10speed crankset with all 9speed components?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jocache83, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Jocache83

Jocache83 New Member

Can i use a 10speed crank with 9speed components? the reason why i ask is because my old BB is no good and would like to try out an external bearing BB. plus the 10speed crankset is on sale for cheap (shimano slx). any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

2. Allrotor13b

Allrotor13b New Member

The chain width is different between 9- and 10-speed systems. If you can put the chainrings from the 9-speed crank on the 10-speed (i.e., if the offset between rings is the same and they have the same bolt center diameter), then i imagine it would work ok. i would not bank on it, though. The SLX 9-speed (HG, not HG-X) is very reasonably priced and boasts the last XT's technology. Tanking a quick look around, it seemed it was about $50 cheaper than the 10-speed crank most places.

3. markus onetime

markus onetime New Member

full time husband, beliver in Christ Jesus.
    Works fine for me. Using a Sram 2X10 crank with all Shimano 9 speed parts. Including chain. Just took a little fine tuning of the FD.

4. riiz

riiz Member

The cranksets are the same between the two, the difference between 9 and 10 speed is in the width between cogs in the cassette.

5. dg designs

dg designs Member

Motrgage Banking Cap Markets
    So the front chainrings are the same? I actually want to go 1x10 but I can do new cranks right now.

6. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    No, cr's are not the same, though close. 1x10 is best served with a ss cr up front.

7. OCMoto

OCMoto Member

Nerd
    Actually the chainring widths are the same from 9sp to 10sp(I have both and have measured them). The outer width of the chain and the cassette cog spacing is where the difference is. The main problem you run into on the 10 speed cranks is the 2x10 vs 3x10. The chainline is slightly different on 2x10. 3x10 cranks work fine on a 9 speed drive train and 3x9 cranks work fine on a 10 speed drive train. As a matter of fact even a 2x10 shifter will work using a 3x9 crank with a 9 speed front der in a 2x10 configuration.

8. badbietz

badbietz Get Rad

Account Manager
    Yep I have the new XT cranks which are 10 speed set up 2X9 with 9 speed cassette and chain.

9. SADJ

SADJ New Member

How about using a 10 speed chain with a 3x10 front, (XT 771), and a 9 speed rear? Will that work, or should I use a 9 speed chain?

10. markus onetime

markus onetime New Member

full time husband, beliver in Christ Jesus.
    I have used the KMC 10speed chain with XT 3X9 with no problems.

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

If anything you might end up finding better tunability with a ten speed chain, but def try with a nine speed chain first....... Will just depend on how well it lines up.

Although if you swap to a ten speed rear mech you then will need a ten speed chain. Cranks should be fine. The rings are in fact the same, but the spacing when mounted is ever so slightly closer

12. emr88

emr88 New Member

nerd
    I just installed a 10 spd sram compact crank on my 9spd shimano road bike.I added some super thin washers between the chainrings and lowered the front der. fwiw, the sram crank chainring (50t) says 10 spd only, but works perfect with my 9spd drivetrain.

13. heme11

heme11 Brake Rider

Field Tech
    I'm running 3x9 slx shifters, a sram xx FD, sram x7 2x10 crank, xt long cage RD and an 11-34 xt cassette on a shimano 10speed chain. It all works perfect.

i have ran the same setup with an SLX 3x10 FD and the shifting required special tuning. But it STILL WORKS. So to the original question just do it, it will work. :)

14. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    I have a 10sp SLX 3x10 crankset on an Anthem X 29er and needed new chainrings recently. I ordered some new (inner and middle) chainrings for what I thought were the same chainrings. There are 10sp SLX M660 cranks and 9sp SLX M660 cranks. The chainrings I received were "Mega-9" and although they are strikingly similar, they are not exactly the same. One of the inner chainrings (I forget which one) had an ever-so-slight offset and the shift pins on the middle ring were in different places. I went ahead and put the new 9 speed rings on the 10sp system and they work just fine. So, while they do have some differences, the 9sp chainrings have worked perfectly.

15. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but I recently acquired a set of these and wanted to know, from peoples experience with 10 speed cranks on a 9 speed drive train, do I need to run a 10 speed chain or can I stick to the 9 speed I have??

[​IMG]

16. bing!

bing! Active Member

Stick with 9sp chain and use the crank. You won't have a problem.

17. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    OK.... Seems like I been getting 40 different answers and no one could tell me yes or no or what to do to make it work.

I was about to trade these cranks for something new in 9 speed