Ride Report 12 Hours of Temecula

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by CruIsRad!, Jun 14, 2008.

1. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Hey Gang!

Well, I figure I'm online so I may as well start!

This was a very fun event at a very cool venue. It was also my first 12-hour. I was registered Solo Clyde, but in the last week I ended up filling in for a missing rider on Team High Gear (4 person team). I was VERY glad I did this!!! It was pretty hot - not Traverse hot, but still, hot enough to make you suffer!

The course was something like ~11.3 mi, with about ~1500 ft of climbing (I'm guesstimating as it's not posted on GeoLadders yet!). Pretty good variety of terrain. A few short, moderately technical downhill singletrack sections - but overall, not a very technical course. The soft sand in many places, however, added a technical element to many sections of the course!

Our team was in 4th place out of 15 (4-person team category) when I left...we were ~30 minutes ahead of the 5th place team, but a full lap behind the 3rd place team. #-o

My lack of training over the last month was apparent, netting me a pair of ~1:12:00 laps.

On Lap 1, my legs just fizzled out as soon as I hit the "Dam Climb", which is near the start of the lap...you reach this at roughly ~7 mins into the lap. My legs felt like concrete and my heart rate skyrocketed out of control, at one point reaching the 200bpm mark. I peaked the climb around ~25 mins, off my expected pace. Got passed by 2 riders.

After the climb, there is a little more rolling fire road followed by a good deal of semi-technical downhill singletrack. This is where I tend to do best, and I ended up passing ~5 riders before the end of the lap. I also cleaned all of the short/steep climbs and hike-a-bikes. But it wasn't enough to make up for my snail's pace up the hill.

My 2nd lap felt MUCH stronger than the first, and I was quite perplexed how I could have felt so much stronger and faster yet netted the same elapsed time. :?: My legs felt better, my heart rate was much more under control, and I climbed in higher gears. I also made a number of passes on the second half of the course and cleaned all the H-A-B's again. But again, it didn't make up for my less than stellar climbing.

The fastest lap of the day was somewhere around :47 mins (not mine! Pro rider I think), last I heard. This could have been beat, but I doubt it.

We had a nice, shady area in the grass to stage out of, and it was great! Need to remember to bring the family and dog next time, as there was plenty of room for all sorts of outdoor activities to keep the fam occupied.

Pics will follow, as they are mainly on a team mate's camera. See you guys out there in November! :bang:

Attached Files:

2. S Works

S Works New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2008
  3. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    will post pics tomorrow... gotta sleep.
    we did great. 18 teams in the 3 person, and we finished 5th. khs/cytomax won the 3 person... we were up against some really strong teams.
    a few pics tomorrow....

4. back of the pack

back of the pack Member

Home Page:
    Sean,
    Your team might of cut off a few minutes per lap by taking the kickstand off of the bike in the 1st picture (J/K)

How was breathing through the broken nose?

5. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    And I am sure that our "The Machine" also would have played better defense in the closing moments of Game 3 ... even after tearing up the course.

guess I am still a bit peeved at the Lakers...

Can't wait to read the reports!

6. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Well, alright now...you can't leave us hanging...how many laps did she do?

7. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

More photos...

I came a little late and brought much needed ice to the melting group from Adreneline.... I was able to catch some moments between laps and some good emotion. It was a beautiful venue...and a nice day for those of us under the tents.... I stood on the hill for a few minutes and got a glimpse of the intense heat they experienced out on the course....that was enough for me!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool down was either a cold shower or a freezing towel...

[​IMG]

and then back out they go....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a nice roll through grass...then a swampy sand pit...to a steep little climb that Neil made look easy even with no momentum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and off they go...
    [​IMG]

The return was a washed out singletrack that many missed and ended up in the bushes...so the coordinators were out trying to repair the trail.
    [​IMG]

...looks like a success!
    [​IMG]

I don't know how she was smiling at this point!! Good job!!
    [​IMG]

For Neil....coming in from a lap just meant more ...
    [​IMG]

For Troy and Steve it meant rest and success for their first endurance race!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good job everyone.... and I'm sure the overall's will be posted soon!!!

8. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

allison rode like a woman posessed!!

thanks to everyone out there that cheered me/us on....justin, allison, carl, neil, tom, surlygal, shudder, jenz, mario, keith, and everyone i can't remember right now.

willie.....animal!!! great job kid!!

my body is still pretty pissed at me....i am just stoked that i was able to bang out several more laps after the complete bodily meltdown. 2 bottles per lap...still wasn't enough....racing in the heat blows!! i was so trashed last night, even beer didn't sound good!

anyway, great race everyone!! see ya in november.

9. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    It was hot from 9 till 4pm. 3 laps I did in the first 4 hours or so really took a toll. Was ready to quit then. I originally wanted 6. But could only ground out two more for 5 total. Cleared Marine Core a few times and didn't lay the bike down all day despite the powder and chunk out there. Felt good about that. And was still climbing most of the hills my last lap. Small victories. Anyhow, despite all the positive encouragement from Traci and Nam. Thanks guys, but dam, I just didn't want it anymore to go out at 7pm for #6. Like I said, if I did I probably would have come back and put all my bikes up for sale in the marketplace. :)

Steve, Troy, Jason, and Greg. Nice seeing you guys. All you guys did awesome out there. Much tougher day than January's race for sure. Neil, you're a monster. Way to throw down and crush you way into 2nd. Mario and Luke, thanks for kind words as you guys went whizzing by. Willie, man Willie, good job. It was hot under all that hair huh?

Weyland, good job man. Way to go out and put up a strong 6, 2nd place Beg. solo. Definitely avenged how you got screwed out of a medal in January.

Allison is a machine. I'll let her tell her story, but she basically biked fast laps all day.

Nam, Traci, Kelly, Mike (Shud) thanks for running a great pit and making sure we were pampered when came in from those hot laps. Post ride BBQ and beers were awesome. Thanks for that too. Good times. Diamond Dave, thanks for keep my bike running smooth all day too man.

Duke777, man I'm still going to hook you up for something for fetching my clothing bag that I forgot. Riding in Dickies shorts Sat would have sucked. Huge thanks dude. But we're still going to call you 1.5 (as in 1 and 1/2 laps) for breaking the rear derailleur that demo from Intense on your first lap and taking the quad ride back to the finish instead of skateboarding it in! When you going to open the Chinese owned Taco Truck? Your tacos Sat were delicious.

Jason and his crew did a great job organizing the race. Course was well marked with plenty of sweepers and enough aid stations. Most people I've seen yet so I hope this event continues to grow. Dam, I should have made use of the pool though.

Here's a few pics.

Duke777 Calling out his # laps. Almost dude, 1.5!
    [​IMG]

Dubjay after his 6th.
    [​IMG]

Okay, happier now with Will who was with team 2nd to last.

[​IMG]

Good job Troy. 3rd place beg. solo finisher.

[​IMG]

What's TKblazer doing?!?.

[​IMG]

Greg finishing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allison with Mechmann after her monster day.
    [​IMG]

Groupshot. I think 1x1Clyde was still ripping lap #7
    [​IMG]

Beg. Solo podium.
    [​IMG]

10. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    That was one tuff event , the Heat and the dam climb were brutal . There is so much preparation that does into this race . Congrats to all of the racers Neil ,Greg ,Troy ,Carl ,Weyland ,Jason ,Mike ,Allison ,Brad , & JP for your efforts and determination . Thank you Tracey, Dave, Nam, Kelly for your support the entire weekend , couldnt have done this without you ...Big props to Troy who hit the podium on his first mountian bike race ever,your a machine !! Tracey brought me back from the dead after my 3rd lap , I over-heated for sure .. she brought my body temp. back to some-what normal and I was able to finish strong with 5 laps total. Good times again !

11. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    Great RR everyone, good job. Can't wait to hear where everyone else finished.

12. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

I've had a deviated septum as long as I can remember, and I've never been able to breathe through my nose save for once or twice a month...so I'm kinda used to it. :?: This is also the 7th time I've broken it I think. 3 times on bikes, and 4 times brawling. Good times! :lol:

13. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Er,what?

14. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Ahhh...I 'splain the obtuse reference.

There is a Laker player nicknamed "The Machine" and he basically let the Opposing player from "The hated Celtics" blow right past him to score the decisive score in a monumental Laker collapse in Game 3 of the NBA championships.

I am confident that You on the other hand being our STR "The Machine" and having a reputation of being a true STR competitor, after finishing a grueling 12 hour race would have gutted it out, played defense and swatted that ball back from whence it came...or something like that!

I don't know like I said I am still a bit peeved at the Lakers, and just happy to read the ride reports.

Good Job, and I haven't even read you ride report yet!

15. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    just a few pics. didnt get one of everyone... i was too busy racing and icing down...
    1 : basecamp for the day
    2 : riders start to line up
    3 : shudder in action (i think)
    4 : damon and a sho-air rider at the start
    5 : damon around the 1st turn/exchange area
    6 : luke wiens rolls through
    7 : pepperette on the 1st sandy climb
    8 : kevin heads out

Attached Files:

16. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    One Hot Weekend!!!!!

Let me start off by saying how PROUD I am of the crew I supported this weekend....Each one had suffered and REACHED their goals and then some...................................

Our Race weekend started out like every other one, gotta head out early and get our pit set up.So off we went on our very short trip to Temecula at 12:00 pm Friday.Neil, Dave & Greg went to pick our spot for our *base camp* for the day, it was a good one! right on the course at the start/finish and in shade (for most of the day).

By 3pm everyone had arrived and were feeling the HEAT and realizing what Neil had convinced them to DO #-o

No pre-ride for our group just tons of mental prepping and eating, lots of eating...After sharing a few campfire stories everyone called it an early night.

Race Day:

It's 6:15 i'm up, i've gotta make pancakes for everyone, this was going to be a VERY LONG HOT day 8-[ I'm starting to get stressed - my job for the day is FULLY Support 5 racers (Neil,Troy,Jason, Stevie B & Greg) plus 3 (Carl, Kyle, & Weyland) more if they needed it (What did I get myself into :?:)

Race time came up quick - Off they went and the waiting game began..

Lap one is always a bit longer Jason has them do a parade lap. One by one everyone came in feeling *Good* refuel, quick rests and out they'd go, until lap 3.

Lap 3:
    Greg & Neil would come in within minutes of each other always smiling sharing lap stories and needing a good ole long break from the heat.

As each of the others came in from their 3rd lap I learned just how strong of riders and people these guys were.

Troy came in his to see his wife had who had showed up during lap 2 to surprise him, her being there gave more motivation to get back out there even if it was hot! really hot..troy had looked good coming in from each lap, but the heat got to him,Troy had made a personal goal of 6 laps and I think he was questioning if he could do it. He took full advantage of the pool showers and cooled himself down giving him the strength to get back out on the bike.

Stevie B was strong all morning, but this heat lap almost beat him actually HAD beat him! He came in exausted and had hit the brick wall. He was not going out again no way! We spent a good 45 mins cooling him down with ice cold towels on his head - we hydrated him well and as fast as hit hit bottom he perked back up and decided he'd make the journey back on the course, for lap 4 (his goal)..

Jason this was by far his hardest lap too, but for other reasons....Jason's soles of his shoes had seperated from the upper so any pedal power he had was left on the course. Honestly i'm not sure how he even rode. Again - he needed refueling and a little nudge back on the course, making it out for his goal of 4 as well.

Small peice of info on Stevie, Troy & Jason.
    They have never raced XC in their lives, so on top of deciding to race for the first time they also thought an endurace race in 100 degree heat was the best choice #-o

For Greg this was his first endurance event too - you wouldn't know it though. He'd come in tell me what he needed and back out he'd go. When Greg came in from his 6th lap he said...I think I broke my rib and i've passed 3 guys so i'm not resting i'm just going back out (what :?:).

On Neils 6th lap he finally caught the guy who he knew was ahead all day, This guy was coming in to his pit grabbing a few things and back out he'd go - he never sat down...I thought he was smoking Neil. Well as it turns out he was running 2hr laps to Neils 1:20's with real sit down refuel breaks. Neil came in with a 2 min lead on this guy. So I sent him back out for number 7. The other guy choose not to go back out.So Neil did not need lap 7, but was already on the course, so lap 7 added 1 more to his overall standings for the series.

So at the end of the day this little group of racers had done some real soul searching, not only reaching their goals but even going a step further and finishing a lap ahead of what they thought they were capable of doing.

Troy - 3rd beginner solo 6 laps
    Neil - 2nd clydes solo 7 laps
    Stevie B. - beginner solo 5 laps (1 more than his goal)
    Jason - beginner solo 5 laps (1 more than his goal too)
    Kyle - 4th beginner solo 6 laps (20 mins behind Troy)
    Carl - beginner solo 5 laps ( he's never fully recovered from the Traverse)
    Greg - 4th sport solo 7 laps (15 off 3rd)
    Willie - 1st place (shudders son) this little guy learned some real big lessons this weekend :bang:
    Weyland - 2nd beginner solo 6 laps
    Allison - Sport solo (i'll let her tell you!)

Big props to all the STR racers and all the other racers who choose to be out racing in the heat!Even bigger props to Jason, his family and his sponsers for putting on another awesome event.

Kelly - Thanks for the ice! I think you were a HUGE part of why Stevie got back out on lap 3
    Dave - A your a fantastic wrench! Thanks for coming out and supporting the racers
    Nam- Thanks for being there! your humor is always NEEDED to lightlen things up!
    Shudder - Thanks for being the official *SWIM COACH* of the kiddies. For those of you that didn't know Michael did not get to race (broken wrist) so instead he was support for his son Willie, Photographer and was on Daddy duty. Maddie & Toby played the whole day and never needed mom(me) or dad(Michael) (wow was that NICE) but Michael did take them to the pool 2x's

A few pic's..Sorry i don't have many, Dave was busy wrenching and I was too busy making sure these guys had everything they needed.

Jason giving his speech
    [​IMG]

Troy
    [​IMG]

Stevie B. & Jason
    [​IMG]

Neil just getting started
    [​IMG]

Willie coming in from his 1st lap (shudders son)
    [​IMG]

I'm going to say it again - I am so Proud of everyone!

17. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Like everyone else has mentioned already, we were in for a hot day of racing. Good job to everybody who stuck it out.

I was so afraid of cramping, that I think I may have actually been taking in more electrolytes than I needed. But I guess that worked out, because I kept riding until about 8PM (with breaks in between laps of course), without any cramping at all. Tired with low energy, yes - but not cramping.

My on-bike nutrition consisted of the following for each lap:
    1-2 Saltstick tablets
    2 scoops Perpetuem + 1 scoop of Fresh Apple Cytomax in a bottle
    50oz of water w/ Elete
    A few Clif Blox - Margarita

In between some laps, I had a total of:
    2-3 Clif Bars
    2 bottles of Pickle Juice Sport
    1 Gatorade
    1 Red Bull
    1 Banana
    Leftover rice, chicken, potatoes from night before

My laps times weren't exactly blazing fast, especially during the hottest parts of the day.

My original goal was something along the lines of 8 laps, but that quickly changed, as I found myself already behind pace after only 3 laps.

Instead I finished with 6 laps, good enough for 2nd in the Solo Men's Beginner class.

Lap 1 @ 9:00AM - 1:17:45
    Rode the last portion of the lap with Carl. I think we kept on saying we were going too fast. I guess we were as this was the fastest lap of the day for me.

Lap 2 @ 10:23AM - 1:23:10
    Uneventful?

Lap 3 @ 12:00PM - 1:33:31
    Stomach started growling near the end of the lap. Thoughts of food crowded my mind.

Lap 4 @ 2:17PM - 1:35:47
    Food must have still been digesting. Felt super sluggish here. Thoughts of calling it a day started to cross my mind.

Lap 5 @ 4:23PM - 1:31:08
    The Red Bull from shudder must have helped a bunch. Feel re-energized.

Lap 6 @ 6:24PM - 1:25:09
    The happiest feeling in the word is knowing that you're going out for your last lap. I figured I would come in around 8PM, which wouldn't be enough time for me to complete another one.

The course had some fun sections, as well as some soft powdery areas this time. It seemed that quite a few people kept going down. I can only describe the descents on the soft powdery sections as controlled chaos.

What makes these races a ton of fun is all the people who are out there giving their support, not just those working the pits, but also fellow racers.

Once again, the Adams family was more than hospitable in sharing their food, drink and race support staff. Thanks to Traci, Nam and Dave for manning the pits.

So who is in for November? :)

18. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    So who is in for November?

for sure. our 3 person is in for the overall series, so we have to be there!
    also planning on being there for the september xc festival too...

19. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    We'll be there too :bang: Currently Neil is in the lead for 1st overall in his divison by 2 laps.
    See ya in November :bang:

20. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't even know where to begin or what to say about the race yesterday.

I guess, first off, huge thanks and much appreciation to Justin who took the day off and basically spent the entire time supporting me, and helping out where he could with others.

He made sure I was fed, hydrated, clean, and as cooled off as possible for about 11 hours. There's no way I could have done so well without his support and encouragement.

It was great seeing Neil, Traci, Maddie, Nam, Troy, Michael, Willie, Carlton, Weyland, Luke, Eric, Heidi, Michael, and everyone I've seen at races this year and can't remember right now ;)

Jason said in the pre-race meeting there were about 170 racers (over 70 Solo, I believe?).

We got our pit area set up under the trees, near the pond on the way in before finishing a lap. It was in the shade almost all day. Though we put the table right next to the course, so everything was pretty melty after lap 1 :lol:

Pre-race

[​IMG]

Heidi's got her game face on

[​IMG]

Luke and I headed over to stage for the parade lap around 8:45. Just waiting in the sun it was a scorcher.

Easily the warmest it's been in weeks. Last week actually was really nice every day. I knew it'd be hot out if it was this warm already and not even 9 am.

I had the Go Pro on my helmet, turned on my Garmin just as we started (I think it missed a bit due to not being ready to go) through the campground for the parade lap.

We rode around the one small loop, through the trees, and off we went.

Fast guy's in the parade lap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading out on the first lap

[​IMG]

Immediately there was a pileup past the sand trap on the short steep incline up to the fire road. Past that there were just a lot of racers on the fire road heading out to Dam climb.

Some hammered, some not. I hung back behind Neil for awhile, and rode a bit with Luke. Eric, I think, had taken off pretty fast.

I had no idea really who else was in my class or where they were at.

I just figured I'd ride my own race and shoot for my 8 laps. Perhaps I had lofty goals? I think with any less mileage than I got last month 8 laps would have been far too much to ask.

Either way, I knew I was in for a long day, and one that would contain a personal best.

Climbing up Dam climb the first time was as it usually is... just long and warm. I felt okay, but not great. I expected Luke to take off fast, but he was taking it easy in the heat, so I climbed with him and quite a few others.

I didn't make the steep climb after the 180. There were a few people hiking. The ridgeline trail was fun, as always. I passed by the feed/water station and kept on.

At the bottom of the singletrack/Marlin Justin was there I think with Tom cheering us all on and offering encouragement for lap 1.

A rider

[​IMG]

Eric

[​IMG]

Luke and I mix it up with some team guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were also at the bottom of Tunnel

Eric again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other racers

[​IMG]

Jens

[​IMG]

Luke

[​IMG]

Me

[​IMG]

Neil in his Salsa kit!

[​IMG]

Neil heading toward BMX

[​IMG]

"You're taking a picture of me?"

[​IMG]

Eric coming in for lap 1

[​IMG]

Luke

[​IMG]

I came in after lap 1 and snacked on about 1/4 of an Odwalla bar and half a packet of Sport Beans. I forgot to take a few sips of Perpetuem.

[​IMG]

It was a short pit, and then I went back out for lap 2. My time as I crossed the line at the timing table was 1:07.

I had 1:05:27, 11.51mi, 1562ft of climbing. 10.5 avg MPH.

Lap 2 was a bit more spread out, but there were still plenty of people heading out toward Dam climb. I noticed Luke not too far ahead (he had finished lap one ahead of me, and barely stopped in the pits at all). He was off and on his bike with a derailleur problem. On Dam climb he finally had to stop and look into it.

I kept looking back, expecting him to catch up and pass me.

I actually slowed up a tad on lap 2. It was getting warm, and I figured he would want to catch up to me since he had been slightly ahead of me at the start of lap 2. So I thought I'd make an easier target of myself. I wasn't crawling, but no hammering it out either.

These videos aren't all from lap 2, but most of them are...

http://vimeo.com/1175779

It was actually 2 clips from lap one, a clip from lap 2, and then a clip from I think lap 6.

Luke did catch me on Marine Corps and then we finished out lap two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some Perpetuem, more of the Odwalla bar, the remaining Sport Beans, some cold water, and I think I was back out after that.

They recorded my time as 2:17~.

Lap 2 for me was 1:08:54, 11.06mi (I started lap 3 a little lap on the GPS), 10.5MPH. I think the avg went up due to traffic spreading out and being able to ride sections.

Lap 3 started at 11:19 am.

continued...