing some training rides and also doing some epic rides like Joplin, Bell Ridge, Los Pinos with some of you and that's just locally! I hope injury doesn't keep any of us from those rides. I hope to see you all on the trails, especially when the conditions get better. :D Gene

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  2. 2xPneu

2xPneu New Member

I realize this will fall on deaf ears, but one of the beauties of riding rigid (and even fixed) offroad is that your equipment doesn't lend itself to high speeds and the injuries inherent therein. Every obstacle is approached knowing the limitations of your equipment. Doesn't mean you can't go fast, but it does mean you're not assuming your full sus bike will get you through everything so full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes. I pretty much keep up with (and usually ahead of, on the climbs) the groups I ride with, but let them bomb through the bad sections while I go a bit slower.

3. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    I just talked to Jason , hope your feeling better bro , sorry to hear that you waded up

4. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Outside of STR, we have had a few injuries come in to the OR (and I'm in HB/Fountain Valley, not many trails around here). Most were from loose conditions and too much speed, a couple from jumps.

Luckily, I ride as though on a rigid (hahah) even withough I've never had one

5. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Make sure you have health insurance. If you don't have any, atleast get some sort of high deductible emergency insurance. One trip to the Hospital would pay off.

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    No doubt here Andy. I was shocked to learn my trip to the ER because of my little leg puncture would have been a $1500 if it wasn't for health insurance. If you need xrays, MRI's etc that's going to make your bill sky rocket.

7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Sorry to hear about this CC and Jason. I hope you two are feeling better soon.

I look at some of the postings and I cringe when I see my fellow riders and friends "going big". I think all of us would like to be able to do these things but we must keep in mind the penalties for not making it. It's not a matter of bravery, but what you feel you can get away with. I have many scars from stuff I did when I was younger and dare I say more, foolish? Please people consider the consequences of your actions. Like my wife keeps telling me....No one is going to pay our mortgage if you get hurt and can't make it to work. We have a lot of people who depend on us so let's not be selfish and do it for a not so "cheap thrill". I can tell you it won't be cheap. There's a lot of fun riding without over doing it. Thanks Gene, it helps to remind us.

8. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I've said it before, and we were actually chatting about it last night at LPQ. I always use a lot of caution--sometimes maybe too much. I just don't have the "willingness to get hurt" for lack of a better phrase. As Mike said, I have a mortgage to pay, but more importantly, I want to ride tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day. I always say a small prayer at the trailhead for a safe ride.

Like at Noble. when I have shuttled it on a 42 pound, 7" travel freeride bike, I still walk Widowmaker and Stairway to Hell. Ya, I know they aren't that hard and people ride them on HT's, but all it takes is once. Art/SoCalLife who used to post on here went down on Widowmaker and last I heard was off the bike for months because of it.

So let's be careful out there:bang:

9. Burner

Burner WAWE

CC and Jason, sorry to hear about your injuries. Heal up quick.

Mike, that's exactly why I'm such a p*ssy!

10. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    A good message, grasshopper!

Well put Gene! Just like when the streets are double slick after a first rain, the trails have become very, very loose and slippery. You could see this on Sat's ride at Santiago Oaks. There was some really good examples of bike handling skills... but even they were sometimes on the edge... several close calls that could have been ugly.

Please be careful... I want to see alot of you at VQ/CC this coming year.

OMR

11. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    BUMMER - Healing Vibes to all, I know they helped me, I didn't even make Gene's list HAHAHAHA :lol::lol:

I'll be hitting the rails to trails this week and getting the lungs and cardio back up to speed. 5 weeks in retrospect has gone by fast, and hopefully I'll not need longer [-o-].

Heal quick everyone!

12. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    healing vibes to all fallen comrades. Being off the bike sux. wish all you the best for speedy recoveries

13. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Sorry Jared, I just editted it to add you to the DL. Good to hear you'll be back soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  14. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Thats sucks for CC and Jason. I hope you guys get better ASAP. I ride quite a bit by myself and sometimes it is safer for me because 1. I feel no need to keep up with the more experienced riders on taking technical sections. 2. When I do ride with a group I will push myself because I am with a group and if I get hurt I am with other people who can help me out.

As far as the subject of not having the right bike for the right trail. I look at like this not everybody can afford a downhill rig to be ridden 3 to 6 times a year.

15. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Jason & CC - Rest, Take it easy & Heal Up Quick!

16. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Get well soon CC and Jason

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    DOPER!!

... back on Topic. We all participate in a potentially dangerous sport/hobby. But, yeah, there have been injuries lately. People I think like to push the envelope, since typically that is what makes you a better rider. Progression isn't easy if you ride the beginner trails and keep your speed below 15MPH. Don't get me wrong, you don't *have* to progress. But, if you do, you're probably gonna hurt yourself a few times in the process.

Also, this little message board community has grown a ton. We're all out doing group rides basically every weekend, and challenging ourselves and each other.

So, is there an increase in the number of crashes, or just the number of crashes we hear about?

Healing thoughts to all and can't wait to ride with everyone again!

18. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Very good points!! I agree you have to "push the envelope" to grow as a rider. I just always struggle with how much to push at any one time.

I never thought about the "increase in crashes we hear about" point. Good food for thought.

19. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Only you can determine your limits. It's hard for others to try to pinpoint where your limits are, and what your skill set is.

I think I'm gonna stay away from trying to get others to do stuff, unless I know they are at least as good as me and I've just done it ;)

20. guero

guero iFroth

I can see where you are coming from with this, but I never assume my travel is going to allow me to just "point and shoot" through technical sections. I rode my 29er s/s with 80mm of travel through the same tech sections as I did with my Coiler and now my Dawg. Yes, I had to be more picky with the 29er, but I never took the pu$$ylines.

My crash was a result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I had what I thought was enough space between myself and the rider went down, but being it was at the bottom of a fast downhill, and his bike cartwheeling into my line, I had no choice but to try to bunnyhop the forementioned bike and.....we all know what happened. #-o

Great thread though Gene!