'14 World Champs DH

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by dcrfx, Sep 3, 2014.

1. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Claudio seems naturally fast - he sure wanted to get by Brendog! I love his previews "I didn't clear that gap because I'm such a wuss..." then obliterates the massive jump at the end, after passing Brendan.

This is an Aaron Gwin course. Go A-A Ron! 2nd overall in World Cup and a World Championship! Let's do this....

Hill and Ratty are in such good form right now, they will be hard to beat.

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

4. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

I'm rooting for Loic Bruni. He had bad luck last year in the wet here, getting caught in the roots going wide, while ahead ~1.5 secs. I expect him, and Ratboy, to take some gambling high/straight lines through the chunky wooded section, to get a medal position.

More exciting to see the underdogs win. Heck, I'd be excited if there's any new 1st time world champs (not counting juniors). Manon over Rach and Emme; Bruni, Gwin, Brosnan, Ratboy, or even Matt Simmonds over Hill, Minnaar, and Gee. Hard to count any of the previous world champs out. Gee man looks to be in top form too, no worse than Sam Hill. Gee hasn't been getting beat up this year, instead it's Greg getting beat up.

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I think it's wide open, no need to keep it safe to protect points, miss a race ect..

I think if I had to pic someone I might pic Bronson.

6. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Environmental Scientist
    Looking forward to this one. The course preview shows this to be a gnarly track!

7. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

8. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    Wow! First time I've seen that guys course preview! I loved his commentary, haha.

I hope Gwin takes it. Gwin seems like a down to earth guy. (He actually responded to one of my comments on his Instagram, haha! )

9. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Emmeline Ragot crashed and hurt her hand. Doubt she'll be racing on it, unless she thinks she can get a top 3 despite it.

British team is stacked: Danny Hart, Gee, Ratboy, Matt Simmonds, Steve Peat, Sam Dale, Greg Williamson and Rachel, Manon, Tahnee Seagrave... Brendog not racing. Not sure if that's because he didn't make the team with limited slots. Mike Jones and Bernard Kerr would've been top contenders too. The USA team just seems to have Gwin, Neko, Eliot Jackson, Luca Shaw, and a couple non-WC guys , plus Jill Kintner. Richie Rude went to Enduro... where's the KHS team and Ropelato? Perhaps Austin Warren could've represented, but he's not really in the league with Gwin and Neko, as he and the other US riders would find it a challenge to even qualify for WCs. Well, Rude not qualifying for his last WC might've been a fluke.

10. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I'm just going to stay up and watch it :)

11. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

In my younger days.... but hear it's going to be 4 hours, ends at 7am ish, not the abbreviated version we're used to in the wc streams. Think I can drop in around 6 and see the top mens. Got my stupid hot ride out of the way today so ready to sit on the couch all day tomorrow. A weekend doesn't get much better, good mtnbike ride, Worlds DH and first week of NFL :)

12. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Before anyone asks about Steve Smith:

[​IMG]

13. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Nico for USA!

14. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

O M G. Great race! *jaw still dropped*

15. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Broken Cranks for Josh Brycelan on the last gap otherwise he would have won. Thats racing. Hopefully he is ok.

16. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Didn't see the race, did see the results. Interesting... great season for the silver medalist.

Not really what I had hoped for as far as the winner goes, but can't ever count the top finisher out. Like Rob says - dude always takes chances and always wants to win. And he has raced Fontana - so, that's probably why he's so good.

I'm off to go see if I remember how to ride at all. Glad it's going to be 95* today!

17. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Crazy crazy crazy. Lack of words.
    SPOILER##############

Favorite run.... Neko 4th without a chain!!!!!!!!!

18. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Had at least 2 runs in this race that could be considered on par with Sam Hill's Val Di Sol run (the one where he crashed towards the end in a would-be-winning run).

Name of the game this race was carrying speed, linking each of the sections smoothly, taking risky lines, and carrying more speed, doing more than just pumping and expertly navigating through the chunk. Amusing how Ratboy was just calmly sitting in his saddle a few straights, yet getting the results. I wonder if they remove the contact seals from those CK hubs or something, to give him speed to allow him to rest in the straights like that. Perhaps he was advised to calm down, maybe in order to get consistently good results? Neko's and Gee's run reminded me of their runs at Cairns earlier this year.

I liked Danny Hart's and Sam's run the best. Josh's run definitely the most dramatic, followed by Neko's. Funniest commentary goes to that Kazakhstan rider's run. Blenki, undoubtedly, had the most stylish run.

19. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Wow Nico deserves some sort of medal. To get that close to a medal after snapping the chain right out the gate is insane.

Sam was so fast and could have won.

Josh what were you thinking I mean why would you hit that jump with that speed. Sounds like broken ankle and broken crank.

Gee gets lucky again.

20. bing!

bing! Active Member

Wheee heeew, I got Rachel's time within half a second for the Rockshox give away. I got Sam Hill at 3:38, got my fingers crossed as a I watch the rest of the race.